Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance…

Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan) (edition 2012)

by Kathy Reichs

Member:redheadish
Title:Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan)
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Scribner (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

English (30)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  English (32)
I liked it ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Review: Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs.

The book was well written, tightly plotted, colorful developed characters, and the environmental settings were interesting. The book is full of fascinating information about forensic anthropology, diamond mining and aboriginals in Canada. There are a few sub-plots that gets resolved towards the end but the main situation that starts the story is heartbreaking and encourages the reader to move on to find answers. Besides the intriguing story the book was very educational when it came to forensic data yet sometimes it was a little over done in the area of information but I still enjoyed the history and mystery that Reichs embedded throughout the book.

The two main investigators were Temerance Brennan the anthropologist and Lieutenant Andrew Ryan a detective who were searching for the mother of a few dead babies. Their search starts in Montreal to Edmonton where they hook up with Sergeant Oliver Hasty an ex-lover of Brennan’s. Being a mother herself Brennan is determined to track down and to get justice for these innocent babies whose lives were cut short at birth. The trail of dead babies leads them to the severe North of Canada smack-dab into a drug/ prostitution ring and an action diamond mining community in Yellowknife. When they get to this area of Canada things start to get tangled with other crimes all connected to the family of the mother of the dead babies. Plus, Brennan gets involved as people keep dying over a family legacy that just happens to be the family of the girl they were looking for.

As the story goes on more events and adventure is written into the story to keep the reader mystified and turning the pages. They find out who the mother was but they had a hard time finding her until one night the girl, with many alias; Amy, Alma, Alice and Annaliese was behind the motel where Brennan was staying. So, Brennan gets a call to meet Annaliese at the back of the building but unknown to either one of them someone else was lurking in the shadows of the trees….read the book to find out which one was in danger, Annaliese or Brennan or both….?

The story was intriguing because of the main subject matter about dead babies, the details about the diamond mining, the forensic procedures, the Native American history,
and the characters being murdered but all-in-all I felt like there wasn’t enough material about the main crime of the story…..the mother and the dead babies…
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
From Amazon:

In a run-down Montreal apartment, Tempe finds heartbreaking evidence of three innocent lives ended. The landlord says Alma Rogers lives there— is she the same woman who checked into a city hospital as Amy Roberts, then fled before doctors could treat her uncontrolled bleeding? Is she Alva Rodriguez, sought by a man who appeared at the crime scene? Heading up an investigation crackling with the sexual tension of past intimacies, Tempe leads homicide detective Andrew Ryan and police sergeant Ollie Hasty along the woman’s trail and into the farthest reaches of mining country—where the grim industry of unearthing diamonds exacts a price in blood. And where the truths the unlikely trio uncovers are more sinister than they could have imagined.

My Thoughts:

This is another good book in a consistently terrific series. It starts with one plot and ends in a totally different plot. These are tied together remarkably well and, of course, with our two favorite characters, Brennan & Ryan. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
For the first time since my review of The Graduate, I'm going to try to write a review in the style of the book I'm reviewing.

Everybody is familiar with Bones. The TV show character, not the books. TV Temperance is smart but socially awkward. More than smart, really. Genius. And then there's Booth. Sensitive but cocky. Irresistible. The chemistry between those two is undeniable.

But these are the books. Over time, the sentences have gotten shorter. Choppier. Fewer subjects and even fewer verbs. Lots of adjectives.

Then we'll get over-explanation of a scientific concept. Like a hospital worker waxing poetic about a CT scan of body parts. While entering instructions, she'd explained how the data produced by the scanner would be manipulated through a process known as windowing to demonstrate various bodily structures based on their ability to block the X-ray beam. She said that although images generated were historically in the axial or transverse plane, orthogonal to the long axis of the body, modern scanners now allowed data to be reformatted in various planes or even as volumetric -- three-dimensional -- representations.

I followed that. I just didn't particularly enjoy it. Is the CT operator really going to lecture the forensic anthropologist about how the scanner works? Somehow I doubt it.

We're fifteen books into the series now. After that many books, the basic repetition of plots is hard to avoid. So we get a murder. Or two. Or several. Tempe notices something unusual about the bones, giving the cops a clue to work from. Then purposely or accidentally, she ends up in the field meeting suspects. Sooner or later, there will be a tickle in her brain. Something she knows but can't put her finger on. Shaking her head, she'll go about her business. And then her jaw will drop in disbelief.

End chapter.

Before Tempe can tell anyone where she is, or what big part of the case she's just figured out, someone will hit her on the head.

Cue the pages of even shorter sentences. In the first person. Like this:
I wake up.
It's dark.
My head hurts.
Where am I?
What happened?
Did I drink too much and pass out?
My arm is asleep.
Or maybe it's been cut off?
I shift position.
Nope, there it is.
Pins and needles.
Nothing compared to the pain in my head.
Nausea.
I close my eyes.
Wait for my stomach to settle.
Then I remember.
Someone hit me over the head!
I have to get out of here.
Wherever here is.
I slowly turn over.
Nothing above me but rock.
It's cold. Still dark. And quiet.
I open my mouth to scream and realize it's taped shut.
Then I hear a noise.
I freeze.
Is it a mouse? Or is someone there? Help!

Surprise, surprise, Tempe gets rescued. The bad guys get caught. Justice is served. But nothing can bring back the murder victims. Because diamonds bones are forever.

Thank you, and goodnight. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I strugged with giving this novel 2 or 3 stars. I finally figured if there was that much struggle it must be a 2. I love Temperance Brennan but I'm beginning to not love the books about her so much. This one had to much about the science of how diamonds are made. Give me a mystery; don't give me a college class in physical geography. I already took that class. The parts that were about "people" were fairly good but not good enough to raise my rating. ( )
  kp9949 | Nov 19, 2015 |
The bodies of three murdered babies are found in a Montreal apartment. Ace forensic anthropologist Temp Brennan gets on the case, which takes her to Edmonton and Yellowknife and into a convoluted plot involving diamond mining.

Though the excitement is breathless and convincing, Reichs does some odd tricks with her dialogue. She seems to be aiming for speedy banter, something like an update of Hammett’s Nick and Nora Charles. Alas, Reichs’s ear is too tinny to pull off such sophisticated stuff.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 21, 2013)

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionscalculated
rosenblat, barbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my very, very old friend
Bob "Airborne" Abel
The baby's eyes startled me. So round and white and pulsing with movement.

Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan examines the bodies of three babies while Detective Ryan investigates their mother in a case with ties to the high-stakes world of diamond mining.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible