Soul of Yosemite : portraits of light and…

Soul of Yosemite : portraits of light and stone

by Ed Cooper

6None1,268,033NoneNone

No reviews

This is a guide to the sights of Yosemite National Park, an exploration of rock in its many forms as found in the park. The third book in the Soul of the Heights series (Soul of the Heights – 50 Years Going to the Mountains [2007], and Soul of the Rockies – Portraits of America’s Largest Mountain Range [2008]), this beautiful full-color edition will appeal to the 3.7 million visitors each year to Yosemite National Park. The text provides interesting bits of the history of Yosemite, while the photographs document some of that same history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:51 -0400)

Celebrate one of America's most iconic natural wonders with this stunning and singular photographic feast. Legendary mountaineer and award-winning photographer Ed Cooper captures the soul of Yosemite National Park in an entirely new way, zeroing in on its breathtaking peaks, ranges, and rocks. With beautiful full-color photographs throughout, this one-of-a-kind pictorial travelogue guides visitors to the park's great landforms. It is organized in the order that a visitor arriving for the first time in Yosemite Valley would see the natural wonders of the park, which draws 3.7 million visitors annually.

Set to be a treasured keepsake for anyone with a love of the mountains and a passion for this magnificent region, Soul of Yosemite is quite simply a distillation of the most glorious views this magnificent mountain range has to offer.

From the author's introduction

My first view of Yosemite Valley was short, taking perhaps two hours. I arrived in the valley in one of the many clunker cars I owned then, during a spring break from college. The time was March, it was raining lightly, and only the lower parts of the great rock formations were visible. I had heard of climber Warren Harding's attempt to ascend the Nose of El Capitan, but he was not on the rock as far as I could see. . . . The year was 1958. . . .

Harding finished his climb of the Nose, along with Wayne Merry and George Whitmore, in November 1958. It was not until four years later that I returned to Yosemite Valley, first to climb, then to enter into a romance with recording images of one of the most fantastic places on this planet.… (more)

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,354,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible