Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

Shine Shine Shine (edition 2012)

by Lydia Netzer

Member:Florinda
Title:Shine Shine Shine
Authors:Lydia Netzer
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:read, fiction, audio, 2012review, 3.75/5

Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

Quirky, and sometimes a little off-putting, this novel deals with the desire and need to fit into some preconceived image versus being one's authentic self. Although the novel doesn't really fit the magical realism genre, there is nevertheless some feel of the magical in this story and the ending is lovely. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 2, 2015 |
On first glance, Shine Shine Shine seems like your run-of-the-mill chick-lit, dorky love story set in suburbia. It pays to take a second glance, because sometimes when you do, you find novels like this. Novels that with wit and story-telling prowess can broach the big subjects of what it means to be different, to be in love, to grieve. Sunny and Maxon met as children - two wildly different peas lumped together in the same pod. The novel is set later, when they are married and have a life together and a child. Behind the perfect exterior of their suburban house is a family struggling. A child with autism, a pregnant mother facing loss, desperate to find her place in the world as her husband launches into space on a voyage to the moon. Highly recommended. ( )
  Lauraf91 | May 20, 2015 |
If you are left-brained, this book may be better for you. Truly, up until the last couple of chapters, I would have had a hard time deciding whether or not to give this book 1 or 2 stars. Being a more right-brained person myself, I found it difficult to follow along at times. In several conversations between the main characters (breaking free of her insecurities)Sunny and (rocket scientist) Maxon, there are equations to explain thoughts. However, have no fear if you do not particularly care for equations, the thought processes are so drawn out that the reader can still understand the sentiment in them. For example, one of the easier equations were used to explain their dilemma on how to move from a linear Husband--Wife, to a Mother--Father--Child triangle.

With Maxon being somewhere on the Autism Spectrum, every thought is explained, as well as to what is the socially appropriate response. There is a vast amount of detail in the training that Sunny and her mother, Emma, used with Maxon to help him be more socially acceptable. There is a lot of detail in Sunny's battle between who she is and who she wants to appear to be, in order to be socially acceptable, due to her genetic inability to grow hair. There is quite a hypocrisy with Sunny's mother (who took Maxon in under her wing at a young age) in expectations. For example, she was irate with adult Sunny for wearing a wig because she had raised her to appreciate her bald condition. Yet, she was very resistant to the romantic relationship that developed with Maxon and Sunny, because he was "different".

The huge amount of details bulk up the first half of the book, which made it hard for me to want to continue to read. Maybe I'm impatient, but I wanted to be able to skim over the, for lack of a better word, rambling. There was a lot of flashbacks (which were appreciated in that they built the foundation for the story to come at the end) but the flashbacks did not need to be so lengthy.
The reader doesn't really find out what the story is about until 154 pages in:"This is the story of an astronaut who was lost in space, and the wife he left behind...This is the story of a bulge, a bud, the way the human race tried to subdivide, the bud it formed out into the universe, and what happened to that bud, and what happened to the Earth, too, the Mother Earth, after the bud was burst" (154-155).

"Don't balloons get kind of scared, floating up through the sky above the grocery-store parking lot? After all, where are they supposed to go now?" (290). I love these 2 questions, but the timing was a bit off. These questions were inserted during a flashback where Sunny is giving birth to her first child. Yet another example of bulky filler rambling. On the other hand, the rambling may have been considered necessary for the author, as the reader faces the many conflicts that Sunny has to sort through throughout the book, all at once.

Although this book was hard to get through at first, the last few chapters really bring it all together and make it worth it. In my opinion, there is not a roller coaster of emotions in this book, but that is not to say that you won't feel anything while reading it. If you read this book the way that I did, it may be confusing at times, it may be overwhelming at times, but I can promise that in the end, it will get better. ( )
  JanJanFreeman | May 5, 2015 |
This book had very unique characters and a story-line that skipped around and wasn't a straight timeline. I enjoyed listening to this book, but if I had been reading it, I am not sure if I would have finished it or not, because skipping timelines really upset me when I am reading. There were some great examples of "wearing masks" when out in public. I do like how Sonny decided that she was a MOM and she would do the best that she could. I will seek out this author again in the future. ( )
  BrendaKlaassen | Feb 8, 2015 |
apocalyptic ( )
  vwinsloe | Jan 25, 2015 |

When fabricated aspects of their picture-perfect world are embarrassingly exposed by a car accident, Sunny Mann, a woman longing for an ideal life, and Maxon, her savant astronaut husband, struggle through blame and fear before confronting realities about their deep bond.… (more)

Lydia Netzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible