Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance…

Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan) (edition 2012)

by Kathy Reichs

Member:redheadish
Title:Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan)
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Scribner (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

English (28)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (30)
For the first time since my review of The Graduate, I'm going to try to write a review in the style of the book I'm reviewing.

Everybody is familiar with Bones. The TV show character, not the books. TV Temperance is smart but socially awkward. More than smart, really. Genius. And then there's Booth. Sensitive but cocky. Irresistible. The chemistry between those two is undeniable.

But these are the books. Over time, the sentences have gotten shorter. Choppier. Fewer subjects and even fewer verbs. Lots of adjectives.

Then we'll get over-explanation of a scientific concept. Like a hospital worker waxing poetic about a CT scan of body parts. While entering instructions, she'd explained how the data produced by the scanner would be manipulated through a process known as windowing to demonstrate various bodily structures based on their ability to block the X-ray beam. She said that although images generated were historically in the axial or transverse plane, orthogonal to the long axis of the body, modern scanners now allowed data to be reformatted in various planes or even as volumetric -- three-dimensional -- representations.

I followed that. I just didn't particularly enjoy it. Is the CT operator really going to lecture the forensic anthropologist about how the scanner works? Somehow I doubt it.

We're fifteen books into the series now. After that many books, the basic repetition of plots is hard to avoid. So we get a murder. Or two. Or several. Tempe notices something unusual about the bones, giving the cops a clue to work from. Then purposely or accidentally, she ends up in the field meeting suspects. Sooner or later, there will be a tickle in her brain. Something she knows but can't put her finger on. Shaking her head, she'll go about her business. And then her jaw will drop in disbelief.

End chapter.

Before Tempe can tell anyone where she is, or what big part of the case she's just figured out, someone will hit her on the head.

Cue the pages of even shorter sentences. In the first person. Like this:
I wake up.
It's dark.
My head hurts.
Where am I?
What happened?
Did I drink too much and pass out?
My arm is asleep.
Or maybe it's been cut off?
I shift position.
Nope, there it is.
Pins and needles.
Nothing compared to the pain in my head.
Nausea.
I close my eyes.
Wait for my stomach to settle.
Then I remember.
Someone hit me over the head!
I have to get out of here.
Wherever here is.
I slowly turn over.
Nothing above me but rock.
It's cold. Still dark. And quiet.
I open my mouth to scream and realize it's taped shut.
Then I hear a noise.
I freeze.
Is it a mouse? Or is someone there? Help!

Surprise, surprise, Tempe gets rescued. The bad guys get caught. Justice is served. But nothing can bring back the murder victims. Because diamonds bones are forever.

Thank you, and goodnight. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I strugged with giving this novel 2 or 3 stars. I finally figured if there was that much struggle it must be a 2. I love Temperance Brennan but I'm beginning to not love the books about her so much. This one had to much about the science of how diamonds are made. Give me a mystery; don't give me a college class in physical geography. I already took that class. The parts that were about "people" were fairly good but not good enough to raise my rating. ( )
  kp9949 | Nov 19, 2015 |
Started today, October 9th, 2012 just after finishing Tess Gerritsen: Last to die.
This case might be too disturbing for a few, from the first little dead body found.
Twisted and complicated case, meandering through Canada and several version of what-if.
Sad turn of events, all too real.
Being in Germany we had our shares of buried babies, unclear wether stillborn or killed.
So the story is not too far-fetched.
The setting is a small town where everyone is somehow related to each other and even smalls events are spread fast so all know about it.
This felt real, people on the fringe of society, scraping for money.
Some of Kathy Reichs books have been hit-or-miss, this is one of the best. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
  Bookman1954 | Oct 21, 2015 |
Bones are Forever by Kathy Reichs is a 2012 Scribner Publication.

The Temperance Brennan series is another long running series I lost touch with over time. Thankfully, this series still has it's edge and I have already queued up more of these to read later.

This story is difficult, more so than others, due to the discovery of dead infants. The investigation will put Tempe in the awkward position of working with two men she was romantically involved with in the past, Ryan being one of them.

For those who follow this series, you know what to expect in terms of detailed forensics and that is what makes these stories so interesting. There were a few times when the author went into some details of forensic science that lasted too long and went a little bit over my head. But, for the most part this story is fast paced, has lots of twist and turns, double crosses, and was really sad too, of course. Greed is one powerful motivator and leads to all manner of sin and crime, and this story is a prime example.

The banter between Ollie and Ryan was so funny, as they are jealous over Tempe , but that tension between Ryan and Tempe is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I loved the ending and hope that we will see a deeper bond form with these two over time and maybe the issues that drove them apart can now be resolved.

Overall this is another solid addition to the series and I enjoyed touching base with Brennan and the gang once more. I am going to try my very best not to lose touch with them again.

4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jul 2, 2015 |
The bodies of three murdered babies are found in a Montreal apartment. Ace forensic anthropologist Temp Brennan gets on the case, which takes her to Edmonton and Yellowknife and into a convoluted plot involving diamond mining.

Though the excitement is breathless and convincing, Reichs does some odd tricks with her dialogue. She seems to be aiming for speedy banter, something like an update of Hammett’s Nick and Nora Charles. Alas, Reichs’s ear is too tinny to pull off such sophisticated stuff.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 21, 2013)

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
rosenblat, barbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my very, very old friend
Bob "Airborne" Abel
The baby's eyes startled me. So round and white and pulsing with movement.

Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan examines the bodies of three babies while Detective Ryan investigates their mother in a case with ties to the high-stakes world of diamond mining.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,791,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible