Heir Of Mystery (Unlikely Exploits Trilogy)…

Heir Of Mystery (Unlikely Exploits Trilogy) (2003)

by Philip Ardagh

Opening Sentence: ‘…First and foremost, this is a book about death.…’

Looks like this quick and chuckle producing read has shaken me out of a reading “Blah.”

I read in the blurb that this story was a cross between Monty Python and Dickens – and being a lover of both I picked it up. Thankfully the blurb proved to be a very apt description indeed. The story starts just after book one in the series stopped, with the death of Fergal McNally when he falls out of a window. In their grief the family hasn’t noticed that Fergal’s brain is missing and the reader soon learns that the brain is making its way, in a pickle jar full of vinegar, to a spooky and dilapidated mansion in the middle of the nearby FishboneForest.

The remaining McNally children eventually discover what has happened and sneak into the forbidding forest to get their brother’s brain back. Unfortunately Mr Maggs, a crazy and dangerous teddy-bear clutching villain, doesn’t want to part with the brain, he has wicked plans for it.

I haven’t read the first book in the series, but it was not detrimental to my enjoyment of book two. HEIR OF MYSTERY was a fast read and jam-packed with laugh-out-loud silliness that was a perfect contrast to the scary stuff that was going on. Despite the size of the book the characters of the children come alive; as well as the delicious, yet wacky evilness of the baddie and his dumb sidekick.

As well as telling the story really well, Author Philip Ardagh conjured up vivid pictures in my mind, and the illustrations were great too. A perfectly twisted horror read for Halloween. ( )
  sally906 | Sep 12, 2010 |
In their second adventure, the four remaining McNally children are drawn to the mysterious Fishbone Forest in search of their dead brother's stolen brain, only to discover the terrifying Mr. Maggs and his sinister plan to change the world.
  prkcs | Apr 17, 2007 |
"Anything awful makes me laught. I misbehaved once at a funeral." - Charles Lamb, from a letter dated August 9, 1815
To Tim and Bradley of the Sussex Ambulance Service and to the doctores, nurses, auxiliary staff of the Coronary Care Unit at Conquest Hospital, all of whose acquaintance I unexpectedly made when reaching the closing stages of this book. A heartfelt thank-you.
First and foremsnt, this is a book about death.

The second installment in the "completely off-the-wall" new trilogy from the author of A HOUSE CALLED AWFUL END is packed with humor and excitement.

In this second Unlikely Exploit, Fergal McNally's brain--last seen in a pickling jar in the basement of Sacred Heart Hospital--is stolen, and the remaining McNally children find themselves mysteriously drawn to Fishbone Forest and the forgotten crumbling mansion that lies at its heart. There they meet the terrifying, teddy-bear-clutching Mr. Maggs, who has a fondness for riddles and is making big plans to change the world...which all sounds rather unlikely, doesn't it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:53 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,535,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible