Heft: A Novel by Liz Moore

Heft: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Liz Moore

Member:tnochum
Title:Heft: A Novel
Authors:Liz Moore
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Heft by Liz Moore (2012)

I liked pretty much everything about this book, including the design of the book itself. I loved the concept behind the story as well as the details of how it was realised. Every single character held some interest for me, even the ones I didn't like. Of course, my own personal misanthropy and isolationism gave me a particular insight and identification with the characters that not everyone else would share, so maybe I rated the book higher than it 'deserved' or would receive from a more objective and intelligent reviewer. And by the way, I completely reject the view that seems to have been put forward by some LT reviewers, that it's a great book except for the ending. I found the last part of the book to be entirely consistent with the quality of the rest of the novel. ( )
  oldblack | Feb 17, 2016 |
Recommend it! ( )
  pammosk | Jan 26, 2016 |
Interesting characters. The author makes the reader understand how disabling obesity is and how difficult it is to bridge the gap between the economically disadvantaged and the affluent. I was disappointed with the book's abrupt ending though. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Very well done-beautiful inner dialogue of Arthur's about comfort, fear, loneliness; each character's development of courage made this a story that kept me up most of the night. ( )
  andreasaria | Jan 24, 2016 |
This is the story of two lonely people, a 58-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy, each telling their story in first person, who are connected by a woman in an unusual way. It is a sweet and heart-warming tale, but it was different than I expected it was going to be. After I settled down to the fact that what I kept expecting to happen wasn't going to happen (3/4 way through the book!), I finally began to understand the story better and enjoy it more. ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
The writing is quirky, sometimes to a fault, yet original . . . Moore’s second novel wears its few kinks well
added by nsblumenfeld | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 14, 2011)

Only a hardhearted reader will remain immune to Kel’s troubled charm.
added by nsblumenfeld | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 3, 2011)

Moore's lovely novel (after The Words of Every Song) is about overcoming shame and loneliness and learning to connect. It is life-affirming but never sappy.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Lauren Gilbert (Oct 15, 2011)

Liz Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szarabajka, KeithNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Christine
The first thing you must know about me is that I am colossally fat.

A heartwarming novel about larger-than-life characters and second chances.

Former academic Arthur Opp weighs 550 pounds and hasn't left his rambling Brooklyn home in a decade. Twenty miles away, in Yonkers, seventeen-year-old Kel Keller navigates life as the poor kid in a rich school and pins his hopes on what seems like a promising baseball career—if he can untangle himself from his family drama. The link between this unlikely pair is Kel’s mother, Charlene, a former student of Arthur’s. After nearly two decades of silence, it is Charlene’s unexpected phone call to Arthur—a plea for help—that jostles them into action. Through Arthur and Kel’s own quirky and lovable voices, Heft tells the winning story of two improbable heroes whose sudden connection transforms both their lives. Like Elizabeth McCracken’s The Giant’s House, Heft is a novel about love and family found in the most unexpected places.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:23 -0400)

Arthur weighs 550 pounds and hasn't left his rambling Brooklyn home in a decade. Kel navigates life as a poor kid in a rich school, and pins his hopes on what seems like a promising baseball career. An unexpected connection transforms both their lives as they find sustenance and friendship in the most surprising places.… (more)

Liz Moore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

274 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible