Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz

This book was very different from pretty much anything I have read before! I just don't know how I feel about it. It is a book that makes you think, the story line so unusual and so gripping. I was totally engrossed, just needing to know what was happening. But the book was a complete mind trip!

Sloane and Maggie were opposite ends of the spectrum. Sloane is a good student, living with her family in Connecticut and crushing on the new guy. Maggie doesn't go to school anymore, needing the time for auditions, living a glamourous life in New York City. The two couldn't be more different. But when they go to sleep each night, they dream of each other, despite never having met. And this is where the mind bending comes in. Who is real? Who is a dream?

The story is told through the perspectives of each girl from chapter to chapter. We get to know each of them so well, two complete and distinct girls. But then when things start to fall apart near the end, it becomes almost impossible to separate them. Both of them stand to lose everything and it is impossible to root for one over the other. Both girls are vulnerable and good people and it is heart wrenching. The ending is emotional and perplexing, the kind of conclusion that is completely open to the reader's interpretation.

My Recommendation: This is an intense book, full of love and loss. It is a book that makes you think and I came with an infinite number of theories for why things were as they were. Who is real and who isn't? What is insanity and what is dream? ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 26, 2015 |
At the age of 17, Maggie has opted to test out of school so she can be available for auditions. She resents her mom for not paying attention to her and her little sister Jude. With the pressure of auditions, and falling for Andrew, an older NYU film student she meets in Central Park, Maggie feels like her life is spinning out of control.

Remember to follow my blog to see all my reviews directly in your inbox. Until then, click this link to see the rest of my review: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/lucid-adrienne-stoltz-and-ron...
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Pretty solid, a little slow in the middle but approaching the end got pretty good, page-turning. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
I open my eyes. I'm still smiling.
MIND. BLOWN. That's how I feel right now. And if I'm honest, half the time I felt like I was tripping.

It has been a long while since I've cried confused tears because of a book. Because I don't know if they were happy, or sad, or just a mixture of both.
I cried for Maggie, and I cried for Sloane, and in the end I still didn't know who I was crying for, really.

Halfway through this, my biggest complaint was that nothing is really happening. I mean, things were happening, but nothing to even give you an inclination of what is really going on. And this made me want to turn to the last page and just see what is going on so I can go back to reading the book without being distracted with guessing. Don't do that, people. It will do you no good. Trust me on this one, you need to read everything to understand what happened.

Maggie, a New York actress who is for some reason extremely cynical about love, finally finds it in the most wonderful person. He is perfect in every possible way.
Sloane, a small town high school girl who is obviously grieving a forbidden (in a way) love that she lost, finds it again.

The book is extremely smart. It keeps you guessing until the very end. Every time you think you have it figured out, whatever you're thinking, you're probably wrong. Because what I got from the ending didn't even cross my mind. Maybe it's just me?

I loved Andrew, I loved Jade and Max, I loved Gordy and I loved Bill. I loved Maggie more than Sloane and felt guilty because of it since I've connected with both girls so much. And because I secretly wanted Maggie to be the real one if the book should go that way. James I didn't like, because I had a thing for Gordy. Sorry, James. You're probably a nice guy.

The writing grips you from the beginning, you just know you're in for one hell of a ride. You can distinguish between the girls voices in the beginning, but as the lines start to blur they become more and more similar and I felt just as they both did, confused and disoriented. The girls feel so real with their monologues, their day-to-day routine, their personalities were just amazing. I think they would have been great friends.

I need to discuss the ending but obviously, I can't do that without spoiling anything. I'm not sure I should even put it under a spoiler tag because I know how irresistible those are, and I want everyone to draw their own conclusion from that ending. It definitely makes you want to go back and reread the whole thing now that you know what's going on, because - the clues were there all along.

I can't recommend this book enough. Really, it is one of the best thought out books I've read. Nothing makes sense until it finally does. And I promise you will need tissues, and I promise you will be as confused as I am if they're because you're happy or sad with the ending. I am so happy that this book was my first of 2013. I needed to start this year with a good book. Read it. ( )
  AriBookzilla | Sep 21, 2013 |
HATED THE ENDING ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |

"What if you could dream your way into a different life? What if you could choose to live that life forever? Sloane and Maggie have never met. Sloane is a straight-A student with a big and loving family. Maggie lives a glamorously independent life as an up-and-coming actress in New York. The two girls couldn't be more different--except for one thing. They share a secret that they can't tell a soul. At night, they dream that they're each other. The deeper they're pulled into the promise of their own lives, the more their worlds begin to blur dangerously together. Before long, Sloane and Maggie can no longer tell which life is real and which is just a dream. They realize that eventually they will have to choose one life to wake up to, or risk spiraling into insanity. But that means giving up one world, one love, and one self, forever--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Adrienne Stoltz's book Lucid was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible