Cornerstone (Cornerstone, #1) by Misty…

Cornerstone (Cornerstone, #1)

by Misty Provencher

I am enjoying this book a great deal. About 1/2 done! Libertarians might take exception, there are some digs. Those digs might be unintentional?
  SAGibson | Jun 17, 2015 |
This book starts out with Nalena walking home from school after a stop at the office supply store. She stops to pick up 3 reams of paper from her mother. For some strange reason her mother writes but never finishes anything she started. She writes little bits of information that have no relevance or understand to anyone but her. Here is a little bit of information from the book:

“Christos DelMinos, 14, stabbed, instead of his 3 year old niece; Martin Fowler, 24, returned the money he’d stolen but not all of it; Linda Hayes, 63, invited depressed neighbor in for long talk.”

Well maybe someone understand what Evangeline, Nalenas mother, is writing but Nalena does not. Or at least during the beginning she does not understand.

Nalena is called The Waste at school. At one time a so-called friend dropped by to see her and saw all the paper stacked in the duplex and assumed wrong. But we all know what happens when we assume something. Then a cranky old over-worked social worker thinks that Evangeline is not carrying out her parental responsibility in being a parent to Nalena. It seems like Nalena is just a lone out cast that no one wants anything to do with.

Nalena goes to the library after her bologna sandwich supper. While she is studying one of the popular guys at school comes over to sit at the table she is studying at. Of course Nalena is suspicious of him and wonders what he wants. Well for that information you need to read the book. Okay now I have to stop telling you about the book. If I keep writing I will give away the whole plot and then it would not be any fun to read the book.

This book is a great young adult read. The author catches the readers attention with the first page. Then the plot, oh wow. The plot is just so intriguing. It will grab your attention and keep you guessing on what is happening next.

While I will admit I do not normally read YA books this one is a great read for anyone. This book is the first in a series. The second book is titles Keystone. I do not know much about the second book in this series but I do know is that I will be looking forward to the release.

Thanks for a great read Misty. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
Dubbed “The Waste” by her peers, because of her mother’s compulsive paper hoarding, Nali Maxwell goes through the motions of life… She desperately wants her mother to finish just ONE book, and maybe they can quit living in and round stacks of paper.

“In our house, no one notices the tiny square of clean wood floor where we kick off our shoes. That little patch is lost in the blinding avalanche of white paper that hides the rest of the house. Heaps of it fill every inch of our living room, an efficient blizzard of orderly, white stacks. My mother’s teeny tiny scrawl covers every inch of every sheet…”

*gasp*

Right? Can you imagine?

Nali escapes her life by passing time at the library… Reading, doing homework- she has a nice little sanctuary where no one bothers her, or calls her names.

Until Garrett Reese sits down next to her.

When Garrett takes notice of her, that’s when everything fall’s apart- or comes together… however you want to see it! Jen, his wanna-be girlfriend freaks out… Nali gets ATTACKED by some crazy guy in the woods, wearing a mask, and talking gibberish! (You’ll never guess who it is!!)

Garrett doesn’t care about the nasty things people say about Nali, he doesn’t care that her mother hoards paper filled with one line plot plans. He only cares about her. Awwwww!!!!!

Choices…. Contego, Addo, The Fury and forgotten memories… Are only SOME of the things you’ll find in Cornerstone! The passion, heat and fire of two halves made whole is what sets this book apart!

Misty Provencher totally blew me away! Cornerstone has it all- sizzling hot romance, tragic pasts and family secrets. You DO NOT want to miss this amazing start to what promises to be a fantastic series! ( )
  BookishBrunette | Dec 5, 2012 |
Cornerstone came to my attention last month after my blogger friend Candace, of Candace's Book Blog, wrote an awesome review and professed her love. So when I got an email from author Misty Provencher, inviting me to participate in her upcoming blog tour of the book, I was thrilled to say the least. Misty sent me a copy of the book (thanks again, Misty!) and the verdict? I enjoyed the heck out of it as well!

I'll admit that when I first read Candace's review and the synopsis of Cornerstone, the idea of reading about a hoarder kind of creeped me out. I blame it on that television show. Nalena's mother Evangeline is constantly writing pages of incoherent sentences that Nalena suspects are ideas for stories she can never finish. And that's all she does. All day and night she writes, filling page after page that she will not allow Nalena to throw away. This translates to an accumulation of massive amounts of paper. Nalena vividly describes the state of the home she shares with her mom as having towers of paper with walkways tunneled through. She explains that the paper literally "took over" their old house, forcing them to move. The way Provencher chronicles Nali and her mother's existence is so disheartening and depressing. I can totally relate to the helplessness that Nalena feels when it comes to her mother and her struggle with wanting a normal life. Wishing she could reinvent herself, but at the same time feeling fiercely protective of her mom and knowing she is the only one who can look after her.

As a result of her mother's "hoarding," Nalena is ridiculed and completely shunned at school. She has no real friends to speak of, she can't ever invite anyone over to her home, and boyfriends? By all accounts she's a pretty girl, but with a nickname like 'The Waste', boyfriends aren't lining up. To say that Nali has a problem with self confidence would be a huge understatement. Now, I have to say that one of my pet peeves and turn offs is the 'simpering female' lead, and not just the ones that are always in need of rescuing, but also those that seem to lack any confidence and even the most elementary social skills. Come on. You know the type I am talking about. I much prefer the strong, kick-butt female persona or even the redeemed "bad girl" type. But in this case I completely understand the reason Nalena lacks confidence. Because of her predicament, I was willing to cut Nali some slack .

When school heart throb Garrett comes along it's easy to understand why Nalena would never think he could be interested in her. But he does seem interested and even better, he doesn't seem to care about Nali's reputation. I like the character of Garret, he's mysterious and has a lot going on just under the surface. I can totally see the attraction. And speaking of that, hey, what do you know! There is no insta-love to speak of in Cornerstone! Insta-attraction, yes, but that's cool. That's human nature. And lots of teenage hormones:)

It's so hard to get detailed here without spoiling the story but let's just say there is a bit of a secret society type vibe going on and Nali, her mother, as well as Garrett and his family, are all involved in it.
What I can say is it's an original story that almost falls into the realm of urban fantasy, in that there is another world hidden out there, functioning beneath our own and Nali has a role to play in it.

Sorry to be so mysterious! I would LOVE to go into further details and I can't wait for the sequel, Keystone, to release so I can gab away because it's so very cool and I am all about it, believe me! (Or you can go read the book then email me so we can talk it all over together!!)

I also want to commend the writing in this book. Provencher's voice flows smoothly and I love how her depiction of a teenage girl sounds like a teenage girl! Authentic character voices score major points with me! I like how she builds up to revealing aspects of her plot, letting the reader ride out the suspense. And for those of you who have trepidations about self published books, let me assure you, you would never know that this book wasn't put out by one of the big name publishing houses. I'm no English Grammar teacher, but there were absolutely no blaring typos or editing issues that I could see. Zippo. Zilch. Nada.

This book scores well with me, but it didn't score a perfect 5 out 5 stars for a couple of reasons. First, I think Garrett and Nalena definitely have chemistry, and I can't wait to see what evolves with their relationship next, but I want more fleshing out of their characters. I want more insight into what makes each of them tick, and what they see in each other as a result. Most importantly I want to see Nalena develop into the kick ass heroine that I know she can be. I want to see her build her confidence and I want her to stand firm in her decisions and not waffle back and forth.

Secondly, I want more backstory. And I'm interested to see who the real villains in this story will turn out to be. At present, the bad guys are sort of blurry and hazy in definition and description. I want to see some terrible villains doing dastardly things and Nalena, Garrett, and the rest fighting them tooth and nail to save the world!!! Now, that's not too much to ask is it? :) And I have every confidence that Misty Provencher is going to bring it as this series continues.

In summation, Cornerstone is a strong start to an intriguing new young adult series. Fans of secret societies and urban fantasy looking for a unique story with equal amounts of action and toe tingling romance definitely should pick up Cornerstone and give it a shot! I don't think you'll be disappointed:) ( )
  FlyleafHeather | May 3, 2012 |
Cornerstone: 4 out of 5 stars:

Misty Provencher has outdone herself with "Cornerstone", the tale of Nalena Maxwell. Nalena and her mother, Evangeline, live a life separated from others. Evangeline's obsession with writing stories- and never finishing them- causes an ever-growing pile of papers to overflow their house. Nalena grows more and more isolated from her peers until she meets Garrett.

He reaches out to her, befriending her and saving her life when she is attacked and nearly killed. From that point on everything in her life starts to change as she develops abilities that she doesn't understand and has no idea how to control. Everything culminates with the need for Nalena to choose her path: to make the choice whether she will live the Simple Life- or take the path that leads to inevitable danger.

I highly recommend this book. It was given freely as a gift on Misty Provencher's blog to all of her dedicated readers. Her book Cornerstone was an excellent read and she is now one of my new favorite authors. Cornerstone made me laugh and cry and I'm definetly looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  K.W.McCabe | Dec 3, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible