Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Soulbound by Heather Brewer

Soulbound

by Heather Brewer

Series: Legacy of Tril (book 1)

2044397,863 (3.67)8
Seventeen-year-old Kaya, a Healer who wants to learn to fight, must attend Shadow Academy where fighting by Healers is outlawed, and so she asks two young men to train her in secret, leading to a choice that will change their lives forever.
Member:ccooney
Title:Soulbound
Authors:Heather Brewer
Info:Dial Books (2012), Paperback, Advanced reading copy
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Early Reviewer, Young Adult, Read 2012, ARC

The Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Zac Brewer

I'd wanted to read this for about three years, and now, I'm in limbo for the sequel. ARAGH!!!!!! I enjoyed the heck out of this fantasy, need it in my library, and know several of my students who would love it, too. The heroine is strong, feisty, not in it for love, but family. If love comes, she's not opposed to it, but it's certainly not her mission. Fak, is their favorite curse word, making me think of the new Battle Star Galatica. Lots of world building and frustrating society rules that need changing. Love Heather Brewer, wonder if she'd consider self publishing the sequel? ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
This book showed promise, but it desperately needed a better editor. There were sections where the characters just rambled and several grammatical errors throughout.

The societal norms present in this book were quite aggravating and annoyed me to no end. Why the hell would you send out people with ZERO training to fight in battles? Especially since you claim that those lives are valuable. I applaud Kaya for fighting against that.

That brings me to point number two about this book: Kaya. I liked her for the most part, but holy hell she was annoying at times. mouthing off to everyone and turning to yelling almost immediately when arguing.

The idea of the bond between Healers and Barrons is rather interesting and made me decide to carry on with the series, especially after seeing that ending scene. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I had some issues with this book, but I wound up really enjoying it and looking forward to the sequel. Kaya is a Healer who is forced into a boarding school for Healers and Barrons. Every Healer is soulbound/bound to a Barron. Healers are subservient and must assist their Barron in battle. Kaya, having grown up with two Barrons as parents wants to learn to fight, but that is against protocol. There are monsters somehow getting into their school and Kaya wants to protect herself.

The storyline and love triangle are a tad predictable, but there are some surprises that make it worth reading. I wanted the story to be more high fantasy, rather than this weird mix of high school drama and fantasy. I thought the made up language that only applied to cursing was weird. I'd rather the made up language appear in other situations to really make the world believable. Overall the book is a page tuner that I finished quickly. I will probably read the sequel, Soulbroken when it comes out next year. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For my daughter, Alexandria-one of the strongest girls I know.
The sharp edge of the paper sliced into my thumb and I sat up with a jerk. "Fak!"

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Zac Brewer's book Soulbound was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,615,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible