3 Lives, In search of bliss by Srini Chandra

by Srini Chandra

411,664,912 (4.5)None
Recently added byfiamma.gt, bpreed, Holly76

DESCRIPTION
Ray Cordoza is a tired NYC cab driver, an ex-Catholic who lost his faith after the death of his mother. Life has been nothing but hard and unhappy for him. When his life is suddenly cut short, he has many unanswered questions for "the Voice." Ray blames his unhappiness on his life circumstances, complaining had they been different, he could have been happy. The Voice offers him a chance to find out if his theory is true over the course of three lives.

CONCEPT/PLOT - 5 stars
The pursuit of happiness is a timeless quest. It crosses all generations, all cultures, all walks of life. It was very interesting to see how "happiness" is defined by different people. Ray first comes back as a wealthy businessman, as his initial idea was that he could have been happy if his basic needs had been more easily met. He soon discovers that this question of "what is happiness" is not so easily answered, and he continues his pursuit over the course of his remaining lives.

This book approaches happiness from a philosophical, conceptual perspective versus a tangible one. One must read this book with an open mind to new concepts and definitions of happiness. Depending on what your own personal philosophy is, you will either love or hate the outcome of this story. Try to read it with an open mind.

WRITING STYLE/EXECUTION - 4 stars
This is a relatively short read, and it is able to be read quickly. However, there are many beautiful, quotable passages that really make you want to slow down and ponder. The story is easy to follow. However, I found that not enough backstory was given to most of the lives to make me really connect with the characters. For example, I would have liked to know more about Anwer Al Safi's life, but most of it is skipped over except for the "highlights." His sadness was only hinted at, but never truly shown over the course of time.

FORMATTING/EDITING - 2 stars
Oh dear, this is the part that I hate. I read the Kindle version of this book and unfortunately it was rife with grammatical errors and formatting issues. Not to the point that the book was unreadable, but it was annoying. I hate taking points off for this, but I have to. The grammar, punctuation especially, and formatting needs a good polishing before this book is ready for prime-time. I do hope the author invests the time into doing this, as I fear it will be a serious detractor for many readers. It would be a shame for this book to get passed over for something so easily fixable. ( )
  Holly76 | Dec 31, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,087,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible