Murder at the Ocean Forest by ROBERT…

Murder at the Ocean Forest

by ROBERT 'DIGGER'' CARTWRIGHT

2011515,329 (3.35)2

I received this book as part of a member giveaway. I love murder mysteries set around this time period, the 1930's, and i thought the author did a good job at introducing the characters and setting. The plot is not original, but because of the author's detailed descriptions and use of settings and people of this time period, it held my interest. The book moves very slowly, so if you are wanting a quick murder mystery, don't reach for this book. I really liked the attempt by the author to describe details of setting and characters, although sometimes I felt the descriptions of the characters did not make sense, and seemed contradictory and did not aid in making the characters complex, but instead just created confusion as to what the character is like. the biggest problem I had with this book, was the author's writing style. The author writes with very long, convoluted sentences. I had to reread sentences many times to keep clear in my mind what the sentence was describing, which detracted from the flow of the story. I fell that this book could be a good addition to the genre if it had some serious editing. ( )
  calicocat901 | Jun 28, 2014 |
Murder at The Ocean Forest by Robert “Digger” Cartwright was a puzzle to begin with. I had just read The Ocean Forest, a book by Troy Nooe, about a murder at the same Ocean Forest. I must admit I was somewhat confused by the two recently published books with the same story line. I live in the area and had visited the Ocean Forest before it’s destruction in the 70’s. I always have an interest in local history and I was attracted to both books for that reason. As a local resident of Myrtle Beach I enjoyed the detail about the hotel and area, but I think the average reader is going to be slowed by all the area detail, characters, hotel description, etc. It took about half the book to have the “crime” committed. I guess I want a mystery to “catch” me early on and keep my attention throughout the book. I appreciate the opportunity to read the ebook, but feel three stars is all I can give. ( )
  coker74 | Jan 27, 2013 |
I received this book free from Library Thing to read and review. Initially, I welcomed this book because I truly enjoy mysteries. However, as I read further and further into the book, I wondered when the mystery would start. The author describes just about everything in great detail, the characters, the hotel, the setting, their actions, etc. I wondered what his true intent was here. If it was to provide a good mystery, he definitely could have skipped a lot of the details because they didn't add that much to the story and bogged the reader down. The murder doesn't even occur until the book is half way through and even then the author continues to get caught up in all sorts of details that are not really pertinent to the murder. The main characters, a young couple who probably should not have even married, alternate between being people you would like to meet and spend time with and people you would prefer to hate and leave alone. The rest of the characters are equally both agreeable and hateful. The plot is good but is overshadowed by the minutia they author presents while setting and developing the scene. As the hotel detective delves into the murders to try to solve them, the author continues with details that are again interesting but not really germane or all that important. As I read the book, I wondered why he spent so much time on with these details. I guess a good editor would have pointed out how much they dragged on what is actually a good plot, encouraging the author to follow in the footsteps of other well known writers and write a more succinct story. If you want to really get a feel for the low country during the WWII era, this mystery will provide it for you. If you prefer not to get bogged down in a lot of detail but like a good, clean mystery, I suggest you pass on this one. ( )
  KMT01 | Jan 17, 2013 |
Murder at the Ocean Forest by Robert “Digger” Cartwright
Definitely a full length novel at 373 pages and intrigue all the way. Getting acquainted with the characters and the setting of the “scene” takes up the first 2-3 chapters and at first I found it difficult to get into the book because I don’t normally like long descriptions, however, that soon changed. I found the book very entertaining, gripping even, once I had the personalities identified and placed, and in fact hard to put down once I really got into it. The main characters pulled you in and kept you wondering; through twists and turns and just when you thought you knew what was going to happen, or who was responsible, you get side-swiped and left with clues leading in a totally different direction. I was hooked once the train arrived and the passengers arrived at the “Ocean Forest”, a resort for the “well-to-do” during the war and for those wanting to recuperate or just get away. Ulterior motives and vengeance play a large part and the author has you sitting on the edge of your “proverbial” seat until the end. The weaving of the characters’ lives together to reach the ultimate result and murder is very skilful. Set in South Carolina, America, the author portrays the etiquette and style of dress of the time so clearly, that the characters seem so real, almost as if you were actually watching them. Add a bit of mystery with a blind psychic and you have a really gripping and intriguing story. The book could use some more editing but it does not detract from the story in any way and some of it could be the use of local dialect and just my interpretations. I did enjoy the book immensely and I thank the author for the privilege of receiving a copy for review. I haven’t read any other works by the author but I will definitely keep an eye out for more. Highly recommended suspense-crime in my view. ( )
  Raevon | Jan 6, 2013 |
MURDER AT THE OCEAN FOREST, set in the low-country of South Caroina during the early 1940s, presents a plethora of murder suspects. Re-creating small town characters who work in a post hotel in Myrtle Beach, this title is, among other things, a novel of manners. It describes the life style of those natives still blessed by family wealth (i. e. the children of plantation owner parents/grandparents) and of the other guests, often Europeans, who vacation at the Ocean Forest. Watched, evaluated, and even 'set up' by the hotel's resident security detective, each character appears to have motive and to be capable of murder. A disgruntled American couple, a blind telepath, an English general and his very proper lady, a southern preacher who illegally transports liquors - each are under suspicion as the murders mount. But, perhaps, the murderer is none of these people but is, instead, the 'Gray Man,' a familiar ghost who haunts the Ocean Forest and its environs.
  acaciaoak | Dec 6, 2012 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

ROBERT 'DIGGER'' CARTWRIGHT's book Murder At The Ocean Forest was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,648,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible