Islamism by Anders Strindberg
611,268,033 (4)None

The old saying goes, "You can't judge a book by its cover". That is certainly true in this case: my heart sank as I ripped open the package containing this book to find the face of Bin Laden and another strident cleric staring at me in the most threatening of manners. I do not need another source telling me that Islam is evil. I want to understand the religion of a quarter of the World's population. I very nearly broke the habits of a life time and dropped it straight into 'the round receptacle'.

Fortunately, I didn't. This is a well researched book that does provide a useful addition to my meagre knowledge of the Islamic faith. It is not fawning, it does not pretend that everything within the Muslim World is perfect but then, as a believer in what , to my knowledge, is the only religion to have conspired in the assassination of its own leader, I am not in a position to throw stones.

This tome, not only answered many of the questions that I have about Islam, but also asked and responded to questions that I was not sharp enough to pose. I suspect that there is enough depth in this work to challenge someone with a good understanding of the faith, it is certainly ideal for anyone, such as myself, who starts from a point of grave ignorance and wants an adult book upon the subject. One word of advice to the publishers; sack whoever thought that that cover! ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Feb 6, 2012 |

Islamism has emerged as one of the most significant political ideologies of the 21st century. From the Islamic Revolution in Iran to the grinding struggle of Hizballah in Lebanon and the devastating 9/11 attacks by al-Qa'ida, Islam has become both a critical discourse and a framework for active resistance, which levels a potent challenge against the ideals of modern secularism and the structures of Western hegemony.

This book offers a rigorous and balanced analysis of how and why Islamism has risen to the fore as the dominant voice of Islamic discourse and what accounts for the often vastly different political agendas, tactical choices and strategic objectives of individual Islamist groups. It shows how a common Islamist language of resistance and defiance acquires distinctive meanings and implications in different local contexts, as well as how these local struggles connect to each other. Drawing on important insights from social psychology, critical studies, and post-colonial studies, the book pinpoints the underlying dynamic that drives Islamist struggles in the world today, and shows how diverse experiences of repression and humiliation - real or perceived - are translated into an equally diverse collection of struggles aimed at promoting an alternative social order of independence and dignity framed by Islam.

Islamism will be essential reading for students and scholars of Islamic Studies, as well as general readers with an interest in the role and status of Islam in contemporary international politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,854,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible