The Romanovs: the Final Chapter by Robert K.…

The Romanovs: the Final Chapter (1995)

by Robert K. Massie

English (14)  Italian (1)  All languages (15)
I wanted to LOVE this book. After all, Massie is my favorite author of Romanov works. Unfortunately, I found the science and legal matters discussed and debated in too much detail. The beginning and closing chapters were fascinating, the middle dragged on. ( )
For Christopher
At midnight Yakov Yurovsky, the leader of the executioners, came up the stairs to awaken the family.

In July 1991, nine skeletons were exhumed from a shallow mass grave near Ekaterinburg, Siberia, a few miles from the infamous cellar room where the last tsar and his family had been murdered seventy-three years before. But were these the bones of the Romanovs? And if these were their remains, where were the bones of the two younger Romanovs supposedly murdered with the rest of the family? Was Anna Anderson, celebrated for more than sixty years in newspapers, books, and film, really Grand Duchess Anastasia? The Romanovs provides the answers, describing in suspenseful detail the dramatic efforts to discover the truth. Pulitzer Prize winner Robert K. Massie presents a colorful panorama of contemporary characters, illuminating the major scientific dispute between Russian experts and a team of Americans, whose findings, along with those of DNA scientists from Russia, America, and Great Britain, all contributed to solving one of the great mysteries of the twentieth century.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:34 -0400)

Provides facts and information about the Romanovs, the slain family of the last Russian tsar, the claims by some that Anna Anderson was really the Grand Duchess Anastasia, and the results of forensic tests on the skeletons found in a shallow grave in Siberia.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible