Death and Resurrection by R. A. MacAvoy

Death and Resurrection (2011)

by R. A. MacAvoy

I loved her earlier books and this new work by RA MacAvoy did not disappoint.

I'm very happy that her health has improved enough for her to write again (see the interview at http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/feature-interview-r-a-macavoy/ ) I hope that she continues to stay well and am looking forward to reading her next contribution.

JLsBibliomania | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have really loved RA MacAvoy's writing, starting all the way back with Tea with Black Dragon. The Grey Horse is part of the scenery on the inside of my head, and the Lens series floored me several times. So I was thrilled to see that she is writing again.

For me this was reminiscent of Black Dragon and Twisting the Rope, that sort of modern day fantasy/mystery set among artists - in Dragon, it was a musician, here its a visual artist. I know these people, I have had dinner and arguments with people just like these. In fact one of them still has my potato fork. Of course the ones I know don't disapparate, or at least if they do they don't tell me about it. But still, I feel very at home with these characters.

This particular book is a set of four closely related stories involving the same set of people. I liked the first three a lot, the fourth felt sketched in, unfinished. But I'm so happy to see MacAvoy back and still doing what she does so well that I'm feeling pretty forgiving about the weak fourth.

Here's hoping this is the start of much more from a writer I respect and enjoy!
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |
Ewen Young is a Chinese American painter and martial artist. A brush with death gives him the ability to enter the spirit world. His life gets more complicated from there.

Although plenty of stuff happens, this is more about characters than plot. It is really four closely linked stories than a coherent novel. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jan 10, 2012 |
First up, yes it is another version of The Go Between/In Between, BUT it then continues on with 3 more stories or novellas about Ewen Young. So, if you buy this one you don't need to track down the other two, limited-release books (unless you're a completist, in which case do go ahead!), but if you have and liked either of the others you'll certainly get your money's worth from this one. :)

Very gentle character-based storytelling (despite all the murders). All of R.A.MacAvoy's stories are written in quite different styles, but this one is probably most like her first - Tea with the Black Dragon - but with the meditation, martial arts and general body awareness of the Lens series. ( )
  kaffles | Dec 20, 2011 |

R. A. MacAvoyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Manzieri, MaurizioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dolly Smith... and with thanks to Mr. Thomas Keu, for all the grace he lent to Ewen Young.
Ewen Young liked drawing from life. He was good at it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,744,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible