Life's Little Emergencies: A Handbook…

Life's Little Emergencies: A Handbook for Active Independent Seniors…

by Rod Brouhard

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It may be a little weird to say, but paramedics, in my experience, have been great folks. Rod Brouhard, the author of Life's Little Emergencies, seems to be no exception. There are some tales from his experience in the field that make this more than an average first aid reference book, warm and funny and ultimately rather comforting, which do not take away from its utility as a first aid reference book. It's all here, from bumps and bruises to major catastrophes, the topics organized to be located easily when they're needed and clearly and effectively illustrated.

The subtitle of the book is "A Handbook for Active Independent Seniors and Caregivers", which – the latter part being applicable to me – was what prompted me to put my name in for the book on LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. However, while the senior-oriented sections of the book are expanded, this is a good book to have handy for anyone's little emergencies. ( )
  Stewartry | Aug 29, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This well written book will help you be prepared for Life’s Little Emergencies -- and some big ones too. With touches of reassuring humor, Rod Brouhard prepares you to be prepared for injuries and illnesses, environmental disasters, worst case scenarios and drug effects.

As an active independent senior, I found the author’s advice fit with my own recent emergency experience when my spouse fell down the cellar steps.

Read it now! Prepare now. Before that unexpected emergency arises. ( )
  Oporinus | Jun 15, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent resource not just for seniors but anyone. The book includes examples and tips; problem prevention as well as decision-making information on when to call 9-1-1 and what to expect once you do. Written by an EMT, the book explains what works (preparing a written medical history and telling someone in the family where it is) and what doesn't. Until I read this, I thought that the gadget I found in a catalog that saves your medical history on a USB drive was a good idea. (It isn't) and he explains why. I appreciated his honesty on what really happens when an ambulance has to be called. The most common emergency situations that a senior citizen can find themselves in are explained and preparations to prevent them or work through them are explained in a concise, friendly manner. Brouhard has included references to helpful websites with each chapter. A good reminder for anyone that has taken a first aid or first responder course; and a good resource for those that have not. Read through it once; then put it in an accessible place in the house for reference when needed.
  dyers91 | May 26, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My kind of emergency handbook: short and to the point. It is going on the shelf next to my pediatric emergency book: that one will still be for the kids and this one will be for me and the things I can anticipate as I grow older. It includes weblinks but since those can change, I'll rely more on what is in the book. ( )
  TallyDi | May 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a valuable book, but it's definitely for use BEFORE an emergency. This would be true of any first aid guide, however; it's good to know what's in there, and have some basic ideas about good things to do before you need them.

My only quibble, really, is the photographs. The reproduction is pretty bad, and, because of the dingy look, have a "feel" as if they were shot in, say, the 60s.

That said, I appreciate having this guide, and I'm going to be providing it to my Mom's caregivers. Everyone is actually pretty likely to go ahead and call an ambulance, but Mom gets really upset and tends to underreport if she thinks it will involve doctors. Perhaps knowing that we're a little better equipped with information will encourage her to keep us up on what's going on -- like the time she broke her collarbone, but didn't tell us until she was unable to use her arm. And was careful to not let anyone see the injury! ( )
  GoThouGeekly | May 7, 2012 |

"Handbook for seniors and caregivers covering first aid and emergency response protocol for various injuries, illnesses, and environmental conditions such as fires, floods, or earthquakes"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rod Brouhard's book Life's Little Emergencies was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,137,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible