The New Death and others by James Hutchings

The New Death and others

by James Hutchings

Random very short stories and poems. Some of the stories were very funny. I am not a fan of the poetry portions ( I just don't like poetry, nothing against his in particular) but the story portions made up for the poetry part. I would recommend it to a few of my friends because I think this is a pretty decent read. ( )
  demonite93 | May 18, 2015 |
This review can also be found on my blog, Now is Gone on June 22, 2012.

Book Info: Genre: Short stories/Poetry; Fantasy/magical realism
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Readers

My Thoughts: These very enjoyable short stories and poems run the gambit from humorous – the demoness who inflicts ironic punishments – to Lovecraftian – the poem about Cairo – to thought-provoking - “The God of the Poor” among others. I found myself laughing (for example, at the Holmes satire), thinking and thoroughly enjoying myself throughout reading this book. There was not a single story or poem in this book that I did not enjoy. There are a lot of themes that show up time and again – the town of Telelee, the various gods and goddesses, puns galore, thought-provoking ideas...

If you like stories of any type, if you like reading at all, you will definitely find something in this little book to enjoy. I imagine that most people will enjoy them all, just like I did. If you don’t yet have this terrific little book, go grab a copy now!

Disclosure: I received a free e-copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Death gets a roommate...

An electronic Pope faces a difficult theological question...

A wicked vizier makes a terrible bargain...

44 stories. 19 poems. No whiny vampires. There's a thin line between genius and insanity, and James Hutchings has just crossed it – but from which direction? ( )
  Katyas | May 11, 2013 |
The New Death and others is an interesting collection of short stories and poems. As with any collection of stories, I liked some of them, hated a few and others were just OK for me. Two memorable ones were “How the Isle of Cats Got Its Name" and "Weary Love"

James Hutchings has an active imagination. This body of work is a smorgasbord of myths, fables, parodies and puns. There were political and religious views woven into a lot of the work. Some racial and ethnic profiling may upset the unsuspecting reader. In all honesty, a lot of the intended humor missed its mark with me. I would have liked to have seen an overall theme to this novel. When I purchase a collection of works, it is usually because the stories or poems all share a common theme that interests me. While some of the tales had a good story line, I felt cheated. They weren't developed enough and felt rushed. I would have preferred a longer story with more details. Hutchings’s fantasy stories show promise. This collection is available as an eBook .
I want to thank author James Hutchings for providing me with a copy of his eBook in exchange for my unbiased review.
https://www.facebook.com/kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |

https://www.facebook.com/kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |
The New Death and Others is a collection of 44 stories and 19 poems. Some of the stories are so short they could be a vignette…if they’d been drawn instead of written.

Irreverent, cheeky, sarcastic and very amusing is how I’d describe this collection. I skipped only three items: Under the Pyramids, The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune and The Garden of Adompha because I couldn’t get into them. The rest were pretty funny, at least to me they were. I’ve been told I have a strange sense of humor sometimes though, so what amused me in this collection may not be quite so amusing to others.

A fast easy read and an enjoyable way to pass the time. I groaned, snickered, giggled and even LOL’d my way thru this hodgepodge collection. A great way to pass the time.

*The author provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Feb 7, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

James Hutchings's book The New Death and others was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

James Hutchings is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible