Hex Appeal by P. N. Elrod
Recently added byMoranaMora, private library, JennyJen, mjharwood, syaffolee, Glennis.LeBlanc, ayliang, meggie

★★★★ for Ilona Andrews' Retribution Clause only.

These authors never fail to produce fascinating characters. Every short story of theirs makes me wish it was a full-length novel. This one was no different. Two fascinating characters, a solid little plot, a hint of undeveloped love, and the magic-filled Kate Daniels world can't go wrong.

As with all of their shorts, one star off for ending too soon and just before things between the MC's got really good. They always make me want more. Moar, dammit.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Another anthology that collects several writers that I really like to read. All the stories are set in previous story universes, granted the Rachel Caine one there has only been one other short story with those characters. So this collection is a great calling card for these writers to get you to taste their writing styles and see if you want more of their universes. For the most part I was pretty happy with what I read there were a few that didn't work for me and that means I'll be skipping them. I did add one maybe to the mountain of TBR but who knows when I will get to it. Most of the contributors I have enjoyed their stuff and it was nice to get a small dose of their writing while waiting on the next book. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
There are a bunch of really good reviews of this anthology, most I agree with totally. There are some great stories in this anthology, and a couple my particular tastes didn't care for. But even the ones I wasn't crazy about, I still liked well enough. As with all anthologies I read, I also found a couple of new authors that I didn't know that much about - but find that their work is worth looking into! Overall, I would say a 3.5 more than a 4 in total, but a couple of the stories threw it over the top into the 4 territory.

So, here is a short anthology review of my take on this great anthology!

Retribution Clause by Illona Andrews:

What can I say? It is Illona Andrews, my favorite writing team. They are, in my own estimation, wonderful writers. I love that every time they do an anthology, they give a bit more on characters mentioned in their other works, but you never learn much about. This one is about Adam Talford, cousin of the notorious Saimon the Ice Giant, made popular in Andrews MARVELOUS "Kate Daniels" seriesMagic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1). Adam is a much different character than Saimon, in what I consider to be a good way. I have always felt somewhat sorry for Saimon, no matter what an ass he can be. He feels like a scared, broken creature, lacking in confidence and self love. Adam is a different character, more comfortable in his own skin. I would be happy to read more about him, if this mighty writing duo ever thinks to do so.

5 of 5 for character development and story line

Bigfoot on Campus - Jim Butcher:

OK, I love Jim Butcher's work. His Dresden filesStorm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) are creative, funny, and well worth a read at any time. Bigfoot On Campus is definitely one of the best of his short stories. Which is saying a lot, as all of his short stories are wonderful. Highly creative, with very likable (and very hateable) characters, this is one of my favorites. A newbie could certainly jump into the Dresden Files from this spot and get a good overview of just what a great series this is.

5 of 5 for interesting characters, and Butcher's unique style

Holly's Balm - Rachel Caine

I have to admit, I have only read one other of Rachel Caine's stories, "Death Warmed Over" in the anthology Strange Brew (2010). I really enjoyed that story, and absolutely enjoyed this one. Holly Anne is a strong resurrectionist witch, but still has to deal with a 9-5 as a paper pusher, just to make the bills. Especially since the testimony of resurrection corpses is no longer legal. Start with Strange Brew, then read this one, in order to keep the story line in order. Or not. Up to you. Still a wonderful addition to my anthology collection.

5 of 5 for continuing storyline, and a female heroine who is a working stiff

Snow Job by Carole Nelson Douglas

Carole Nelson Douglas is an author I never really had in my 'go to' list. No real reason, other than I just have a lot of really great authors on my list. Until, that is, I ran across Dancing with Werewolves: Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator. Anyone who lives in a magical cottage from a movie set with a huge half wolf, half wolfhound, gets my attention! The series is now on my "must read" list, and will be, without a doubt, one of those series I read more than once. This short story is set later in the book series, so I almost wish I had waited to read it, but I don't regret it - much.

4.5 of 5 for being a bit lost in the storyline as I have only read the first book.

Outside the Box - by P.N. Elrod

Marsha Madinia Goldfarb. An interesting name for a witch, right? Well, a junior witch, with a lot to learn. Vampires are real in Miss Goldfarb's world, but we don't want the 'normals' to know that, now do we? All in all, I found this story to be cute, but not one of my favorites in the anthology. No real reason, it just didn't catch my interest as much as some of the others. You may very well find it one of your favorites of the whole book. Maybe just because I am sort of burned out on vampires? Hum, now that is a possibilities.

3 out of 5 for not being really all that entertaining

How Do You Feel? by Simon R. Green

Let's admit it-I much prefer stories with women heros. However, with Simon R. Green's and Jim Butcher's world building, I have to say this this story is probably my favorite in the whole anthology. This story focuses on one of the more fascinating (to me) characters in Green's Nightside. Dead Boy. You learn more about him, his history, why he is still walking around, and why he is one of the most fearsome of Green's characters from the Nightside. Awesome.

5 of 5 for all sorts of reasons

There Will Be Demons - Lori Handerland

I have never read any of Handerland's works. Won't go on my list. Even the good guys stab each other in the back, and the main character gets whored out by her boss? Meh.

1 out of 5 for the Skinwalker, the rest of it was boring

Cherry Kisses by Erica Hayes

Another story where the main female character has no redeeming qualities? I don't want to be her, don't want to know her, don't like her. No more Hayes for me, any more than Handerland.

1 out of 5 just because she does have chutzpah, even though I couldn't like her

The Arcane Art of Misdirection by Carrie Vaughn

This story gets points for being clever. A blackjack dealer in Las Vegas knows good and well that the person at her table is cheating, but doesn't know how. Bring in wizards, demons, and things that go bump in the night, and I had fun reading the story. I have to admit, I tried Vaughn's "Kitty" series Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, Book 1), and was deeply unimpressed. I couldn't force myself to like Kitty or her world, but this story was clever.

3.5 out of 5 for creativity of storyline ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
The Jim Butcher short was 5/5 and definitely helped as my Harry fix!

I was disappointed that the Rachel Caine story focused on Holly and Andy - she was the other author I had wanted to read.

The other stories didn't grab me and I found myself skimming pages. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another great collection of urban fantasy short stories. Those who enjoy heavy hitter authors like Jim Butcher, Simon R Green, and Ilona Andrews must pick up this book! ( )
  LinseyM | Aug 10, 2013 |

Green, Simon R.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Handeland, LoriContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayes, EricaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Chock full of paranormal hijinx, this fantastic collection will hold readers spellbound and enchant with its irresistible hex appeal in a magical world where witches and conjurers exact sweet revenge on those who cross them.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hex Appeal by P. N. Elrod was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible