The Year Of Eating Dangerously by K. Bennett

The Year Of Eating Dangerously

by K. Bennett

One of the most humorous books read in a while. The main character, Mallory, is a strong independent criminal defense lawyer and also a zombie. She narrates the story, setting in Los Angeles, through a good versus evil battle. There’s much more too it than just good versus evil, it’s humorous, entertaining, and keeps you turning the page.

One flaw in my copy, at no fault of the author, was that chapter twenty-six (my favorite chapter by the way) through chapter thirty-two is repeated in the middle of the book. Definitely can not wait to read others in this series. ( )
  AlishaK85 | Aug 20, 2015 |
Although not quite the page-turner that Pay Me in Flesh was, The Year of Eating Dangerously is still a delightful romp through the travails of Mallory Caine, zombie attorney. A quick and engaging read, it has me looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  eggsnhm | Apr 11, 2012 |
This was a highly amusing take on a the legal procedural / romance novel genre. It was a very quick read that finds our protagonist Mallory (a zombie raised from the dead against her will - trying to save her soul by finding out who did it) navigating the tricky waters of defending her zombie-killing father from killing a cop-zombie, falling in love with the DA she is up against while craving eating his brains, and trying to help a boy who is the subject of a satanic sacrifice which is signaling the beginning of Armageddon in Los Angles. If that sounds like a lot, it is. And with a breathlessly quick pace the plot moves fast and I would have loved more detail and much more detailed battle scenes. I also didn't understand why there were ancient demons from many different religions for a story that focuses on the Christian idea of the end of the world. This confused me. But it was a breezy read that was fun and occasionally witty and the romance promised on the cover didn't really materialize (thankfully). I would definitely read more books in this strange, offbeat series. ( )
  efg3 | Apr 4, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this book. I'm actually going to have to find book 1 and read it, and I'm already "missing" the characters and wondering what is going to happen next. I'm sad that this is such a new series, because that means I have to wait for books to come out to be able to read the whole story. I had trouble putting the book down, I already feel like this is going to be one of the series where I will need to buy and read every book. ( )
  dianek93 | Mar 27, 2012 |
I just received your book, interesting cover off to reading......... tootles..lol
  joycedlee | Mar 22, 2012 |
I wasn't real crazy about reading this book in the beginning since I hadn't read the first in the series. But I went out on a limb and ordered the first one and I absolutely loved it. And so reading Year of Eating Dangerously was a no brainer (no pun intended). I love Mallory Caine's determination and her faith in her clients, not to mention her dinner attire when going out! I didn't think I would enjoy the whole zombie scenario but I was wrong! I loved both books and hope there's a third to follow!
added by firemans_baby | editYear of Eating Dangerously, T. Baker (Apr 4, 2012)

As a lawyer, Mallory Caine considers it her duty to defend the innocent. As a flesh-eating zombie, she knows how to take a bite out of crime. So when a scared ten-year-old boy asks for her help - claiming that his mother wants to eat him - Mallory rises to the occasion. Unfortunately, the occasion is a Satanic ritual, the mum is a monster, and the boy is a sacrifice. Before you can say "The devil made me do it", Mallory is caught dead centre between a family of freaks, fire-breathing demons, and the final battle of good versus evil. If she doesn't have enough on her plate, the brain-chomping lawyer has to defend her zombie-hunting father in court. And, oh yeah: her flesh-eating secret is about to be exposed by a sexy LAPD detective who's good enough to eat. What's a zombie girl to do...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

When she is hired by a frightened 10-year-old boy who claims that his mother wants to eat him, lawyer and flesheating zombie Mallory Caine, a defender of the innocent, becomes caught between a family of freaks - and in the middle of a battle of good versus evil.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

K. Bennett's book The Year of Eating Dangerously was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible