Only the Innocent by Rachel Abbott

Only the Innocent

by Rachel Abbott

English (11)  Catalan (1)  All (12)
The book was way too long and the ending obvious. Did not like some of content. ( )
  veubanks | Aug 9, 2017 |
This reads like it must be in the middle of a series, because there are events referred to that have happened prior to the action of this novel, but it is actually a debut title. I've found that a strategy other authors have used in fairly recent publications.

DI Tom Douglas is an unusual detective as he doesn't keep his distance. When he begins to investigate the murder of Sir Hugo Fletcher he quickly gets on to first name terms with Lady Laura Fletcher. He knows instinctively that she is the clue to understanding Hugo's death.

ONLY THE INNOCENT has a complex plot with quite an array of characters. It is not a novel for the faint-hearted reader either. The structure is interesting. There are letters that Laura has written to her best friend Imogen which have never been posted which explain what has happened to Laura since her marriage to the high-profile Hugo. There are also occasional passages which describe the plight of a girl who has been imprisoned and is waiting for a release that may never come. These strategies heighten the tension and suspense in the novel.

Excellent reading, and in particular an excellent start for 2015. ( )
  smik | Dec 31, 2014 |
Sept 2014 - a gripping story ( )
  win2014 | Sep 24, 2014 |
This is a well-set, well-written and exciting thriller, with a deeply disturbing theme. I'm looking forward to seeing the police officers in future books - I know one already from The Back Road. The characters were complex but convincing. I hope there is a third book available! ( )
  lexieconyngham | Jan 29, 2014 |
So this is how I chose to close out my reading year of 2013. I had high hopes that this would be a spectacular read. The opening pulled me in & I was all in on this murder mystery. I really liked the DI & all of the officers working with him & the story moved along well. I was even intrigued with the tiniest bit given of a girl alone in a dark house just waiting. It felt foreboding & of course the murder must be tied to it somehow. The momentum kept up for a bit as we meet the wife & her long banished from her life, BFF. And then the detour happened in the form of letters given by Laura to Imogen in order to explain her relationship with her, now murdered, husband, Hugo. It was like hitting a brick wall & then having one’s face scraped across in slow motion. Also, it felt like it came out of nowhere. Instead of following a murder mystery being unravelled by the police, we were taking a detour to show the steps that eventually led here. The shift was jarring & far longer than I expected & sadly, didn’t hold my interest as much. A lot happened but I kept thinking, “So when are we getting back to the actual investigation?” And when we did it really plodded along. I haven’t yet worked out why the letters were given to Imogen to read instead of Laura just telling her everything. They were together in the same place afterall. It felt much like an info-dump & I found it difficult to invest too deeply in most of it though it was not wholly uninteresting.

An exchange between Laura & Tom six months on in the investigation captured my sentiments exactly:
Laura: I can understand that , Tom. I expect you want something with a little more action. This case must be getting a bit dull for you.”
Tom: Oh, it’s certainly dull. It’s been dull for the past six months, actually.

In resolution, there’s a happenstance discovery of a confession & I wasn’t much annoyed, I was just glad that it was nearly over. Three stars because I was definitely in to the end but I didn’t love the trip. Still, I would read another by the author. Her writing was good but here the format nor the characters much engaged me.
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |

"Every moment of Sir Hugo Fletcher's life has been chronicled in the British press: his privileged upbringing, his high-profile charity work to end human trafficking -- even his two marriages. But when the billionaire philanthropist is discovered murdered in his London home, tied naked to a bed, the scandal is only a shadow of the darkness lurking off-camera. Laura Fletcher returns from an Italian vacation to find her husband dead and her home under siege by paparazzi. Is she shocked? Yes. But is she distraught? Not exactly. Especially when Chief Inspector Tom Douglas reveals his suspicions that Hugo's killer is female. Laura always knew she wasn't the only woman in Hugo's life. And she knows she wasn't the only one with a motive to kill. The deeper Douglas digs, the more sordid details about Hugo Fletcher he uncovers. And yet nothing compares to the secret Laura guards, a secret that could bring the guilty to justice -- or destroy an innocent life forever."--Publisher description.… (more)

Rachel Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,624,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible