A Sinister Sense by Allison Kingsley

English (6)  Piratical (1)  All (7)
I have not read the first book in this series and don't think I will. When I went through the bags of mysteries my mom got for free at a book exchange, I mostly picked out ones that were culinary and/or book related to take to read. I didn't think to also check if any were paranormals.

I do have to say that for a paranormal, the use of paranormal powers was very understated in this book, but it was almost to the point that I wondered why the author bothered with it at all. It seemed like there were ways the main character could have found the information without relying on a sixth sense--one she doesn't even want to boot.

I also give the author credit for using a dog rather than the stereotypical cat, but the dog didn't stand out as a character for me. The writing and the plot are decent. I figured out who the murderer was before it was revealed by the author. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 16, 2017 |
A Sinister Sense is the second book in the A Raven's Nest Bookstore Mystery series.

Clara Quinn is enjoying watching a large dog chase Roberta, who owns the store next door to Raven's Nest. Raven's Nest is the bookstore that her cousin owns and where she works. The dog, Tatters, is owned by Rick Sanders owner of the hardware store across the street. Rick is someone that Clara would like to know better, so she offers to help Rick train Tatters. Soon a body is found in the back of Rick's pick-up, beaten with a hammer this found to have come from his hardware store. When Rick is arrested for suspicion of murder, Clara collect Tatters and take him home until Rick can get released from jail. Clara feels a bit guilty leaving an almost unmanageable dog for her mother to watch, but she needs to be out collecting clues so that Rick can get out of jail.

The murdered person had recently contacted an ex-con in Finn's Harbor. Clara and her visit a seedy bar that the victim and been in the night he was murdered where there had been an altercation, could this be related. Clara also find out that the victim's sister committed suicide a few years back, could this have something to do with the victims being murdered? Once when Clara was walking Tatters the mayor stop and tells Clara that she should stop nosing around. To top it all off her "Quinn's Sense" isn't providing her with a lot of help.

A fun read with a good mixture of seriousness and humor.

Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  FredYoder | May 21, 2015 |
Synopsis:Clara Quinn is still afraid of forming any relationships beyond friendship with males. However, this doesn't keep her, and her Quinn Sense, from helping Rick when he is accursed of murdering a stranger. She also takes in his dog, Tatters, and gives him a home.
Review: This is a nice 'cozy mystery' set in a small town and associated with a book store. The plot is a bit thin and rather obvious about 2/3 the way through the book. ( )
  DrLed | Dec 14, 2014 |

A fun read with a good mixture of seriousness and humor.

Looking forward to the next book.

yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |
Cousins Clara and Stephanie Quinn from the Raven’s Nest Bookstore are back with another murder to solve in Allison Kingsley’s latest cozy mystery, A SINISTER SENSE. Things aren’t looking so good for Rick Sanders, the owner of Finn’s Harbor’s only hardware store. A dead body is discovered in the back of his truck, and the murder weapon was taken straight from his own store’s inventory. Even though most of the town thinks he’s guilty, Clara just knows he’s innocent. Rick is Clara’s good friend (and even a potential love interest?), so she’s not going to sit by an let him take the fall for someone else. Armed with her special “Quinn Sense” and her cousin Stephanie’s help, Clara sets out to find the real murderer.

A SINISTER SENSE was a quick and easy read, and overall I liked it – not loved, but liked. The mystery was fairly simple, without a lot of twists and turns or red herrings in the plot. Clara was such a loyal friend to Rick, and when others turned their back on him, she stuck to her guns to find the real murderer, even after receiving threats if she didn’t stop snooping. I enjoyed the dynamic between Clara and Stephanie as cousins, best friends and a fun amateur sleuthing team. My main complaint with this book is the same one I had with the first book in the series ([b:Mind Over Murder|10780401|Mind Over Murder (A Raven's Nest Mystery #1)|Allison Kingsley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1311703344s/10780401.jpg|15692316]) – the way the murderer was caught was just kind of silly. Not very believable in my opinion, and that took away some of my enjoyment.

I’m crazy about bookstore settings, and the Raven’s Nest sounds like an intriguing shop with its Edgar Allen Poe theme. The bookstore specializes in the occult genre, which is fitting given that certain family members, like Clara, have the “Quinn Sense.” It’s similar to having a sixth sense; Clara hears voices in her mind, giving her vague hints about certain things, or she will just develop a strong “feeling” about something without explanation. Clara is not very good at using her special ability, mainly because she’s not happy about having it in the first place, and for years she’s tried to pretend it wasn’t there. I absolutely LOVE cozies with paranormal elements, so I wish this book had delved deeper into the Quinn Sense.

Since I’m curious to see where Clara’s relationship goes with Rick, and I want to know more about Clara’s woo-woo powers, I will be continuing with A Raven’s Nest Bookstore series. I’m just hoping the cousins find a different way to catch the killer next time. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Dec 12, 2012 |
To my husband, Bill, for all that you are, and all that you allow me to be.
Clara Quinn was in the act of rearranging a display of cookbooks when she heard the rucks.

"Seeing visions of the future and turning into people's thoughts come naturally to Clara Quinn thanks to her inherited Quinn Sense. Unfortunately, it offers no insight into her love life-or lack thereof-especially where hardware store owner Rick Sanders is concerned. But even though she's still nursing a broken heart, Clara offers Rick a home for his troublesome dog, Tatters. But Tatters is the least of Rick's problems when a dead body is discovered in the back of his truck. The victim was seen in the hardware store-and bludgeoned to death with a hammer stolen from there. Clara believes Rick is innocent, but she's not sure whether that belief comes from the Quinn Sense in her head or simply from a desire in her heart..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,730,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible