The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (The…

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (The Steampunk Chronicles) (edition 2012)

by Kady Cross

Member:mlorio
Title:The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (The Steampunk Chronicles)
Authors:Kady Cross
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Have in paper, Read, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fanatsy, YA

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

Recently added byeilonwyhan, MidnightFae, yolanda.herbst, morandia, shleyATB, private library, naybyers, liltalone

The second in The Steampunk Chronicles, this book takes place in New York five days after the first book, 'The Girl in the Steel Corset,' left off. It follows teenagers Griffin, Sam, Finley, and Emily as they try to clear their friend Jasper of murder charges.

Jasper has been taken by Reno Dalton, his old gang boss. Dalton is threatening everyone Jasper loves in order to force Jasper to return a device Jasper stole from him. Jasper knows Dalton won't do anything good with the device, but feels he has no choice in the matter.

There are some interesting developments, character-wise as well as plot-wise, in this book; fans of Cross's 'The Girl in the Steel Corset' won't be disappointed. ( )
  Lee_and_JJ | Jun 19, 2014 |
Great book! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
My only issue with the plot was the in-your-face characterization of Mei Xing which made the plot line involving her a bit predictable.

But it was still the fun, roller coaster ride of a read that I'm coming to expect from Kady Cross. Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  jcmontgomery | Mar 12, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this second installment of The Steampunk Chronicles. It is the continuing story of Griffin, Sam, Emily, and Finley. This installment sees our heroes in America. They have come to help a friend accused of murder. I think that the writer does a convincing job incorporating the idea of machines and flying machines, robots and such into Victorian England and early America. I would recommend the series to both young and older teen. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Feb 11, 2014 |
Originally posted on my blog: The Bibliophile's Corner

I absolutely loved The Girl in the Steel Corset and when I saw Clockwork Collar on Net Galley, I jumped at the chance to read it. Knowing that the first book left us with such a cliffhanger, I was excited to be thrust into action and adventure again. And thankfully, I was not at all disappointed.

*Warning: There are a couple of spoilers in terms of how the first book ends and relationships. If you have not read The Girl in the Steel Corset and you don’t want surprises ruined, don’t read this review!*

The book opens with Finley, Griffin, Sam, and Emily flying to America to rescue their friend Jasper, who is wanted for murder. Once they get to NY, they begin to find out things are not as black and white as they would like. Why is Jasper hanging around a notorious criminal? Is Jasper really innocent? These questions and more flood Finley and her friends and she quickly figures out a way to find answers.

Finley manages to catch Dalton’s, Jasper’s “friend”, eyes and manages to infiltrate his gang to get close to Jasper. Griffin, Sam, and Emily take to calling upon a famous inventor to figure out what sort of device a man like Dalton who go to any lengths to get and how they can stop it.

This book is non-stop action, thrill, and more importantly, character driven. We see a lot more of Jasper than we did in the first book. We discover that he left behind the woman he loves, Mei, who is now a prisoner to Dalton, and that she is how Jasper is being manipulated. Along this romance plot, we of course have Finley and Griffin. I have to say that they were making me angry. Finley is fighting her feelings and keeps telling herself that nothing can ever happen because he is a duke and she is from the working class. Griffin is fighting his feels and keep telling himself that he can’t trust her because she might go to her dark side. I wanted to reach into this book and shake them both silly until they got their act together. Then we have Sam and Emily. They are my favorite together. A wee Irish lass with the big Irish attitude and the large, brooding mostly indistructable man. Their love is so innocent and I love seeing them together.

I did have a couple of downers with this book. The first being I predicted a couple of the outcomes in the end of the book early on. I really think it’s just because as a writer, I try to figure out plot twists and usually the first or second one I come up with that I would do as a writer, is in fact what the writer did. That being said, it did not take at all from my enjoyment of this book. Kady Cross is brilliant.

The second downer to this book and The Girl with the Steel Corset, is that the characters ages don’t match the way the characters are portrayed. Maybe since I’m 21, I see these characters as 20 year olds and maybe 16 year olds who read this book see them as 16-18 year olds. And while I love YA authors, I am beginning to notice that a lot of them, in my opinion, are making their characters act so much older than their age. I know that it is possible to be really mature at 16, but at the same time, maybe YA authors should start writing books for the 20 year old group of readers since their characters are already portrayed as so much older. End rant.

Seriously though, this book is brilliant. There are twists and turns and thrills in every chapter. And if you haven’t read The Girl in the Steel Corset, do so now! You have until the end of May to read the first book so you can get your hands on this lovely sequel.
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade ; the dangerous device Jasper stole from him for the life of the girl Jasper loves. One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens. From the rough streets of lower Manhattan to elegant Fifth Avenue, the motley crew of teens with supernatural abilities is on Jasper's elusive trail. And they're about to discover how far they'll go for friendship.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible