Bullets and Fire by Joe R. Lansdale

Bullets and Fire (edition 2011)

by Joe R. Lansdale

Member:clark.hallman
Title:Bullets and Fire
Authors:Joe R. Lansdale
Info:Gere Donovan Press (2011), Edition: 1.0, Kindle Edition, 36 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Tags:fiction, crime, 2012read, Kindle, eBook, short story

Bullets and Fire by Joe R. Lansdale

Violent and gritty are massive understatements when describing this short story of revenge from the master of mojo Joe R. Lansdale. "Bullets and Fire" is one of four short stories from by Lansdale and Gere Donovan Press presently offered as free e-book downloads. The tale revolves around Tray, who punches a random little girl in the face, smashing her nose. The act is part of an initiation rite to gain Tray entry into a local gang of drugs, arms and violence dealing street thugs. The reason Tray is so desperate to join the gang and get into their inner sanctum soon becomes clear in a bloody tale of vengeance and revenge. The plot of "Bullets and Fire" is paper thin and it's fairly obvious where the tale is heading from early on. Lansdale, however, does it with so much hyper-violent style and noir panache to make it absolutely breathless and highly intriguing. He effortlessly evokes characters and locations and his dialogue is smooth, hard-boiled and hugely entertaining. The story is incredibly bloody and violent, so it won't be to everyone's taste, but the confident style and direct narrative makes this a short, sharp powerful tale of gory revenge and the incredibly costly vengeance. ( )
  calum-iain | May 25, 2014 |
Overview.....

"Dad told me once, that if people don't care about where they live, the way they act, people they associate with, they get lost in the dark, can't find their way back cause there's no light left. I had taken a pretty good step into the shadows tonight." It's payback time, in this short story by Joe R. Lansdale.

Another freebie short story/novella/chap book picked up for free on Amazon website. As with the two others I’ve read recently from Lansdale, I didn’t turn cartwheels after reading this. I just don’t think these shorts in any way measure up to the full length Hap and Leonard novels he’s churned out on and off through the years.

Churlish to complain about something you got for nothing, so I won’t. As Lansdale says in his intro, it’s a tale of revenge and it worked well enough.

Another upside – I can cheat a bit on my reading figures, add 1 to the total!

3 from 5 ( )
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
A quick read, and a good one! It's your basic revenge tale, with some twists. Rule-don't f with a guy's family! Well, they did, and he's out to even the score, big time! I liked the pace, and the action. Good ending too! Bam! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Feb 14, 2014 |
Bullets and Fire, by Joe R. Lansdale, is a very violent, hard-boiled crime short story about a man’s vengeance against a street gang. ( )
  clark.hallman | Dec 24, 2012 |
Brutal, enjoyable short story is also quite sentimental. No surprises, but very well told and with a hard edge of blood and pain that packs more impact than some of Lansdale's other work that mixes in humor and grotesque jokes. This story never cracks a smile, and it largely succeeds in delivering maximum impact.

This is a short story published as a Kindle edition (free when I got it) as a teaser for other Lansdale books now being released as eBooks. ( )
  datrappert | Dec 3, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,623,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible