Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Monument 14 (edition 2012)

by Emmy Laybourne

Member:DeweyEver
Title:Monument 14
Authors:Emmy Laybourne
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:Tweens, Teens, Adults, Boys, Girls, Adventure, Science Fiction, Laura Settle, 2013

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

This book starts off very exciting with the disaster that traps the kids in a department store. The book slows down bit at this point, but I still feel on the edge of my seat. The book is set in the near future, but it is revealed little by little. I find this kind of ANNOYING. The book is written in a stream of thought from the main character. It is very interesting. The book is hard to put down and has good pacing. The characters are relatable and likable, but the love triangle that is introduced feels forced. It is very enjoyable. ( )
  QCostello | Apr 14, 2016 |

When I first started reading this book it had a Lord of the Flies feel to it. I'm not a huge fan of that book, but glad I didn't let the feel of it in M14 dissuade me.

Emmy does a great job of showing you what is happening. Her description of the scenery is great. You feel as if you are in the hail storm at the beginning of the book. You can feel the emotions of the kids as if they are your own. There is a ton of terror since nobody knows what is going on. Considering the age difference in these kids, they do a pretty good job of working together. Some parts of life suck for them, but for the most part they get a long, and each does their job. That's something I wouldn't have thought possible. You also never really understand how resilient children are. They can surprise you with how strong they are.

There are soooo many great characters in this book. Dean is telling the story. We are seeing what happens in a journal of sorts. He's a writer, and loves books. (That makes him awesome in my book.) He does have his downfalls. He's pretty selfish at times, and sticks his foot in his mouth a lot. His brother Alex is a freaking genius. He's always able to come up with a solution to what problems they face. Niko annoyed the crap out of me. He is a brat. He can disagree with everyone, but if someone disagrees with him, he pouts and acts like a child. I understand the situation is stressful, but come on man. Max is probably my overall favorite. He's seen way too many things that his eyes shouldn't have. The great thing about him is when he talks about things he's witnessed, he doesn't really understand the events. He's definitely the funny guy in the book.

The ending is what has me jonesing for the sequel. You feel all the emotions burst from your heart in the final pages. It leads up to what could be a great story line.

While this book did have it's problems, I suggest checking it out. It's definitely worth it. I'm ready to read Sky On Fire now. :D ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
There's a lot of post disaster books out there and what makes this one worth reading is the fact that these are just kids, trying to take care of each other, cut off from adults and the world. And the disaster seems pretty plausible... ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 1, 2016 |
After a catastrophic hail storm and other global weather distasters, fourteen children and teens find themselves trapped in a department store. A biological agent is released in the air causing people with different blood types to have different physical/mental reactions: blisters, violent mood swings, hallucinations. However, this story isn't about what is happening outside, it is about the group dynamic of those surving inside. They have the materials they need at hand and realize they have to fortifiy their location. The main character Dean is a good narrator as we watch events unfold. The teens help the little children survive, some teens are more nurturing then others. This was a good YA apocalyptic story. I will most likely look for the sequel. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
For my brother
Your moher hollers that you're going to miss the bus.

Trapped inside a chain superstore by an apocalyptic sequence of natural and human disasters, six high school kids from various popular and unpopular social groups struggle for survival while protecting a group of younger children.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,856,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible