Caregiving: The Spiritual Journey of Love,…

Caregiving: The Spiritual Journey of Love, Loss, and Renewal

by Beth Witrogen McLeod

442262,368 (3)None

Caregiving focuses on the challenges of dealing with the chronic illness of parent or spouse. The physical, financial, and emotional problems that family members face are portrayed in the stories of real caregivers and by exploring the spiritual context of the caregiver.

As a caregiver myself, I found much to relate to, particularly in the anecdotal material, which is often touching and quite real. I found inspiration in the concept that caregiving is an opportunity to change for the better, to be a better human being in the service of someone you love. I also admit, with some guilt, that in reading the anecdotes I often thought how lucky I was to not have all of the burdens that others have.

A good deal of the book deals with the caregiver’s role from psychological, religious, and mythic perspectives heavily infused with Joseph Campbell and Eastern religion. I found some of this material to verge on psychobabble, and found the author’s attempt to merge this information into the practical detail to be awkward. Nonetheless, this is a valuable work to turn to as so many of us become caregivers. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Aug 21, 2010 |
CAREGIVING
The Spiritual Journey of Love, Loss, and Renewal
Beth Witrogen McLeod

Sooner or later it will touch us all: A family member or loved one becomes ill or disabled, and we step in to help. This is caregiving. Framed by the author’s personal odyssey as a caregiver and richly informed by the inspiring and poignant tales of others, Caregiving explores medical and financial problems, all aspects of spirituality, and such issues as depression, stress, housing, home care, and end-of-life concerns. A rare blend of powerful storytelling and practical information
  seniorfriendshipven | May 15, 2009 |

Helping your family and loved ones when they need you most

"Caregiving has a big heart-on a much-needed topic. A rare book of spiritual and practical wisdom."
Sue Bender, author of Plain and Simple and Everyday Sacred

"A poignant, wise, and in-the-trenches view of caregiving that is both practical and spiritual, especially of value to midlife adults."
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D., author of Goddesses in Everywoman and Close to the Bone

"Lovely. . . . Beth McLeod's experience and wisdom shine through as she shares her heartfelt journey of loss, surrender, hope, and healing."
David Simon, M.D. medical director, the Chopra Center for Well Being, author of Vital Energy and Return to Wholeness

Sooner or later it will touch us all: A family member or loved one becomes ill or disabled, and we step in to help. This is caregiving, and in this powerful, unique book, prizewinning writer and advocate Beth Witrogen McLeod leads us through the caregiving journey with unflinching authority and compassion. Framed by the author's personal odyssey as a caregiver and richly informed by the inspiring and poignant tales of others, Caregiving explores medical and financial problems, all aspects of spirituality, and such issues as depression, stress, housing, home care, and end-of-life concerns. A rare blend of powerful storytelling and practical information, Caregiving is a revelation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:07 -0400)

Sooner or later it will touch us all: A family member or loved one becomes ill or disabled, and we step in to help. This is caregiving, and in this powerful, unique book, prizewinning writer and advocate Beth Witrogen McLeod leads us through the caregiving journey with unflinching authority and compassion. Framed by the author's personal odyssey as a caregiver and richly informed by the inspiring and poignant tales of others, this book explores medical and financial problems, all aspects of spirituality, and such issues as depression, stress, housing, home care, and end-of-life concerns. A rare blend of powerful storytelling and practical information, Caregiving is a revelation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible