An Illicit Engagement by Cecilia Gray

An Illicit Engagement

by Cecilia Gray

Chastity Drummond is the oldest daughter of a self made socialite. She is invited to all the balls and social gatherings because of who she is and nothing more. Chastity has her sights set on this one guy, Mr. Highster who she thinks will benefit the company in the long run. But things are not going as planned and she decides to take matters into her on hands to get Mr. Highster to notice her. She ask her neighbor to help with the cause. When this happens does she still want to continue the plan?

Lord Lucas Willoughby is know as the Matchmaking Baron. He acquired the name by being engaged 6 times and each lady leaving him for someone else who is a love match. Lord Willoughby is trying to keep a low profile this season, but that doesn't happen once Chastity has gets involved. Will he be able to hold his own with this lady??

This is my first time reading anything by this author. I loved reading this book. I did not want to put it down. She started becoming one of my favorite authors, I have to read one or two to be sure. I can't wait to read Cecilia's others books. I highly recommend this book to others. ( )
  shyalwayz | Jan 31, 2016 |
Just simply way too short....left me wanting more.

I so wish the books in the Gentlemen Next Door Series were longer than 50-some pages. I love the writing, and the plot has to much potential, but due to the shortness seem to rush through. ( )

katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
This is a delightful book that is the second in The Gentlemen Next Door series by Ms. Gray. Please be aware this review may contain spoilers.

This book is about Chastity who we briefly met in the first book, A Delightful Arrangement.

Chastity is determined to marry someone who will make sure that her father's shipping empire will succeed another generation. Chastity is determined that Mr. Highster is the man for the job. What Chastity does not realize is that Lucas, Lord Willoughby who is a Baron.

Lucas is also known as "Matchmaking Baron" since he has had 6 betrothed that married other men who came into lots of money. His last betrothed went to marry his older brother. So Lucas is a little mad about all of this.

Chastity has ask Lucas to pretend to be betrothed to her so she can get the attention of Mr. Highster. Chastity believes this is the only man who can save and restore her father's shipping empire.

As like in the first of this series the author did not use the correct wording for the period I have taken off one carrot for this. But this is still a wonderful book and a great read. The two books in this series can both be read in about an hour.

The bunnies and I give this book 4 Carrots. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |

Lord Lucas Willoughby earned his moniker as the Matchmaking Baron after his six engagements ended with each lady happily wed-to someone else. He swears off marriage proposals, until his headstrong neighbor proposes something else entirely. Chastity Drummond has her sights set on a man who barely sees her as a woman, much less a potential wife. She can't seem to get him on bended knee, but knows an engagement to the Matchmaking Baron will turn his head. Lucas and Chastity's charade takes on a life of its own. As feigned attraction becomes real, they wonder if they might already be perfectly matched. Their illicit engagement will inevitably end in marriage-but to whom? * * * ABOUT THE GENTLEMEN NEXT DOOR SERIES The complete series of novellas is available now! Don't miss The Gentlemen Next Door, because sometimes a lady in need of love need look no further than next door. Each of these shorter, sweet stories can be enjoyed as a standalone, but if you love one, then you'll probably love the entire series. Book 1: A Delightful Arrangement Book 2: An Illicit Engagement Book 3: A Dangerous Expectation Book 4: A Flirtatious Rendezvous Characters you meet in The Gentlemen Next Door also appear in the Kiss A Belle series, which features longer novels. While each story can be enjoyed as a standalone, you may want to read them all. Books 1-3 occur concurrently and can be read in any order; Books 4 and 5 follow respectively. Book 1: Kiss Me After Book 2: Kiss Me Darkly Book 3: Kiss Me Sweetly Book 4: Kiss Me Softly Book 5: Kiss Me Again.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Cecilia Gray's book An Illicit Engagement was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Cecilia Gray is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,646,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible