A Scandalous Scot (Avon Historical Romance)…

A Scandalous Scot (Avon Historical Romance)

by Karen Ranney

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of ths book through First Reads. All opinions, however, are my own.

Historical romance is not typically my thing. Not only that, but the last couple of romances I've read have been positvely dreadful. Between those two facts, I did not have high expectations for this book. (Which, I suppose begs the question: why did I sign up for it? Who knows.)

That said, this book was surprisingly enjoyable. Though I expected to trudge through it, I finished it in about a day. The author didn't get carried away with the flowery descriptions or declarations (as historical romance writers seem wont to do). The plot was engaging and not woefully predictable. I was actually surprised by a couple of the twists, something that doesn't happen often in a romance novel. The characters were likeable and relateable. It was refreshing to read about historical characters who had actual personalities and senses of humor; so often, dialogue in historical romances seems stilted.

The only possible "con" I can give to this book is that it was light on the smut. But, having just read "Fifty Shades," I probably have unreasonably high expectations in that department. (And heavens knows this was much better written than "Fifty Shades," which more than makes up for any perceived lack of sex.)

This is not a book I would have picked up on my own, so I am delighted that I was given a copy. I'll definitely be seeking out other books by this author. ( )
  amandamay83 | Apr 2, 2013 |

Returning to the Highlands of his birth to reclaim his honor, Morgan McCraig is unable to find peace in Ballindair Castle due to an outspoken new maid named Jean MacDonald who, harboring a dark secret, is trying his patience, challenging his manhood, and stealing his heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,339,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible