Let Us Prey by Jamie Lee Scott

Santa Cruz, a beach town, where you don't expect a group of role-playing vampires and werewolves on a Friday nigt.
From Monterey to Santa Cruz Gotcha Detective Agency searches for a killer - a killer who cut off the head of a young woman and left the head in the bowl on the dining room table of her boss gothic author Lauren Silke.
Some snark, a little romance, lots of shock! Ending with a twist I didn't see coming. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Aug 23, 2017 |
I love the Gotcha Detective Agency, and the people who work for it! They are all individuals, and vividly drawn. In an ongoing series, the supporting characters are vital, and these are great.

Mimi- our first-person protagonist- is interesting, too. She has an eye for a fine figure of a lad- but that's well i the tradition of male PIs distracted by "dames", so I enjoyed it.

The plot is something of a shout-out to Hamilton's vampire novels, and also vamp role-playing games. I'm not completely sure the overall solution made sense- the sword was not accounted for, for instance- but the overall read was fun. ( )
  cissa | Nov 20, 2016 |
Decently put together mystery. I didn't guess the murderer before it was revealed. There are aspects of Scott's writing that I don't agree with so I probably won't read more in this series. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
While the PI meets a Detective romantic twist isn't a new one, the authors use of role playing based on the PI's clients best-selling books made this a unique and fun read. ( )
  Linda_Andrews | Apr 25, 2013 |
I received this novel from a GoodReads giveaway, this in no way affects the content of my review.

This novel follows Mimi Capurro, a former member of the Secret Service turned Private Investigator, as she investigates the murder of a bestselling author's personal assistant. There's only one problem though, her ex-boyfriend Nick is one of the police officers investigating the murder and he wants her to back off the case and let the police investigate. The investigation leads Mimi to a Vampire live role-playing game that is somehow connected with the murder, and it also leaves Mimi targeted by the murderer. Will Mimi break the case or will she be forced to leave it to the police?

I would give this a 4 and here is my explanation why. The characters were well-developed, the plot was interesting and some of the twists definitely surprised me. I did enjoy the complicated relationship between Mimi and Nick, and I enjoyed that the background of their relationship was laid out in detail. The one thing that I felt did detract from the story were some minor typos. I feel like this was a great start to a series and I would be interested in reading more about Mimi. ( )
  dpappas | Dec 26, 2011 |

A former secret service agent turned private detective, Mimi Capurro.

A disgraced NFL player turned homicide detective, Nick Christianson.

A snarky (who knows what his background really is) computer forensics specialist, Charles Parks, trying to keep them from killing each other.

And now they must find the killer of a New York Times bestselling author’s assistant.

Gotcha Detective Agency was hired to protect the author when it was the assistant who really needed protection. And now it’s a race to see who can find the killer.

Mimi is determined to make up for puking all over Nick’s crime scene by solving the murder before he does. Who will solve this case first?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,324,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible