Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Monument 14 (edition 2012)

by Emmy Laybourne

Member:DeweyEver
Title:Monument 14
Authors:Emmy Laybourne
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:Tweens, Teens, Adults, Boys, Girls, Adventure, Science Fiction, Laura Settle, 2013

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Love the story, but the writing is not wonderful. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Very similar book to Charlie Higson's The Fear, with the minor difference that the reader is not quite sure whether any adults have survived the apocalypse. Dean is a senior and his brother Alex is a junior. To get to their respective schools, they catch 2 different buses and today, the two buses are following each other when a hailstorm unlike any other hits! The hail is almost metal and starts to destroy Dean's bus, killing the driver. On Alex's bus, the driver, a resourceful woman called Mrs Wooly, drives the bus straight into a huge Costco like store, unloads the children on her bus and then drives out to rescue Dean and the few surviving seniors before their bus explodes.
The 14 children and teenagers are told by Mrs Wooly to stay in the Greenway store while she goes looking for help. While there, the internet dies and the only news the Monument 14 have is from old TVs in the AV department. They discover that a volcano has erupted ( explaining the hail) and a tsunami has wiped out the East coast of the USA. Then, there is even worse news - a huge earthquake strikes and the army's chemical weapons are released into the atmosphere, with terrible consequences.
If you are a blood type O, you become super aggressive and want to kill everyone. If you are a type B, you become sterile. If you are a type A you blister and if you are a type AB you have psychosis and hallucinate.
Luckily the riot doors to the warehouse close and Alex and Niko have the presence of mind to turn off the air conditioning and seal all the exits with plastic sheeting and tape.
The 14 are then effectively trapped inside. They can't go outside and risk exposure to the chemicals, and they are not sure if help is coming.
Fascinating look at different personalities all trying to live together and hold it together despite what is happening around them. Dean has his crush on Astrid to contend with but she is dating Jake, the football star. Niko is the loner and Brayden is the bully. Josie is the comatose girl who eventually becomes a mother figure. Alex and Sahalia are the tweens - Sahalia trying to be older than she is, Alex the nerdy genius. Then there are the little kids - Dean's neighbors : twins who are 6, Baptiste - who sanctimoniously tells everyone off "That's a Sin" and Chloe - the spoilt brat who lives with her grandmother. There is also a boy who barely speaks English called Ulysses and finally my absolute favorite Max, the product of a not too healthy upbringing (think strippers, drugs, etc.) who regales everyone with hilarious tales of his life before the apocalypse.
First of a trilogy that I read in 2 days. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 13, 2016 |
This book starts off very exciting with the disaster that traps the kids in a department store. The book slows down bit at this point, but I still feel on the edge of my seat. The book is set in the near future, but it is revealed little by little. I find this kind of ANNOYING. The book is written in a stream of thought from the main character. It is very interesting. The book is hard to put down and has good pacing. The characters are relatable and likable, but the love triangle that is introduced feels forced. It is very enjoyable. ( )
  QCostello | Apr 14, 2016 |

When I first started reading this book it had a Lord of the Flies feel to it. I'm not a huge fan of that book, but glad I didn't let the feel of it in M14 dissuade me.

Emmy does a great job of showing you what is happening. Her description of the scenery is great. You feel as if you are in the hail storm at the beginning of the book. You can feel the emotions of the kids as if they are your own. There is a ton of terror since nobody knows what is going on. Considering the age difference in these kids, they do a pretty good job of working together. Some parts of life suck for them, but for the most part they get a long, and each does their job. That's something I wouldn't have thought possible. You also never really understand how resilient children are. They can surprise you with how strong they are.

There are soooo many great characters in this book. Dean is telling the story. We are seeing what happens in a journal of sorts. He's a writer, and loves books. (That makes him awesome in my book.) He does have his downfalls. He's pretty selfish at times, and sticks his foot in his mouth a lot. His brother Alex is a freaking genius. He's always able to come up with a solution to what problems they face. Niko annoyed the crap out of me. He is a brat. He can disagree with everyone, but if someone disagrees with him, he pouts and acts like a child. I understand the situation is stressful, but come on man. Max is probably my overall favorite. He's seen way too many things that his eyes shouldn't have. The great thing about him is when he talks about things he's witnessed, he doesn't really understand the events. He's definitely the funny guy in the book.

The ending is what has me jonesing for the sequel. You feel all the emotions burst from your heart in the final pages. It leads up to what could be a great story line.

While this book did have it's problems, I suggest checking it out. It's definitely worth it. I'm ready to read Sky On Fire now. :D ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
There's a lot of post disaster books out there and what makes this one worth reading is the fact that these are just kids, trying to take care of each other, cut off from adults and the world. And the disaster seems pretty plausible... ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 1, 2016 |
For my brother
Your moher hollers that you're going to miss the bus.

Trapped inside a chain superstore by an apocalyptic sequence of natural and human disasters, six high school kids from various popular and unpopular social groups struggle for survival while protecting a group of younger children.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible