A Catered St. Patrick's Day (Mysteries With…

A Catered St. Patrick's Day (Mysteries With Recipes) (2012)

by Isis Crawford

I generally dislike mystery novels that are lumped into a category called the "cozy", which is the category that this book falls into. When I found a new, unread copy of this book at my local library, I had to give it a go. Because of the number of books Ms. Crawford has written, I thought perhaps I should re-evaluate the genre.

I was familiar with these types of mysteries from my childhood. And as far as I'm concerned, that's the audience for this book. Great for kids, but adults should be able to read at a higher level. Thoughtful readers, looking for more than just badly written fluff, do not waste your time. Give this series a pass.
1 vote Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
A Catered St. Patrick's Day by Isis Crawford
Realize the author has put out other books along the same lines, just different holidays and after reading 1/2 of
the first page I know I will be hunting down the rest of the books to read.
Being as I do bake just listening, reading about how they are handling the dough makes me think I can learn something
from them by reading this book. The luck is with them, besides the 4 leaf clovers they have the kitchen witch there.
I remember making them to sell at craft shows.
Libby and Bernie run the bakery shop and live upstairs with their Dad.
Brandon is the bar tender that covers for the morning guy cuz he's in the hospital. Til he finds Mike out back.
Mike is dead and now Duncan is arrested. His aunt comes to his rescue and wants the family to find out who really did murder
Mike so Duncans' name can be cleared. The family (Libby, Bernie and their dad Sean) has done investigations before because they just know everybody in town and
how they are related to one another.
The girls start by visiting with Duncan and he tells them his story, several different ones. They then go visit with Brandon at the
bar as he's on duty to maybe run a few things past him.
Their father also is following up a lead with the guy who drives the hearse. They all get leads to other sources and trace them out as well.
What each of them has to go through to get the answers is sometimes too funny.
The best part of this book for me was their daily routine of making and baking the bread, priceless!
Good mystery story also. Can't wait to get the authors other holidays books. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
This story didn't have a catered event and barely touched on St. Patrick's Day. Like another reviewer, I wondered how the shop and the catering business survives, with the sisters time so consumed in investigating this murder. This was the first of the "Catered" series that I' have read and I couldn't read it fast enough because I couldn't wait for it to be over. Plot was not engrossing, nor were the characters. Not sure that I will pursue any others in this series. ( )
1 vote belleek | Jul 12, 2012 |
i found this book well writen.
She keep Your intress weather in the shop Her home or solving a murder.
I did not want to stop reading untill I found out who the murder was and that was in the last chapter and a real surprise. ( )
  PCollett | Apr 12, 2012 |
St. Paddy’s Day is a time for celebration and good fun. What could possibly put a damper on that? Well, finding a dead body, drowned in a barrel of green beer meant for tomorrow’s festivities could slow it down a bit. And when the suspect in that murder is the nephew of one of your best customers, you really have no choice but to track down the actual killer. Sisters Bernie and Libby along with their retired cop father Sean are chasing down leads. Boyfriend bartender Brandon helps with information about who would want the victim dead – nearly everyone who had ever dealt with him – and boyfriend Marvin serves as Dad’s official chauffeur, until Dad tricks him and takes the car on his own. Overcoming problems like a missing witness and a house blowing up are mere child’s play for this daring threesome, but real danger is just waiting for them to show up. An exciting cozy that will entice you with its likable characters and clever storyline. The food references add a charming element of entertainment even as they awaken your appetite. So grab a snack and settle in for a good time. ( )
  Maydacat | Mar 26, 2012 |
For my Bruegger's buddies. You make the day start better.

St. Patrick's Day is usually a time of revelry in Longely, but this year things will be different. The festivities certainly don't get off to a smooth start when Bernie's boyfriend finds Mike Sweeney floating face down in a vat of green beer. So much for the luck of the Irish...When their best customer's nephew, Duncan, is tagged for the crime, Bernie and Libby are asked to investigate. It won't be easy, though, because Duncan looks like a good fit for the crime. Bernie and Libby laser in on Duncan's friends, all members of The Corned Beef and Cabbage Club. But the deeper Bernie, Libby, and Sean delve into Mike Sweeney's death, the more they discover that things are most definitely not what they seem...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:14 -0400)

When Mike Sweeney is found floating in a vat of green beer and the nephew of one of their best customers is accused of the crime, Bernie and Libby Simmons, the owners of A Little Taste of Heaven, must find the real killer.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Isis Crawford's book A Catered St. Patrick's Day was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible