The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Zac Brewer

The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound

by Zac Brewer

I had some issues with this book, but I wound up really enjoying it and looking forward to the sequel. Kaya is a Healer who is forced into a boarding school for Healers and Barrons. Every Healer is soulbound/bound to a Barron. Healers are subservient and must assist their Barron in battle. Kaya, having grown up with two Barrons as parents wants to learn to fight, but that is against protocol. There are monsters somehow getting into their school and Kaya wants to protect herself.

The storyline and love triangle are a tad predictable, but there are some surprises that make it worth reading. I wanted the story to be more high fantasy, rather than this weird mix of high school drama and fantasy. I thought the made up language that only applied to cursing was weird. I'd rather the made up language appear in other situations to really make the world believable. Overall the book is a page tuner that I finished quickly. I will probably read the sequel, Soulbroken when it comes out next year. ( )

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Nice premise, but ultimately a bit disappointing. World building is thin. Too many contradictions such as the fact that Kaya has sparred with her father, but has no idea how to even hold a Katana. Or that the dangerous "outer rim" turns out to be merely a day's walk from the school. Sympathy for Kaya declines as she is blatantly disrespectful to those in authority, and at times, wears that disrespect as a badge of honor. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
So much potential wasted with this YA fantasy, ladies and gents! It's my first contact with Heather Brewer and I am glad this book was gifted, otherwise I'd be pissed off spending all this money on the hardback with such little to show between the pages. Great ideas, reminded me a bit of Leigh Bardugo, intriguing characters, but the execution is haphazard and so full of plot holes that I ended up being mostly annoyed instead of entertained. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
For my daughter, Alexandria-one of the strongest girls I know.
The sharp edge of the paper sliced into my thumb and I sat up with a jerk. "Fak!"

A brand-new fantasy with a kick-butt heroine from the author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod

Tril is a world where Barrons and Healers are Bound to each other: Barrons fight and Healers cure their Barrons' wounds in the ongoing war with the evil Graplar King. Seventeen-year-old Kaya was born a Healer, but she wants to fight. In Tril, and at Shadow Academy, where she is sent to learn to heal, it is against Protocol for Healers to fight. So Kaya must learn in secret. Enter two young men: One charming, rule-following Barron who becomes Bound to Kaya and whose life she must protect at all costs. And one with a mysterious past who seems bent on making Kaya's life as difficult as possible. Kaya asks both to train her, but only one will, and the consequences will change their lives forever.

Heather Brewer has created a thrilling, action-packed, and romantic first installment of the Legacy of Tril series, where one strong heroine must break the rules to claim her destiny and her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Kaya, a Healer who wants to learn to fight, must attend Shadow Academy where fighting by Healers is outlawed, and so she asks two young men to train her in secret, leading to a choice that will change their lives forever.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Zac Brewer's book Soulbound was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,351,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible