The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab by…

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab (2005)

by Gideon Defoe

Series: The Pirates! (2)

Read this book aloud on car trips to Jefferson and Andrew. I thought most of it was over Jefferson's head (well, a lot of the humor really was), but then when we finally finished the book, Jefferson kept asking about it. We started reading another book in this series, but misplaced it not long ago. Time to go on a hunt so we can see how it ends! ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Another great book! A group of pirates encounter the Beagle and Darwin, and from there they deviate from history in a hilarious adventure. The characters are wonderfully odd, Defoe has a great sense of humor. This is a must read for anyone!! ( )
  Nodosaurus | Apr 25, 2017 |
A very silly book about the Pirate Captain and his crew attempting to raise 6000 Doubloons to pay off their debts. After many failed plans they eventually settle on claiming the bounty Ahab has put on the whale. I enjoyed the mix of historical detail with the ridiculous. I have never read Moby Dick so no doubt a lot of the references went over my head, but I thoroughly enjoyed this easy read. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jan 13, 2017 |
Sequel to The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists. This time, the pirates buy a fancy new ship on credit, then try to come up with some schemes to earn the money before they're dismembered for non-payment. Also, they keep encountering Ahab.

It's all utterly silly, and a little bit surreal. But fun. I will say that I don't think I found it quite as charming or as consistently funny as the first one, maybe just because it caught me less by surprise. But every time I started to think maybe it was a bit more dumb than hilarious, or to get tired of the weird running joke about hams, there would be a pirate rap battle, or something equally delightful, and I would be all on board again (so to speak). Hey, sometimes this kind of ridiculousness is exactly what you need. ( )
  bragan | Nov 10, 2016 |
"'It's not going too well, is it, Pirate Captain?' said the scarf-wearing pirate, staring at the conspicuously whaleless sea. 'I'm worried that perhaps this whaling business is a little more difficult than we thought. Possibly that's why Ahab said he'd been chasing the whale for years.'"

This review really boils down to a very simple message. IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ONE OF THESE BOOKS YET JUST GET ON WITH IT ALREADY. Because they're funny and cheerful and warm and just a little bit naughty, and if you don't try one you'll never know if the humour clicks with yours or not. If nothing else, you'll learn something from the helpful trivia footnotes (for example, this time I learned the origins of the phrase "freezing the balls off a brass monkey"...). Soooo, go hit the library or something.

In this second installment of the series (I've read An Adventure with Scientists (1) and An Adventure with Communists (3) already), the pirates buy a beautiful new boat from Cutlass Liz (who is AWESOME by the way) and spend the rest of the book trying to work out how to pay her off before their time runs out and she kills them horribly. All your favourite elements are in there - the Pirate Captain's beard and pleasant, open face, the long-suffering pirate with a scarf, the Pirate Captain's charming nemesis Black Bellamy and some ship's biscuits (bourbons preferable). Throw in a chance encounter with grizzly old Ahab, a prize ham, a randy whale, a casino, a lesbian albatross, a sexy figurehead and a compelling yet moving one-man show and you've got... well, just another Pirates! adventure, really. The perfect way to while away an idle afternoon and put a mischievous grin on your face! Oh, and don't worry if you haven't read Moby Dick - I haven't either, but so long as you know the absolute basics (y'know, whale, sea captain, Pequod, long rambling discourses about whaling) you'll be just fine. :)

BONUS POINTS - for this: "I wanted to tell you one thing - Pirate Captain, you were always my favourite pupil. Certainly you were much better than the others in your class, whom I regarded merely as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal." ONE OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME.

EXTRA BONUS POINTS - for the little extras Defoe always includes at the back of the book. This time there's some handy information about whale conservation, Nantucket and debt ("Like the Pirate Captain, more people than ever are getting into serious debt, with the accompanying risks of depression, worry and not being able to buy things that you want"). He rounds off the whole thing with an exhaustive list of non-existent (but they totally should!) Pirates! titles, including The Pirates! In an Adventure with Risk Management, The Pirates and the Edge of Reason, The Pirates! Learn German in Five Easy Lessons and The Pirates! In an Adventure with Shaft. ( )
  elliepotten | Sep 21, 2013 |

Gideon Defoeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Senior, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sophie,

who still has a quarter of a million pounds
of which I have not seen a single penny,
even though this is the
second entire book
that I have dedicated to her.
'That one looks almost exactly like a whale!'

They’re back!!! The Pirate Captain and his irascible crew of scoundrels return in their soggiest saga yet.Fresh from their mishaps with Charles Darwin and the evil Bishop of Oxford, the Pirates set sail in a bouncy new vessel——purchased on credit. In order to repay his debts, the Pirate Captain is determined to capture the enigmatic White Whale, hunted by the notoriously moody Ahab, who has promised a reward.Chaos ensues, featuring the lascivious Cutlass Liz, the world’s most dangerous mosquito, an excerpt from the Pirate Captain’s novel in progress (a bodice ripper, of course), whale ventriloquism, practical lessons in whale painting, a shanty-singing contest in a Las Vegas casino, and a dra-matic climax in which the Pirate Captain’s prize ham saves the day!Move over, Herman Melville.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

They're back!!! The Pirate Captain and his irascible crew of scoundrels return in their soggiest saga yet. Fresh from their mishaps with Charles Darwin and the evil Bishop of Oxford, the Pirates set sail in a bouncy new vessel -- purchased on credit. In order to repay his debts, the Pirate Captain is determined to capture the enigmatic White Whale, hunted by the notoriously moody Ahab, who has promised a reward. Chaos ensues, featuring the lascivious Cutlass Liz, the world's most dangerous mosquito, an excerpt from the Pirate Captain's novel in progress (a bodice ripper, of course), whale ventriloquism, practical lessons in whale painting, a shanty-singing contest in a Las Vegas casino, and a dra-matic climax in which the Pirate Captain's prize ham saves the day!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,426,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible