A Brew To A Kill by Cleo Coyle

A Brew To A Kill

by Cleo Coyle

When a friend of our heroine Claire Cosi is hit by a speeding van while leaving the Village Blend coffee shop, Claire feels she’s to blame. After all, if Lilly Beth hadn’t been visiting her it never would have happened. Investigating the hit-and-run is Max Buckman, accident investigator for the NYPD.

Buckman is a real character with a team of crack investigators, armed with bandoliers full of tools of the trade. And he knows Mike Quinn, Claire’s long-time beau, who is away in D.C. being wooed by the feds. As always, there is more to the story than what is apparent – and soon Claire and her ex-husband (with whom she works at Village Blend) are hip-deep in bad guys and in real danger, and in big trouble. Secondary plots abound – including one involving a no-holds-barred competitor in the food van business.

I love these coffeehouse mysteries, but haven’t yet read them all. Reading a Brew to Kill (#11) makes me want to go back and start at #1. (There are 15.) Readers who love recipes will find lots of them, a big plus. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is the ninth book in the Coffeehouse Mysteries by Cleo Coyle. I missed all the books before it and I am positive that I would have liked this book much better if I have read the first eight books. I don't think that is fares well as a standalone book. I love coffee and thought that might make up for what I missed but there were too many characters to know all at once and I really felt I wanted to know their history more.

I did enjoy the parts that included Chinatown and the Chinese characters were believable to me. I loved the nasty competitor Kaylie Crimini who owns the Kupcake Kart and adds bacon grease to some of her cupcakes for flavor. She tried to be French in the way she pronounced the names of the cupcakes and the prepared the cupcakes with incredible amounts of cholesterol. She was the highlight for me. She was a person who could drive anyone nuts.

I got lost when the drug part was added to the story. I loved that Claire, the main character was branching out into a food trucks, and when the story veered over into Chinatown but it got to be too much for me to keep straight. I really think if I knew the characters history, I would not have been so lost. There were also red herrings galore but I was already lost by then.

My recommendation would to be to start with the first book in this series so that you won’t feel lost like I did. ( )
  Carolee888 | Apr 4, 2016 |
A good book, except for the Mike and Claire issue towards the end. I also didn't appreciate the Matt twist although it added to the book. Good series. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
A little predictable but I like the characters.
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
My first read of a Coffeehouse Mystery....but most definitely not my last! I now want to go back to the beginning and read the entire series.

I'm a huge fan of cozy mysteries,and if this book is any indication, this series will not disappoint. The core group of characters have varied personalities, and yet they all seem to fit together into a "family" group. The writing is well done, the plot is easy to follow and realistic,and the mystery kept me guessing throughout the book. ( )
  TeresaKander | Aug 20, 2014 |

Clare Cosi, the manager of a Greenwich Village coffeehouse, must find the suspect in a hit-and-run killing when her delivery truck is implicated in the crime.

Cleo Coyle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Cleo Coyle chatted with LibraryThing members from Dec 16, 2009 to Dec 30, 2009. Read the chat.

89 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,555,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible