Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance…

Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan) (edition 2012)

by Kathy Reichs

563None17,581 (3.67)25
Member:redheadish
Title:Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan)
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Scribner (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

English (18)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (20)
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I much prefer Kathy Reichs books that are set in Canada to the ones where she is in the US. It seems like she alternates between Canada and the US which is natural given that she alternates between Montreal and Charlotte, SC in real life. But this one is firmly set in Canada and was very enjoyable.

Temperance Brennan has only been in Montreal for a short time when she is called in to a seedy apartment where a dead infant was found stuffed in the bathroom vanity. The mother had been in the ER with signs that she had given birth but she denied that she had been pregnant or had a child. By the time the police had been called to her apartment the mother, Amy Roberts, had disappeared. While Temperance was in the apartment another infant's skeleton was found in a window seat. Then when the cadaver dog was brought in it alerted at the bedroom closet. Sure enough, another mummified infant was found in the attic above the closet. Temperance and Andrew Ryan, although no longer a couple, share a disgust at these crimes and a determination to catch Amy Roberts. Their investigation takes them to Edmonton, where another infant corpse is found, and then to Yellowknife.

It seems like Reichs made good use of her trip to the Yellowknife NorthWords Literary Festival to research the setting and information about mining and prospecting in the North West Territories. I was a little distressed that Tempe seemed so clueless before her trip to Yellowknife about the geography and mining. Surely, somehow she could have picked up information about Canada's north. However, I guess it was a useful device to impart the information to the readers and probably many of them would not know about that area.

Interesting book but if you are a recent mother you may not want to read it. ( )
  gypsysmom | Mar 13, 2014 |
A story that takes one from the streets of Montreal to the neighbourhoods of Yellowknife. So well written that one feels they are beside Temperance Brennan as she drags out each little truth to disclose the reasons for the death of a simple young woman. Is anyone who they appear to be? ( )
  Don.Young | Jan 7, 2014 |
Enjoyed more than her last book

Book Description
Release date: August 20, 2013
Beneath a diamond’s perfect surface lies a story of violence and greed. Just like bones. . . .

In a run-down Montreal apartment, Tempe finds heartbreaking evidence of three innocent lives ended. The landlord says Alma Rogers lives there— is she the same woman who checked into a city hospital as Amy Roberts, then fled before doctors could treat her uncontrolled bleeding? Is she Alva Rodriguez, sought by a man who appeared at the crime scene? Heading up an investigation crackling with the sexual tension of past intimacies, Tempe leads homicide detective Andrew Ryan and police sergeant Ollie Hasty along the woman’s trail and into the farthest reaches of mining country—where the grim industry of unearthing diamonds exacts a price in blood. And where the truths the unlikely trio uncovers are more sinister than they could have imagined.
Show less ( )
  Suzanne_Mitchell | Dec 28, 2013 |
It was just what the doctor ordered. A little murder (no pun intended), a bit of Temperance a whole lot of mystery and the best part it took place in the Tundra.

It was a sad story. Starting off with a dead baby. Sad because of all the lost souls. And even a if continued to find the humanity which Reich is so good at doing in this lost bones was wonderful.

This was a very satisfying Temperance book for me. I have to remember the book Bones is different than our TV Bones. I think this can be frustrating at times because they are so different. It was nice to see the story move on after all the change in her life at the end of the last book.

Very happy I finally read it! Can' wait for the new on in week! ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
The Good: Dead newborn babies are always a attention-getter. But so many infants, to a woman with so many aliases? That makes for a compelling mystery. While I'm not usually a fan of these books when they're set in Quebec, I really enjoyed Tempe and Ryan traversing Canada as a whole.

The Bad: The addition of Ollie was sort of disastrous. I think he was meant as a foil for Ryan, but instead of pushing Ryan into action where Tempe is concerned, it just made both Ollie and Ryan act like 6th grade boys kicking dirt at each other trying to impress the girl. And in that scenerio, everyone loses. ( )
  TequilaReader | May 22, 2013 |
The bodies of three murdered babies are found in a Montreal apartment. Ace forensic anthropologist Temp Brennan gets on the case, which takes her to Edmonton and Yellowknife and into a convoluted plot involving diamond mining.

Though the excitement is breathless and convincing, Reichs does some odd tricks with her dialogue. She seems to be aiming for speedy banter, something like an update of Hammett’s Nick and Nora Charles. Alas, Reichs’s ear is too tinny to pull off such sophisticated stuff.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 21, 2013)

For my very, very old friend
Bob "Airborne" Abel
The baby's eyes startled me. So round and white and pulsing with movement.

Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan examines the bodies of three babies while Detective Ryan investigates their mother in a case with ties to the high-stakes world of diamond mining.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible