Air (Elemental, #2) by Shauna Granger

Air (Elemental, #2)

by Shauna Granger

After a run-in with a demon last year, Shayna and her two best friends are excited to get ready for a relaxing rest of the year. Shayna's main goal is to learn to control her powers over the element of earth. Of course, things are never that easy. Shayna, Jodi, and Steven see someone they know get humiliated by him own brother in front of an open mic crowd. Things get very strange after that though as they discover that this boy has a group of fairy-like creatures working for him. These "fairies" are unlike any Shayna has ever seen though. Soon Shayna herself is in trouble, and the boy will stop at nothing to get back not only at those he has been hurt by but Shayna's loved ones as well. Shayna, Jodi, and Steven will have to pull out some impressive magic to get out of this.

I was excited to read this book after having read the first book of the series, and I was not disappointed. Air continued the adventures of Shayna and her friends in a fun way. I loved that the plot was so different though from the first book. Instead of dark demons we have evil fairies. No really, it was awesome. There is a lot of fairy-lore in the book, which I really enjoyed. Jodi and Steven continued to be some of the best sidekicks and friends a girl could ask for. If there was anything that bothered me, it was Shayna (especially as she dealt with Jensen). I just felt like she was really focused on herself and didn't give Jensen a chance to adjust to what was going on. That was really just a tiny thing though.

While this book is the second in the series, it certainly stands on its own very well. I found the plot to be very interesting. There were even a few surprises. All the characters were give a chance to grow in both personality and in their powers. Once again, the combination of supernatural with the natural elements helped to give this book a sense of reality to the magic. It's a different approach that works very well. If you read the first book, this book will be just as fun for you. If you haven't read the first book, then don't worry. With a great combination of magic and elements, this book will be sure to entertain.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Jan 18, 2012 |
What a great story. Friendship and Magic with a little romance thrown in.
Shayna, Jodi and Steven are learning to use their elemental powers. Shayna (Terra) Earth mother, Jodi (Fae) air power and Steven (Drake) fire power. Fairy creatures are part of this story! Both good and bad fairies. The story centers around Jeremy, a disturbed boy who is attached to 'faeries'. They create all kinds of problems with an already volatile character.
The characters in this book are strong and loyal.
My laugh out loud moment from this book
"Deb's Jedi mind trick convinced him I wasn't the droid he was looking for"
Cool, huh?
I would not recommend this book for YA under the age of 16 due to some of the content, but if you are over 16- go for it- read this book.

flag ( )
  ljldml | Dec 13, 2011 |
The coven of three is back together facing a new threat. A troubled young man starts to create havoc with an unfamiliar "fairy". It is up to Shayna, Steven, and Jodi to work together and help him work through or conquer the problems that got him in the mess he is in. Those are the plans, but plans don't always work the way you want them to.

I love stories using elemental powers, fairy creatures, and strong characters. This book definitely have those characteristics.

This is a great fantasy book. I would recommend it to readers over 16 due to some of the content. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Dec 3, 2011 |

Shauna Granger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,103,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible