When The Cookie Crumbles by Virginia Lowell

When The Cookie Crumbles

by Virginia Lowell

The first half of this book went really slowly for me, and I had a really hard time getting into it. In part because Ms. Lowell made the mayor such a nasty, ungrateful, rude piece of work. This seems to be a very popular trend in cozies lately: add a character that is completely, thoroughly hateful, allow them to treat everyone including the protagonist like shit, then have the protagonist roll over and take it like a co-dependent abuse victim. What is this about? Has some publisher told authors that this sells more cozies? Cuz I gotta say, it only pisses me off and makes me want to toss the book across the room - if that's what I'm looking for in my reading material, I'll switch to political commentary, thanks.

Luckily, the second half of the book gets much more interesting, in part because the stupid mayor appears far less often. I love the interplay between Olivia and Maggie - their verbal sparring is first rate and highly entertaining. The mystery surrounding Chatterly House is interesting, with a hint of missing 'treasure'. I didn't see who did it until I was supposed to, so I found the plot well written and clever. I loved the tiny twist at the end of the story too. :)

I'll read the next in the series, and hope the author has run out of nasty characters... ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 20, 2014 |

"Olivia Greyson is the proud owner of The Gingerbread House--a quaint shop that specializes in all things cookie--and her best friend, Maddie, is her sidekick, baking up scrumptious treats for their parties. But the real-life version of their magnificent gingerbread house is about to crumble to pieces. Tensions are running high as Chatterley Heights' 250th birthday celebration approaches, and Olivia and Maddie are working feverishly to finish a gingerbread house modeled after the famous Chatterley Mansion. When Paine Chatterley, presumed to be dead, shows up to claim his father's house, the town gossips are driven into a tizzy. And when he refuses to allow visitors to tour the mansion during the celebration, all the preparations seem for naught. Then Paine is found lifeless in the bathtub, his wife hysterical and their precious heirlooms destroyed. The hidden lives of the prestigious Chatterley family members begin to surface, and Olivia must unravel their dark past. As it turns out, the town's history isn't all that sweet." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible