Death of a Salesman [critical edition] by…

Death of a Salesman [critical edition] (1967)

by Arthur Miller, Gerald Weales (Editor)

Other authors: William Beyer (Contributor), Judah Bierman (Contributor), Ivor Brown (Contributor), John Mason Brown (Contributor), Eleanor Clark (Contributor)20 more, Harold Clurman (Contributor), George de Schweinitz (Contributor), William B. Dillingham (Contributor), A. Howard Fuller (Contributor), Robert Garland (Contributor), John Gassner (Contributor), William Hawkins (Contributor), Joseph A. Hynes (Contributor), Jo Mielzinger (Contributor), Walter D. Moody (Contributor), George Ross (Contributor), Daniel E. Schneider (Contributor), Allan Seager (Contributor), Irwin Shaw (Contributor), Gerald Weales (Contributor), Eudora Welty (Contributor), William Wiegand (Contributor), Raymond Williams (Contributor), Tennessee Williams (Contributor), T. C. Worsley (Contributor)

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All (8)
I read this in my HS English class.
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
A truly sad story, but one that appealed to me. Well-written and heartwrenching, it is very easy to see why Death of a Salesman is considered a classic. It is about the premature death that comes about when oen deludes oneself into believing something that simply isn't true. ( )
  lizzy-x | Jul 3, 2011 |
I'd heard this play referenced so many times but still knew almost nothing about it. Well, imagine George Costanza if he wasn't played for laughs and had two kids who idolized him and believed all his bullshit. It'd be the saddest thing in the world. In that sense--the pathetic self-inflicted grinding up of a mediocre man determined to appear great--the fact that when greatness is all you value, all else is ashes, and the only other alternative is cutting off your nose to spite your face--this is true tragedy. It's also, of course, a parable on post-industrial capitalism--we can't build our lives on anything real anymore: it's all smoke and mirrors, networking and marketing. Willy Loman thought there was room for the human subject and human sympathy in the machine. He was a positivist in a decentered, structuralist system. He, and his family, paid the price.

It's just gotten worse, too, you know. They had the "installment plan"--we have "financing", or more likely we just throw everything on our credit cards and pretend like it's already paid for. We are liars within liars, and we'll never be exposed like Loman was--because as long as we're not exposed, but live in fear of it, we can go on consuming, feeding the machine. Capitalism thrives on people who are afraid and have something to prove, and crave the esteem and love of others. Be brave, and love who you are yourself. ( )
3 vote MeditationesMartini | Mar 2, 2011 |
A play of tragedy. A journey through the daily life of an ordinary man with a self misconception, which ultimately leads his downfall.
Students can use this play to come to understand the fallacies of the "American Dream" in an ordinary American man.
Lesson Plan suggestion:
http://ubdeducators.wikispaces.com/Dana+Death+of+a+Salesman+Unit ( )
  salisb27 | Nov 1, 2010 |
This play seemed quite revolutionary and interesting when I read it in my Intro to Drama class in undergrad studies, but now it seems overdone. I am probably just jaded, though. :) If you are looking for deep thoughts, this play might not be it. However, I think I read it (and watched it) in the perfect spot--as an introduction to drama. No more, no less. ( )
  amandacb | Mar 18, 2010 |

Wiegand, WilliamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, RaymondContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, TennesseeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Worsley, T. C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a critical edition with 286 pages of additional material. Please do not combine with the main edition.

Willy Loman, the protagonist of Death of a Salesman, has spent his life following the American way, living out his belief in salesmanship as a way to reinvent himself. But somehow the riches and respect he covets have eluded him. At age 63, he searches for the moment his life took a wrong turn, the moment of betrayal that undermined his relationship with his wife and destroyed his relationship with Biff, the son in whom he invested his faith. Willy lives in a fragile world of elaborate excuses and daydreams, conflating past and present in a desperate attempt to make sense of himself and of a world that once promised so much.

Since it was first performed in 1949, Arthur Miller's Pulitzer Prize-winning drama about the tragic shortcomings of an American dreamer has been recognized as a milestone of the theater. This Viking Critical Library edition of Death of a Salesman contains the complete text of the play, typescript facsimiles, and extensive critical and contextual material including:

Conflicting reviews about its opening night by Robert Garland, Harold Clurman, Eleanor Clark, and others Five articles by Miller on his play, including "Tragedy and the Common Man" and his "Introduction to Collected Plays" Critical essays by John Gassner, Ivor Brown, Joseph A. Hynes, and others General essays on Miller by William Weigand, Allan Seager, and others Analogous works by Eudora Welty, Walter D. Moody, Tennessee Williams, and Irwin Shaw The stage designer's account, presented in selections from Designing for the Theatre by Jo Mielziner An in-depth introduction by the editor, a chronology, a list of topics for discussion and papers, and a bibliography

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

Death of a Salesman has been justly celebrated as one of the most famous dramatisations of the failure of the American Dream, but its moral and political purpose is perfectly counterbalanced by a powerful and moving human drama of a man trying to make his way in the world and of the human flaws that lead to the shattering of his family and of their idol.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible