Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Monument 14 (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Emmy Laybourne

345None32,469 (3.64)4
Member:DeweyEver
Title:Monument 14
Authors:Emmy Laybourne
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:Tweens, Teens, Adults, Boys, Girls, Adventure, Science Fiction, Laura Settle, 2013

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne (2012)

In medias res. That’s a fancy-pants Latin term for in the middle. Is it okay that I’m starting my book review that way—in the middle of a series? I’m thinking the answer is oh yeah because from the perspective I’m taking, it’s ooey, gooey, and delicious, like eating a luscious cinnamon roll from the center to the outside. Nothin’ but goodness, people.

Let’s start with W-O-W. From the opening pages of book one, the story kept me on my toes. First of all, it was set somewhere different—Colorado—which doesn’t seem like an earth-shattering circumstance, but seriously, I’m tired of reading about all these fabulously gorgeous teens that frolic on the coast, be it Pacific or Atlantic. This is the hard-core West, my friends, and these peeps need that stoic western strength to make it through one epic thrill ride: hail storms, earthquakes, and chemical spills, oh my! The main character, Dean, journals the story for us from start to finish as he panics, protects, and of course, crushes on the beautiful swimming goddess that happens to get trapped in a superstore along with our goofy hero and twelve other school-age kids.

And holey doughnuts, people! Rarely does a sequel--especially the middle child--live up to the hype and expectations created by the first novel. Monument 14: Sky on Fire, does that and so much more. As in BOOM! baby. And in this read, that is literal AND figurative. ( )
  ChocolitChick | Mar 9, 2014 |
Made you think about what would happen if children were on their own after a disaster. ( )
  TeamDewey | Feb 17, 2014 |
Monument 14 takes place in small town Colorado where 14 kids, ranging in ages from 5 to 16-17 find themselves trapped in a Greenway store while the world falls apart around them. On a seemingly normal day, Dean and his tech-savvy little brother Alex race to catch their school bus. On the way to school, crushing oversize hail begins denting the roof of the bus, breaking the windows, and in an effort to get the kids to safety, the two school buses quickly go to the Greenway store, which seems to be like a super Walmart. Once inside, the bus driver goes to find help and the 14 kids find themselves alone in the store as the riot gates come down essentially trapping them inside, which may be a good thing since they soon find out that a series of natural, and not-so-natural disasters are tearing the US to pieces around them. The Greenway store might be the safest place to be, unless they fall apart themselves.

The plot was pretty fast paced. It definitely kept me reading up into the wee hours of the night. The story had a sort of Lord of the Flies feel with the older kids having a power struggle about who would be in charge and how best to survive. I very much enjoyed the whole concept of the story while the execution sometimes left a little to be desired. Nonetheless, Monument 14 certainly kept me on the edge of my seat.

The story is told from the perspective of Dean, a bookish teen who is chronicling the events as they unfold. The interaction between all of the characters was fascinating. There is one particular character, a 5 or 6 year old named Max who told some of the most outlandish stories about his life. While there were a few crushes and hookups among the older teens, there wasn't any real romance in this story, although it seemed to be heading in that direction.

The writing sometimes fell a bit short for me. I felt like using the teenage Dean to narrate the story was a way to compensate for less than stellar writing. The story felt choppy in places and jumped around a bit and I would have liked to seen some more character development in the older teens. However, as you see by my 4 star rating, I truly enjoyed Monument 14 and I won't hesitate to pick up the next in the series. There was quite a cliffhanger ending and not much was resolved in this book, which is a pet peeve of mine and I considered only rating this 3 stars because of that. But I didn't simply because I really liked this book, despite its flaws.

ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |

ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
3 unless it's not a series. Then 2 - 2.5 just OK.

The ending is not an OMG moment its a "..what..come on! You can do it..no? Well darn it" kind of moment. I am left with myself scratching my head. Enjoyed the fact it was not another PA YA distopia though!

A sigh A bit predictable. Nothing extraordinary. Enjoyable yes but I wanted more exploration with Deans writing and Niko. I just don't feel like I KNOW the characters!

More in-depth possibly coming to cabingoddess.com ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
For my brother
Your moher hollers that you're going to miss the bus.

Trapped inside a chain superstore by an apocalyptic sequence of natural and human disasters, six high school kids from various popular and unpopular social groups struggle for survival while protecting a group of younger children.

66 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible