Heft: A Novel by Liz Moore

Heft: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Liz Moore

Member:rachrun24
Title:Heft: A Novel
Authors:Liz Moore
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Heft by Liz Moore (2012)

The audio version of this book was beautifully narrated. I was mesmerized. I was disappointed in how the book ended, when I first finished it, but now.... I love how it is leaving me thinking. Great book! ( )
  LASMIT | Jan 14, 2015 |
This was beautiful. I felt so connected to Arthur. This was an absolutely lovely, character driven novel. ( )
  Lucifey | Jan 10, 2015 |
I loved this, so moving and heartfelt. ( )
  cjeskriett | Jan 1, 2015 |
Story a reclusive obese man and his relationship with a woman from his past. I liked the story and the caracters were very sympathetic and likeable. I would have liked a different ending but all and all an enjoyable read. ( )
  janismack | Dec 30, 2014 |
Excellent as an audiobook. Heft is a well-chosen title. The book introduces us to Arthur Opp, a former university professor who has retreated to his New York brownstone. His contact with people is limited due to his shy reserve and weight. One exception is the correspondence he has maintained for many years with a former student Charlene.

Charlene has also retreated to her home due to illness and alcoholism. Her son Kel is a high school senior who struggles with caring and not caring about his alcoholic mother while negotiating life -- where his mother formerly worked -- at a prep-style high school despite his poverty in Yonkers.

The story has the weight of the strong feelings and inner struggles of each of the characters. It is a memorable book and one I would recommend for a young or older adult. ( )
  esm07 | Aug 18, 2014 |
The writing is quirky, sometimes to a fault, yet original . . . Moore’s second novel wears its few kinks well
added by nsblumenfeld | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 14, 2011)

Only a hardhearted reader will remain immune to Kel’s troubled charm.
added by nsblumenfeld | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 3, 2011)

Moore's lovely novel (after The Words of Every Song) is about overcoming shame and loneliness and learning to connect. It is life-affirming but never sappy.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Lauren Gilbert (Oct 15, 2011)

Liz Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szarabajka, KeithNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Christine
The first thing you must know about me is that I am colossally fat.

A heartwarming novel about larger-than-life characters and second chances.

Former academic Arthur Opp weighs 550 pounds and hasn't left his rambling Brooklyn home in a decade. Twenty miles away, in Yonkers, seventeen-year-old Kel Keller navigates life as the poor kid in a rich school and pins his hopes on what seems like a promising baseball career—if he can untangle himself from his family drama. The link between this unlikely pair is Kel’s mother, Charlene, a former student of Arthur’s. After nearly two decades of silence, it is Charlene’s unexpected phone call to Arthur—a plea for help—that jostles them into action. Through Arthur and Kel’s own quirky and lovable voices, Heft tells the winning story of two improbable heroes whose sudden connection transforms both their lives. Like Elizabeth McCracken’s The Giant’s House, Heft is a novel about love and family found in the most unexpected places.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:31 -0400)

Arthur weighs 550 pounds and hasn't left his rambling Brooklyn home in a decade. Kel navigates life as a poor kid in a rich school, and pins his hopes on what seems like a promising baseball career. An unexpected connection transforms both their lives as they find sustenance and friendship in the most surprising places.… (more)

Liz Moore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,283,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible