Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance…

Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan) (edition 2012)

by Kathy Reichs

Member:redheadish
Title:Bones Are Forever: A Novel (Temperance Brennan)
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Scribner (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

English (25)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (27)
Bones are Forever by Kathy Reichs is a 2012 Scribner Publication.

The Temperance Brennan series is another long running series I lost touch with over time. Thankfully, this series still has it's edge and I have already queued up more of these to read later.

This story is difficult, more so than others, due to the discovery of dead infants. The investigation will put Tempe in the awkward position of working with two men she was romantically involved with in the past, Ryan being one of them.

For those who follow this series, you know what to expect in terms of detailed forensics and that is what makes these stories so interesting. There were a few times when the author went into some details of forensic science that lasted too long and went a little bit over my head. But, for the most part this story is fast paced, has lots of twist and turns, double crosses, and was really sad too, of course. Greed is one powerful motivator and leads to all manner of sin and crime, and this story is a prime example.

The banter between Ollie and Ryan was so funny, as they are jealous over Tempe , but that tension between Ryan and Tempe is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I loved the ending and hope that we will see a deeper bond form with these two over time and maybe the issues that drove them apart can now be resolved.

Overall this is another solid addition to the series and I enjoyed touching base with Brennan and the gang once more. I am going to try my very best not to lose touch with them again.

4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jul 2, 2015 |
Kathy Reichs' books are easy to read yet give educational value to fiction. It is comforting to know she is always writing something new. I learned quite a bit about diamond mining, the Canadian terrain and culture. As with all of Reichs' books, the family of characters is all there, La Manche, Andrew Ryan, Tempe Brennan, ready to tackle the next adventure mystery. ( )
  librariall | May 7, 2015 |
I haven't read all of Kathy Reichs' books, but I've read quite a few and I always enjoy them. A bit heavy on the tech/info side and sometime too light on atmosphere, but that's just my opinion since these are police/crime stories, and Ms Reichs obviously knows what she is talking about. She makes forensic anthropolgy interesting. To be really honest, I'm very interested in the (small) sub-plot of what is happening between the main character Tempe and the francophone police officer Ryan, and the fact that these two characters are NOT teenagers or young adults is just SO nice!

And the fact that these stories touch on places I've been to or live right nearby, is pretty cool to.

There was another in this series that I actually would give a five star rating to, I enjoyed it so much, but I just can't remember the title. I'll have to shuffle through my books. Tempe is a great female character: she isn't a wuss, she is very smart, respected in her field (above many men even), but still has a heart. And she has a cat named Birdie. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
Oy. A dead kid, not the best thing to hook a read in. But, I persevered and kept reading and for the most part I wasn't sorry I did.

This Brennan series book takes place in Canada, though not just in Montreal or close to Montreal, but farther up north as well. I found that interesting, especially because as one of the characters in the story actually comments on, I've never really thought about just how much (a ton) of Canada is up there.

Brennan is at the site of the dead infant, the apartment of a young woman who had appeared at a hospital, bleeding, and then left without seeing anyway.

From there the story is off and running, taking Brennan, Detective Ryan, and a RCMP Sergeant that Brennan has a history with to Edmonton and then up north.

In the book there's also Caribou, Gold, Diamonds also, and for the most part the information dumps (history, current information, etc.) about those things are okay, and there were only a couple of times that the info pulled me from the narrative.

The characters were very well drawn again, and the Andrew Ryan/Tempe Brennan relationship was as twisty and turney as usual (though I'd love if once and for all they'd either be-- or not be. The back and forth is starting to drive me crazy). And Ollie, the RCMP Sergeant was definitely a-- unique-- character.

It was a slow starting story, but it ended better than it started for sure, picked up speed, and there was even some thriller to go with the mystery. A solid four stars. Not the best in the series, but not the worst either. ( )
  DanieXJ | Nov 25, 2014 |
In Reichs mystery novel, Temperance Brennan exposes the high-stakes of the diamond mining business as she aids authorities in tracking down a murderer across the Northwest Territories.

A gripping trek through forensics and crime. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jul 10, 2014 |
The bodies of three murdered babies are found in a Montreal apartment. Ace forensic anthropologist Temp Brennan gets on the case, which takes her to Edmonton and Yellowknife and into a convoluted plot involving diamond mining.

Though the excitement is breathless and convincing, Reichs does some odd tricks with her dialogue. She seems to be aiming for speedy banter, something like an update of Hammett’s Nick and Nora Charles. Alas, Reichs’s ear is too tinny to pull off such sophisticated stuff.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 21, 2013)

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
rosenblat, barbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my very, very old friend
Bob "Airborne" Abel
The baby's eyes startled me. So round and white and pulsing with movement.

Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan examines the bodies of three babies while Detective Ryan investigates their mother in a case with ties to the high-stakes world of diamond mining.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible