Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro…

Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis

by Harold Davis

This book is wonderful, even if you don't want to photograph flowers, you will love it! The color photos are extraordinary. Even if you just enjoy the fragility of flowers, admire the individuality of home grown ones, or am amazed at their perfection.

The entire book is a treasure. I am getting to the review later than I planned in doing because I could not refrain from studying the gorgeous colors, shapes and sometimes rhythm of the flowers photo.

It so easy to tell that Harold Davis is passionate about photographing flowers Besides the pictures that you would like to study for hours, he tells you everything that you need to learn about photographing flowers. He gives clear and valuable advice on what kind of lens to use, depending on what your purpose is. With knowing that, planning out the photo and picking lighting that enhances the picture, filters to show what you want to concentrate on and the amount of exposure, you can confidently try out photographing flowers. He even shows how he sets up his light box set and recommends the best material for backgrounds for indoor shots.

You would think that a book written by a master artist of a photographer would tend to intimidate you but instead it encourages you! He adds little bits about the history of the different flowers in the book and entertains you with his personal experiences. With this book, I understand how to do the things that I want to try; I appreciate the history of flowers even more and have more information about what to look for when buying photographic equipment.

I doubt that anyone could have written a better book. I recommend it to people even if they just enjoy looking at flowers, much less than photographing them.

I received this book as a part of the Amazon Vine program but that in no way influence my thoughts or feelings in this review. ( )
  Carolee888 | Dec 7, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0240820738, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: A Letter from Harold Davis, Author of Photographing Flowers

Harold Davis

Dear Amazon Readers:

I love flowers, and I have always been passionate about photographing them. Flowers are uniquely beautiful, wonderfully colorful, and exhibit an elegance of line with a grace and style that is unique.

My house is certainly no Giverny, but like Claude Monet and other artists such as the expressionist Emil Nolde, I grow flowers and use them in my work. I’m also okay with photographing flowers from the supermarket. I sometimes quip that one good thing about photographing flowers is that you don’t need to get them to sign a model release.

As someone whose professional work includes shooting beautiful women and exotic landscapes, I can tell you that there is nothing I’d rather photograph than flowers. So, first, and foremost, Photographing Flowers is a collection of my best floral photography. But it is also a technique book. In my book, I show you how I go about capturing flowers, starting with ideas and conception, and continuing through to the digital photography itself. I’ll also show you the techniques I use to post-process and finish my flower photos in the digital darkroom.

Want to know more about macro lenses and how to use them? Then this is the book for you. Along the way I explain some important points about flower botany, and how flower sexuality works. You’ve heard of “the birds and bees, flowers and trees,” right? Well, from the photographer’s viewpoint, it’s a little different than you might think!

Photographing Flowers also includes the specifics of many of my special photographic techniques, including rendering flowers for translucency using a lightbox, and photographing on a dark, velvet background. In the digital darkroom, I’ll show you how to create monochromatic flower images, and how to make photos of flowers that look as if they might have been painted by Georgia O’Keeffe or Vincent van Gogh.

I truly hope you enjoy Photographing Flowers as much as I’ve enjoyed creating it.

Best wishes in photography,

Harold Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:47 -0400)

"This book is about flower photographic techniques using a macro lens"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible