The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to…

by Toni Raiten-D'Antonio (Author)

Member:BSOTALibrary
Title:The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real Hidden Wisdom from a Children's Classic
Authors:Toni Raiten-D'Antonio (Author)
Info:HCI (2004), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, 200 pages

The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real Hidden Wisdom from a Children's Classic by Toni Raiten-D'Antonio

Tries to capitalize on its ambigious connection to the classic Velveteen Bunny and fails. Don't waste your time with this one: just read the Real Bunny again. ( )
  Doey | Mar 31, 2011 |
Margery Williams wrote "The Velveteen Rabbit", published in 1922. Eighty-two years later, a guide to becoming real was published, written by a professional psychotherapist, and based on lessons gleaned from the nursery book.

If you have never read the "Velveteen Rabbit", give yourself the gift of reading it first, although the "Velveteen Principles" can be appreciated on its own merits. The first chapter is titled "To be Real in a world of Objects". Toni illustrates with story after story from her practice, that obtaining things as a life goal, is not a path to happiness, but a detour away from the goal of "being real". What she calls 'real' in her book is a process of being in touch with yourself and other people, using empathy, courage, honesty and other core values.

Toni writes concisely and passionately about the overwhelming demands from movies, television and magazines to adopt beauty, wealth, power and fame as the only yardstick of a successful life. She defends the need to instead live with gratitude and generosity, as a surer recipe for genuine contentment.

She calls on us to excavate our authentic emotions from under the cover of the socially acceptable responses demanded by false perfection. She doesn't advocate letting emotions rule our actions, she merely asks us to acknowledge our genuine feelings accurately. To get us started on the path to honesty with ourselves, she provides a list of emotions on page 72. When I saw that list, I knew I would be using it as a reference to fine-tune the characters in my novel. The list is arranged alphabetically from "abandoned" to "withdrawn".

I want the characters I write to be real, so Toni's book is a good place for them to start. There is more in the book on being real than I've covered in this review, and all of it is good food for thought, not only for my characters, but also for myself.

(My review was originally published at Forward Motion.) ( )
  Pandababy | Mar 24, 2008 |

In the tradition of The Tao of Pooh, a noted therapist shows how the wisdom of a children's classic can lead to a life of love, fulfillment and purpose.

Who wouldn't want to go back to when life was simple and a stuffed animal could fix all your problems?

Botox parties. Extreme Makeovers. "Reality" TV. These are just some examples of how we have lost sight of something so basic yet so essential to true happiness: On our way to becoming status-seeking super-humans, we forgot how to be Real.

This charming gift book guides readers down a simple path to reclaiming joy, fulfillment and individuality, using an unconventional source-the children's classic The Velveteen Rabbit. By sharing the timeless insights and poignant quotes from the popular children's book, the author identifies 10 keys to becoming Real, with the promise that when you become Real you will love and be loved with all your strengths, weakness, faults and gifts. As the Skin Horse explains to the Velveteen Rabbit:

"Real isn't how you are made . . . It's a thing that happens to you. . . . Generally by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes droop and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But those things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Destined to be a classic in its own right, The Velveteen Principles delivers a simple yet profound message for the ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible