Eating to Lose: Healing from a Life of…

Eating to Lose: Healing from a Life of Diabulimia

by Maryjeanne Hunt

159647,891 (3)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was not very thrilled with this book. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting when i requested this book but I was definitely disappointed. The book was very dry and hard to get through ( )
  DJLunchlady91404 | Nov 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was really not what I was expecting. I was really disappointed with this one. I'm not sure what exactly I was hoping for, but this wasn't it. I think if it would have been co written it may have helped the book out more.
  _Lily_ | Sep 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book really suffers for lack of a good editor. The author abuses ellipses, parentheses, and brackets. The chronology is all out of sorts, which while acceptable for a novel, isn't so great for a memoir. I know the author isn't a trained writer so much and thus is writing in a colloquial style, but it does take away from the book.

The boxed sections of how to deal with your own disordered behaviors and thoughts often boil down to religious platitudes, e.g., "give it over to God". I understand that many, many eating disorder clinics around the nation found the treatment programs on religion, but many ED sufferers find it not just unhelpful, but off-putting.

Overall, I feel this book could have been so great, if the publisher had employed the services of a ghostwriter or co-author, or even just edited with a heavier hand. ( )
  AshtonAnne | Aug 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the kind of book that would likely be very interesting to someone who's gone through the experience or knows someone who has. However, I won a copy through the EarlyReviewer copy, and I have to say that it didn't have the broad appeal I hoped it would have. ( )
  agnesmack | Aug 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a non-fiction about surviving with an eating disorder called Diabulimia. Diabulimia involves the action of binging when you are diabetic, and then not taking insulin in order to counteract the effect of binging, which causes ketosis to happen. This is very dangerous for diabetics, as it puts their body into a stress situation over and over. However, the ketosis causes you to lose weight pretty rapidly and easily, if you can call it that.

This book was a very interesting read! I thought it would be a little bit dry, but the author really did a good job of going over what the disease Diabulimia is, as well as making you feel connected to her and her plight. I felt a connection with the author and I learned a lot as well. ( )
  kyriaw | Jul 12, 2012 |
Dedicated to Travis and Taylor, whose existence has made healing the only choice.
Research shows that approximately 30 percent of women with Type I Diabetes restrict insulin during their lifetimes.

"Diabetes is one of the most urgent health issues of our time. It costs the United States billions of dollars a year in healthcare expenses. Diabulimia "is the dangerous and often fatal practice where an individual with Type 1 Diabetes alters or omits insulin for the purpose of weight loss." This book discusses how the author lost weight by eating more, as long as she remained "diligent" about off-setting a binge with an omission of insulin. This book, however, should be for educational purposes only and should not replace the independent judgment of a physician"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maryjeanne Hunt's book Eating to Lose: Healing From A Life of Diabulimia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,981,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible