The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K.…

The Romanovs: The Final Chapter (1995)

by Robert K. Massie

English (11)  Italian (1)  All (12)
I misunderstood the blurb for this book and was expecting details of the last days of the Romanovs. Instead it is book about forensic science and the search for old bones. If that is what you want then this book is fine. I was disappointed. ( )
  fhudnell | Aug 1, 2017 |
The question of what became of the Romanovs was one the most popular mysteries of the 20th Century, giving rise to any number of fraudulent pretenders, some of whom were mad and others who were determined to get their hands on the mythical millions which the Royal family allegedly sent to the Bank of England during the war.

Massie paints a stark and realistic picture of the murder, and uses various sources to describe what was done to the bodies and the disinformation put out by the fledgling Soviet government: that the family was dead there was little doubt, but until the bodies were found and identified there would always be a smidgeon of doubt - the smidgeon that gave rise to dozens of imposters.
More than 20 years after writing Nicholas and Alexandra, Massie revisited the state of play in the Romanov saga: he details the story of how the bodies were found in 1991, the process of identification using DNA and other methods, the problems within the Russian Orthodox Church at home and abroad, and the various branches of the Romanov family competing for the title of Pretender to the Throne of all the Russias.
The story is exciting as any novel and the writing is a page-turning delight: unfortunately, as I discovered too late, the book was published in 1995 leaving 20 years of history and a myriad questions unexamined. The mystery of the where-abouts of two of the Royal children, the mystery of the missing Grand-Duchess, the mystery of the kissing suitcase, the issue of the funeral - issues left hanging because, in 1995, there were no answers.
The Romanovs: The Final Chapter is like reading a really good thriller, only to find the titular final chapter is missing. By the way, I should add I read the book deep into the countryside, many hours away from access to Google and the answers: possibly I may have been less irked by the age of the book had I immediate internet access and could find the answers as I read. ( )
  adpaton | May 27, 2015 |
This seems to go hand in hand with Massie's biography of Nicholas and Alexandra. I seriously am just gorging on the Romanov tragedy recently, so this was the perfect followup to Nicholas and Alexandra, almost an epilogue of sorts. The only thing I will say is, this was first published in 1995/1996, and two of the Romanov children's skeletons were still missing - since then, everyone has been found and accounted for, and I'd love to have that reflected in the book. Otherwise, fascinating as always. ( )
  aelizabethj | Apr 1, 2013 |
I loved some parts of this book, while others were so-so, at least for my tastes. I liked: the Romanov's final days, their deaths, the mystery surrounding the burial of their bodies, the DNA research to determine whose bones they had, and the interviews with the surviving Romanovs. Liked less: the discussion of the pretenders, especially the going on and on about Anna Anderson, and the DNA research to disprove her identity. Overall, I enjoyed the book, but I'm glad it wasn't any longer. ( )
  anneearney | Mar 31, 2013 |
After reading Nicholas & Alexandra by Robert Massie, the next logical book would be this one – published in 1995 to update “what happened” after the murders of Nicholas, Alexandra and their children in 1918.

Mr. Massie, a wonderful writer, gets into the initial and subsequent investigations, the finding of the bodies, proving they are the Tsar and his family, and DNA evidence. It also tells the stories of some of the people who claimed to be members of the family who survived – most notably an Anastasia “pretender” – and descendants of the Russian aristocracy.

Although not as compelling as the author’s biographies, this book was an amazing read, interesting as only Robert Massie can make it. Now, all I need is an update of this book! ( )
  NewsieQ | Oct 30, 2012 |
For Christopher
At midnight Yakov Yurovsky, the leader of the executioners, came up the stairs to awaken the family.

In July 1991, nine skeletons were exhumed from a shallow mass grave near Ekaterinburg, Siberia, a few miles from the infamous cellar room where the last tsar and his family had been murdered seventy-three years before. But were these the bones of the Romanovs? And if these were their remains, where were the bones of the two younger Romanovs supposedly murdered with the rest of the family? Was Anna Anderson, celebrated for more than sixty years in newspapers, books, and film, really Grand Duchess Anastasia? The Romanovs provides the answers, describing in suspenseful detail the dramatic efforts to discover the truth. Pulitzer Prize winner Robert K. Massie presents a colorful panorama of contemporary characters, illuminating the major scientific dispute between Russian experts and a team of Americans, whose findings, along with those of DNA scientists from Russia, America, and Great Britain, all contributed to solving one of the great mysteries of the twentieth century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:48 -0400)

Provides facts and information about the Romanovs, the slain family of the last Russian tsar, the claims by some that Anna Anderson was really the Grand Duchess Anastasia, and the results of forensic tests on the skeletons found in a shallow grave in Siberia.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible