Crawl to Me by Alan Robert

Crawl to Me

by Alan Robert, menton3 (Illustrator)

821,035,133 (4.33)None

I’m not sure how I feel about this particular work. The story was well set up but I don’t have the patience to wait for another issue.
Crawl to Me is the story of a man who witnesses his neighbor shoot a group of police officers before he falls himself. Ryan goes to see if there are any survivors to find that the man on the porch had done something to him as a child. One can guess it was sexual since the police had said he was a registered sex offender and the connecting image is the man’s belt buckle.
Ryan is mentally disturbed and one can guess that this is due to the abuse he suffered as a child but this didn’t really connect for me. I didn’t like the style of the art in this series. I’m just not a fan of monochromatic drawings especially those that throw in jarring colors. It’s too hard on my eyes and makes me not want to pay attention to the work. I like art that allows me to see the story quickly as I read. Monochromatic styles hid too many of the details.
I can see potential in this series but I’m not sure that’s enough to encourage me to pick up more issues. As I have said, I prefer the novel approach but I understand the single issue format. I hope that I am able to pick this up in novel form soon enough before I forget that I was interested.
*Note - I wrote this review weeks ago. Yesterday, I read an article that Crawl to Me has already been optioned for a movie. According to NetGalley this comic book/graphic novel was set to be published on January 17th. According to the article, it's already sold out it's first printing and a second one is quick in the works. I'm a little frustrated by the incorrect dates on NetGalley because I'm trying to match the reviews to the publishing dates but no matter. I look forward to reading more than the first issue because maybe there is more to this than I originally thought. ( )
  SDPogue | Jan 24, 2012 |
Deeply disturbing but ultimately satisfying, Crawl to Me is phenomenal. Horror fans will love the intense emotional roller coaster of Alan Robert’s new series. Robert’s (best known for being the bassist and creative force behind the rock group, Life of Agony), will definitely hijack your mind and terrify you in ways you never thought existed. Be prepared, because the journey you are about to embark on in this 4 part mini-series will leave you questioning your own sanity.

Husband and wife Ryan and Jessica finally move into their first home together. Unfortunately for them, what should have been a happy time in their lives was overshadowed by the bizarre events that began to take place. Question is, are they real and if so what malevolent force is behind it? Unlike any comic I’ve read in a while, Crawl to Me pushes the envelope of madness. Its gritty art style works like magic to create a beautiful masterpiece giving me a new appreciation for the color red. Each panel is given just the right splash of color to inflict the feeling of something just isn’t right. Even the smallest word such as the bark of a dog sucks you into the drama of the story. The pacing along with Robert’s unique use of colors makes for one suspenseful story from the first page to the last.

Overall, Crawl to Me #1 presents an intense and impressive start to a new series. Issue one sets the tone, mood, and WOW factor for the next three issues which I hope keep the same momentum of fear and hair-raising narrative. I am really looking forward to reading the next three, although this time, I am pretty sure I will keep the lights on.

Originally Reviewed On: MotherGamerWriter.com ( )
  momgamerwriter | Dec 3, 2011 |

Alan Robertprimary authorall editionscalculated
menton3Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,301,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible