The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K.…

The Romanovs: The Final Chapter (1995)

by Robert K. Massie

English (15)  Italian (1)  All languages (16)
The question of what became of the Romanovs was one the most popular mysteries of the 20th Century, giving rise to any number of fraudulent pretenders, some of whom were mad and others who were determined to get their hands on the mythical millions which the Royal family allegedly sent to the Bank of England during the war.

Massie paints a stark and realistic picture of the murder, and uses various sources to describe what was done to the bodies and the disinformation put out by the fledgling Soviet government: that the family was dead there was little doubt, but until the bodies were found and identified there would always be a smidgeon of doubt - the smidgeon that gave rise to dozens of imposters.
More than 20 years after writing Nicholas and Alexandra, Massie revisited the state of play in the Romanov saga: he details the story of how the bodies were found in 1991, the process of identification using DNA and other methods, the problems within the Russian Orthodox Church at home and abroad, and the various branches of the Romanov family competing for the title of Pretender to the Throne of all the Russias.
The story is exciting as any novel and the writing is a page-turning delight: unfortunately, as I discovered too late, the book was published in 1995 leaving 20 years of history and a myriad questions unexamined. The mystery of the where-abouts of two of the Royal children, the mystery of the missing Grand-Duchess, the mystery of the kissing suitcase, the issue of the funeral - issues left hanging because, in 1995, there were no answers.
The Romanovs: The Final Chapter is like reading a really good thriller, only to find the titular final chapter is missing. By the way, I should add I read the book deep into the countryside, many hours away from access to Google and the answers: possibly I may have been less irked by the age of the book had I immediate internet access and could find the answers as I read. ( )
  adpaton | May 27, 2015 |
I wanted to LOVE this book. After all, Massie is my favorite author of Romanov works. Unfortunately, I found the science and legal matters discussed and debated in too much detail. The beginning and closing chapters were fascinating, the middle dragged on. ( )
For Christopher
At midnight Yakov Yurovsky, the leader of the executioners, came up the stairs to awaken the family.

In July 1991, nine skeletons were exhumed from a shallow mass grave near Ekaterinburg, Siberia, a few miles from the infamous cellar room where the last tsar and his family had been murdered seventy-three years before. But were these the bones of the Romanovs? And if these were their remains, where were the bones of the two younger Romanovs supposedly murdered with the rest of the family? Was Anna Anderson, celebrated for more than sixty years in newspapers, books, and film, really Grand Duchess Anastasia? The Romanovs provides the answers, describing in suspenseful detail the dramatic efforts to discover the truth. Pulitzer Prize winner Robert K. Massie presents a colorful panorama of contemporary characters, illuminating the major scientific dispute between Russian experts and a team of Americans, whose findings, along with those of DNA scientists from Russia, America, and Great Britain, all contributed to solving one of the great mysteries of the twentieth century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:48 -0400)

Provides facts and information about the Romanovs, the slain family of the last Russian tsar, the claims by some that Anna Anderson was really the Grand Duchess Anastasia, and the results of forensic tests on the skeletons found in a shallow grave in Siberia.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,083,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible