Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

Shine Shine Shine (edition 2012)

by Lydia Netzer

Title:Shine Shine Shine
Authors:Lydia Netzer
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:2012, drama, family, fiction, november 2012, fall 2012, female writers

Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer

Tried to read. I skimmed through bits to get to the end. Did not quite get it. may try again later
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Listened to audible version. Joshilyn Jackson is an amazing narrator. (And also a great author herself!) ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |
ok, but it felt under developed and the ending was flat. ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 5, 2016 |
This book was a bit quirky for me. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book but I ended up liking it in the end. This book is hard to describe but has many underlying messages about life. To say the least it was unique! ( )
  teeth | Apr 27, 2016 |
Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer follows the love story of Sunny and Maxon, but it is so much more than just a love story. Sunny was born completely hairless during an eclipse while her family was in Burma. Her missionary father was executed by the Communists and her mother moved back to the States. Sunny and Maxon met as children and knew one thing: that they belonged together. Now married, Maxon is a very successful Nobel-winning autistic NASA scientist who is on a mission to colonize the moon with self-replicating robots. Sunny is his very pregnant wife, left behind on earth with their autistic 4 year-old son, Bubber. In their current suburban life, Maxon's success has afforded them a model house. Sunny wears a variety of blond wigs to hide her baldness and keeps an expensively furnished, immaculate house. It soon becomes clear that Sunny has tried very hard to reinvent herself as the perfect suburban mother, which has put a great deal of self-induced stress on them.

But after Maxon leaves for the moon, Sunny has a car accident that sends her wig flying off in her neighborhood. This exposure of her secret causes Sonny to re-examine her life and the choices she has made in order to fit in and seem "normal." Then a meteorite hits the space ship Maxon is on, placing the mission and his life in jeopardy. To complicate matters further, Sonny is now feeling contractions, her mother is dying in the hospital, and she's re-examining Bubber's need for medication. Sunny's on-going crisis situation causes her to question if she needs to embrace the idiosyncrasies of her and her family. She soon begins to wonder what makes us human and if such a thing as normal exits.

In Shine Shine Shine, Lydia Netzer has penned a clever, imaginative novel full of great descriptive language and unique, quirky characters. The language flowed beautifully, as read by Joshilyn Jackson on my audio version. It has a strong message about accepting the peculiarities and faults of others rather than everyone striving for a Stepford-like conformity. Netzer alternates between the points of view of Maxon and Sunny. She also gives us backstory along with current events to help us better understand these characters and their motives. Sunny is not a perfect character, but that was the point. She tried to put on the facade and be perfect for others. Once her cover was blown, Sunny realizes that she has to accept who she is and who Maxon is and who Bubber is - and that each of them is special and unique.

Very Highly Recommended - one of the best

This was my first audio book. I have to admit that I missed seeing the words in a physical copy of the book. I loved listening to Jackson read the story, however, and I'd like to get an audio CD of one of her books just to hear her read it.
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |

When fabricated aspects of their picture-perfect world are embarrassingly exposed by a car accident, Sunny Mann, a woman longing for an ideal life, and Maxon, her savant astronaut husband, struggle through blame and fear before confronting realities about their deep bond.… (more)

Lydia Netzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,782,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible