The Temptation: A Kindred Novel by Alisa…

The Temptation: A Kindred Novel

by Alisa Valdes

345329,500 (3)None

It obviously isn't fair for me to give this a full review if I didn't finish it--even if it was a goodreads first reads giveaways. But when, under 50 pages I'm already drowning in cliches and terrible dialogue (is it terrible because it's cliched or is it terrible on it's own? I don't know where the cliches end or begin anymore) and I just couldn't anymore.

Maybe this is a huge signal that I should take a break from the young adult genre--maybe I'm just burned out their plots. But then I think, the young adult genre can produce diamonds too, it's just more coal to sift through than usual and I try again. Try, try again. ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |
I really, really wanted to love this book! It sounded so interesting, so tempting, and I had high expectations for it. But, The Temptation fell flat for me. It wasn’t the story that I didn’t like. Shane and Travis were adorable, although at times the connection they had seemed forced and weird. I really loved the paranormal/supernatural/ghost thing that this Kindred series is about. That is the main reason why I will read the next one. (Uh, that cliffhanger is killing me!)

It was the writing that I couldn’t get past. It didn’t seem to flow, and this made it hard to read the story. There were many things in this book that seemed out of place and unnecessary. Some things really didn’t add anything to Shane and Travis’s story.

So while I want to read the next book in the Kindred series, I’m not eager to run out and buy it the first day it hits shelves.

*won from Goodreads ( )
  emily.s | May 6, 2013 |
Valdes's The Temptation is the first book in her Kindred trilogy, and the action starts in chapter one. Shane is on her way to her performance on an isolated highway when a storm hits causing her car to wreck. Near death, a mysterious stranger saves Shane. It is this chance meeting that pulls Shane into a supernatural world that exists alongside our own. Valdes does a great job with her development of Shane who is a privileged student who is popular dating the most popular boy going through the motions in the beginning to a strong young woman who comes out of her shell willing to take on the supernatural to protect the ones she loves by the end. Shane's dog Buddy is a great sidekick and a cute addition to the story. The world building is well done and at a good pace through the use of Travis the mysterious stranger who slowly awakens Shane to this new world and his past. The book is full of action, drama, and a hint of romance that keeps the reader turning the pages. Overall it was a great read that I would recommend, and I am looking forward to book two. ( )
  Sable677 | May 28, 2012 |
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This book takes all the fallback cliches of the young adult genre and brings them into a story fill with ghosts and evil.

Opening Sentence: The storm came out of nowhere.

The Review:

Shane is driving through New Mexico heading to her violin concert when an odd coyote jumps in front of her car. Swerving to avoid it she runs off the road and would have died if it were not for Travis and his magic healing powers. Travis is a temptation — think ghost — and Shane is attracted to him instantly when their souls recognize each other. He’s a gorgeous cowboy, which is an interesting addition to his character. Honestly, his backstory, his life and death, was the most interesting part of the book. I wanted to know more about the broken Travis before he died than the perfect temptation version of him.

Frankly, this book didn’t really do it for me. There’s nothing to complain about from the writing standpoint. In a number of places Shane is a funny and engaging heroine, but she’s also kind of useless. While I can completely understand that battling supernatural ghosts isn’t something your everyday girl learns in high school, there were a lot of moments when I as the reader knew Shane was smarter than the situation Valdes put her in. Shane’s not stupid, she’s just out of her depth. I felt throughout the story that the author was prohibiting her character development.

It took a long time for me to believe in Travis as a character, much less as the hero and love interest. He’s gorgeous, caring, sweet and all things good; Shane falls in love with him in less than a page. Like, literally the instant he comes into the book she knows they’re meant to be together. While I don’t want to say that there can’t be guys out there that are perfect in every way…no actually, I’ll just say that. I think the author really missed a chance in the dialogue to develop the love story and her heroes. Valdes didn’t give any of her characters flaws or depth or ways to grow in The Temptation. The good guys are 100% good and Victor, our evil villain, is 100% bad. There are no shades of grey, no deeper, meaningful conflict.

The mystery aspect was very linear, which is why I’m not mentioning a lot of it here. While the mystery angle to The Temptation definitely made it easier to swallow the love story, it’s a pretty predictable book. The religion mythology mash-up Valdes has based this series on is something I really hope to see expanded in the next two books. The idea of temptations as a kind of ghost is really intriguing and I think she can do a lot with it. I’m definitely not rushing out to pick up the sequel, but I think if she took the time in book two to develop Shane and Travis, their love, and add some shades of grey to the whole plot I’d probably continue with the series.

Notable Scene:

“Something wrong?” I asked.

He shook his head. “Nah. Not really. Just getting late, is all. I’m not supposed to be out after dark, but I can’t just leave you here with Victor out there.” He looked conflicted.

“Who’s Victor?”

“My enemy,”he said point-blank. It was a strange thing to say.

“You have an enemy?”

“Any man who stands for anything good has enemies,” he said. “Men without them are usually cowards.”

The Kindred Trilogy:

1. The Temptation

FTC Advisory: Harper Teen provided me with a copy of The Temptation. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | May 28, 2012 |
A good ghost story I always adore to read. And this story, it hooked me. I love the intense plot line and a love that grows before your eyes.

What I liked most about this book is the plot line. I fell in love with another series similar to this one. A ghost who is fighting evil and finds his kindred. I love this types of plot line cause of the redemption in it. Travis was unable to move on cause of the bad things he done. By doing good things he is making his way back to where he needs to be. I like that the plot pacing is monumental. Nothing is giving away too fast yet the reader is given the right information at the right time.

The characters of the book I like. Each unique and bold, Travis is my favorite. I am interested in his past and what his future holds. Shane is another character that quickly caught my eye. You can definitely tell she is not the same even before the accident. I like the change she endured after the accident and how she held on to what she knew.

The love interest in the book is no surprise however, I did enjoy their passion. I can really tell while reading this book the deep love that they felt for each other. The constant sacrifices for each other made it quite clear that this was no ordinary love but something extraordinary!
The Temptation is romantic and entertaining. Beautiful and heart warming, there is no amount of dark that can over power their love. The Temptation is an increasingly passionate story that leaves you satisfied. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Mar 13, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062024205, Paperback)

His touch was electric.

His eyes were magnetic.

His lips were a temptation. . . .

But was he real?

Shane is near death after crashing her car on a long stretch of empty highway in rural New Mexico when she is miraculously saved by a mysterious young man who walks out of nowhere. She feels an instant energy between them, both a warmth that fills her soul and a tingle that makes her shiver. But who, or what, is he? For the first time in her life, she believes in the term "soul mates"—Travis is her destiny, and she is his. But she soon discovers that Travis is dead and strict rules govern kindred spirits of different dimensions. Even a kiss could destroy both their souls. And while Travis is almost impossible to resist, temptation proves to be the kindest enemy they encounter.

In this part romance, part supernatural thriller, true love discovers it may not be able to surpass all—especially the power of pure evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:09 -0400)

Rescued from a car crash in New Mexico, sixteen-year-old Shane meets her soul mate, only to discover that he is dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible