Glaciers (A Tin House New Voice) by Alexis…

Glaciers (A Tin House New Voice) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alexis Smith

Member:RidgewayGirl
Title:Glaciers (A Tin House New Voice)
Authors:Alexis Smith
Info:Tin House Books (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 112 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, American Author, USA, Alaska, Oregon, 2013CC

Glaciers (A Tin House New Voice) by Alexis Smith (2012)

Last year I discovered, rather by accident, Jac Jemc's beautiful debut novel My Only Wife, and I fell utterly in love. I recommended it to everyone I met, and still do -- it was easily my favorite book of last year.

Alexis Smith's Glaciers is that book this year. Quiet, unassuming, yet profoundly intimate and deeply moving, the whole short novel feels like a poem written in a notebook I found on a bench somewhere, an unintended invitation into someone else's life. Of course, this is a poor analogy, because the book itself offers the better one: postcards of journeys never taken but often dreamed of, these little glimpses into the lives of strangers we feel we know from a dream somewhere.

It's a glimmering jewel of a novel, and a heart-strumming first book by an author I will eagerly beg more of. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
This was a quick read but most of the stories left me wanting more from the author. But I like fiction with just the right amount of detail. Leave the blanks for me to fill.
That being said a few of the stories in this book will come back to me. Her reflections of her childhood and her relationships with her parents and sister are reveling to the character that she turns into. And while I do not prefer to read fiction that has such a void I found that a few of her stories developed the characters beautifully around the void of descriptive words that often clutter a perfectly good story. ( )
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
Love the quiet, studied way that threads of the main character's story are woven in and out of past and present. Really real, and bittersweet knowledge of Life. ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |
The publisher compared this to Woolf, Duras, and Rhys? I'm sure even their adolescent scribblings were more learned and erudite than Glaciers. This is not to say the book isn't well written: it definitely is, but it feels too uncertain of itself many times, and at many others it felt like reading an MFA student's final project. This is chick lit targeted to the young, fashionable, hipster librarian. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
For Wren
Isabel often thinks of Amsterdam, though she has never been there, and probably never will go.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193563920X, Paperback)

Isabel is a single, twentysomething thrift-store shopper and collector of remnants, things cast off or left behind by others. Glaciers follows Isabel through a day in her life in which work with damaged books in the basement of a library, unrequited love for the former soldier who fixes her computer, and dreams of the perfect vintage dress move over a backdrop of deteriorating urban architecture and the imminent loss of the glaciers she knew as a young girl in Alaska.

Glaciers unfolds internally, the action shaped by Isabel’s sense of history, memory, and place, recalling the work of writers such as Jean Rhys, Marguerite Duras, and Virginia Woolf. For Isabel, the fleeting moments of one day can reveal an entire life. While she contemplates loss and the intricate fissures it creates in our lives, she accumulates the stories—the remnants—of those around her and she begins to tell her own story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:58 -0400)

"Isabel is a single, twentysomething thrift-store shopper and collector of remnants, things cast off or left behind by others. 'Glaciers' follows Isabel through a day in her life in which work with damaged books in the basement of a library, unrequited love for the former soldier who fixes her computer, and dreams of the perfect vintage dress move over a backdrop of deteriorating urban architecture and the imminent loss of the glaciers she knew as a young girl in Alaska."--from cover, p. [2]… (more)

46 wanted5 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,422,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible