Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

Shine Shine Shine (edition 2012)

by Lydia Netzer

Member:Florinda
Title:Shine Shine Shine
Authors:Lydia Netzer
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:read, fiction, audio, 2012review, 3.75/5

Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

I did not finish this book so I will not give it a rating. This is a very quirky story that just never clicked for me. It wasn't a bad read nor was it not well written. It was simply not to my liking.
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
At the heart of the book is a truly unique love story that in my opinion is riveting and done very well. Around that there are a myriad of other things going on that provide the love story with an interesting frame. ( )
  d04rules | Apr 24, 2014 |
ÛÏOften, it‰Ûªs not about becoming a new person, but becoming the person you were meant to be, and already are, but don‰Ûªt know how to be.‰Û
‰Û¥ Heath L. Buckmaster, Box of Hair: A Fairy Tale

The blueprint to this book is like no other. Once you get past how very different this book is, the many themes floating about are quite lovely. Eccentric. Unconventional. Fluky. A novel that is anything but ordinary, it is very very unusual - YOU have to read it to understand. Meet four memorable characters you can't help surrendering to Sunny, Maxon, Bubber and Emma - each dealing with affliction, putting their best foot forward daily filling their gaps with playfulness.

As you read this book it is best to just approach it with an open mind. Don't let its distinctiveness take away from the entire narrative, especially the characters. The story is a bit far fetched but that factor lends to its endearing core. 'Different' is always difficult to overcome but once you accept and master the approach 'different' becomes invisible, and boy is this book original from beginning to end. The plot, the characters all flawed but beautiful.

Sunny is sweet and lovable, given all she deals with she is amazing. I was quick to judge her but I realized she had to do what was right for her, keeping her sanity among the chaos. Although I wasn't pleased with her choices, her honesty was appreciated.

Childhood sweethearts, I really liked reading of Sunny and Maxon's love story. I was so happy life brought these two kind souls together. It was sweet watching them grown and their love blossom.

No doubt each reader will pull something meaningful from the story, guaranteed it will contain a theme suiting your needs. So many messages intersect in this story every one will find something to cling to.

For me I closed the book with the sense this was a love story, a story of family, a story of death most importantly a quirky story with the message of embrace your singularity and run with it, make the best of what you have NOT what you don't have. Stop pretending and be real. Whatever message you take away from this artsy piece of work no doubt it will be poignant.

"This is the story of an astronaut who was lost in space, and the wife he left behind. Or this is the story of a brave man who survived the wreck of the first rocket sent into space with the intent to colonize the moon... This is the story of a bulge, a bud, the way the human race tried to subdivide, the bud it formed outside the universe, and what happened to that bud, and what happened to the Earth, too, the mother Earth, after the bud was burst."

Netzer created such an individual quirky story it is only natural my curiosity is piqued to visit future endeavors from this offbeat author. I wasn't crazy about her style but the many themes made this a worthwhile read. I can say I didn't love this book but I didn't dislike it either, as I said the themes served as savior.

Difficult to write a review so I encourage you to give this a shot. Be open minded and let the story take you away. I guarantee the end result will be worth the work.

A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |
‰Û¥ Heath L. Buckmaster, Box of Hair: A Fairy Tale

A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |
See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

This was an intriguing, but very strange, book. None of the characters are particularly easy to like, and maybe hard to identify with, but you still empathize with them, especially as the book delves into their backstories. It's set against the backdrop of locales as exotic as Burma and as every-day as a small coal town in Pennsylvania. As the book jumps between the present-day and the past, going all the way back to Sunny's birth, you get a real feel for what has shaped them into the people that they became. It's an interesting study of difficult people having difficult relationships and loving each other anyway.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the book at first. The author has an almost stream-of-consciousness style to her writing, and the story jumps around frequently in time, but once I got used to it, it was easier to follow. It works on some levels as social commentary about what people do to fit in and be accepted, and what happens when people stop playing by the rules. I don't think it's a book for everyone, but if you're interested in a story about love, death, and the moon, I'd say to give it a shot. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |

When fabricated aspects of their picture-perfect world are embarrassingly exposed by a car accident, Sunny Mann, a woman longing for an ideal life, and Maxon, her savant astronaut husband, struggle through blame and fear before confronting realities about their deep bond.… (more)

Lydia Netzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible