Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance…

Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan) (edition 2012)

by Kathy Reichs

Member:redheadish
Title:Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan)
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Scribner (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

English (23)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (25)
I haven't read all of Kathy Reichs' books, but I've read quite a few and I always enjoy them. A bit heavy on the tech/info side and sometime too light on atmosphere, but that's just my opinion since these are police/crime stories, and Ms Reichs obviously knows what she is talking about. She makes forensic anthropolgy interesting. To be really honest, I'm very interested in the (small) sub-plot of what is happening between the main character Tempe and the francophone police officer Ryan, and the fact that these two characters are NOT teenagers or young adults is just SO nice!

And the fact that these stories touch on places I've been to or live right nearby, is pretty cool to.

There was another in this series that I actually would give a five star rating to, I enjoyed it so much, but I just can't remember the title. I'll have to shuffle through my books. Tempe is a great female character: she isn't a wuss, she is very smart, respected in her field (above many men even), but still has a heart. And she has a cat named Birdie. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
Oy. A dead kid, not the best thing to hook a read in. But, I persevered and kept reading and for the most part I wasn't sorry I did.

This Brennan series book takes place in Canada, though not just in Montreal or close to Montreal, but farther up north as well. I found that interesting, especially because as one of the characters in the story actually comments on, I've never really thought about just how much (a ton) of Canada is up there.

Brennan is at the site of the dead infant, the apartment of a young woman who had appeared at a hospital, bleeding, and then left without seeing anyway.

From there the story is off and running, taking Brennan, Detective Ryan, and a RCMP Sergeant that Brennan has a history with to Edmonton and then up north.

In the book there's also Caribou, Gold, Diamonds also, and for the most part the information dumps (history, current information, etc.) about those things are okay, and there were only a couple of times that the info pulled me from the narrative.

The characters were very well drawn again, and the Andrew Ryan/Tempe Brennan relationship was as twisty and turney as usual (though I'd love if once and for all they'd either be-- or not be. The back and forth is starting to drive me crazy). And Ollie, the RCMP Sergeant was definitely a-- unique-- character.

It was a slow starting story, but it ended better than it started for sure, picked up speed, and there was even some thriller to go with the mystery. A solid four stars. Not the best in the series, but not the worst either. ( )
  DanieXJ | Nov 25, 2014 |
In Reichs mystery novel, Temperance Brennan exposes the high-stakes of the diamond mining business as she aids authorities in tracking down a murderer across the Northwest Territories.

A gripping trek through forensics and crime. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jul 10, 2014 |
This was my first Kathy Reichs book and it stretched the limits of reality. Perhaps if I were a fan of Bones I would better connect with the characters, but I doubt I could last through a show which lacks a believable plot.
I got 2/3 through the book and was becoming too irritated to continue, so I abandoned it.
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |
The bodies of three murdered babies are found in a Montreal apartment. Ace forensic anthropologist Temp Brennan gets on the case, which takes her to Edmonton and Yellowknife and into a convoluted plot involving diamond mining.

Though the excitement is breathless and convincing, Reichs does some odd tricks with her dialogue. She seems to be aiming for speedy banter, something like an update of Hammett’s Nick and Nora Charles. Alas, Reichs’s ear is too tinny to pull off such sophisticated stuff.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 21, 2013)

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
rosenblat, barbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my very, very old friend
Bob "Airborne" Abel
The baby's eyes startled me. So round and white and pulsing with movement.

Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan examines the bodies of three babies while Detective Ryan investigates their mother in a case with ties to the high-stakes world of diamond mining.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,560,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible