Under the Moon by Natalie J. Damschroder

Summary from Goodreads:

"Quinn Caldwell is the epitome of a modern goddess. Her power source is the moon, her abilities restricted only by physical resources and lunar phase. She runs a consulting business and her father's bar, serves on the board of the ancient Society for Goddess Education and Defense, and yearns for Nick Jarrett, professional goddess protector and the soul mate she can never have.

But someone has developed the rare and difficult ability to drain a goddess of her powers, and Quinn is a target. With the world thinking Nick has gone rogue (whatever that means) and that Quinn is influenced by "family ties" she didn't know she had, keeping themselves safe while working to find the enemy proves harder each day."

My Thoughts:

Under the Moon is the beginning to a new paranormal romance series featuring goddesses and their protectors. Quinn is a goddess who derives her powers and abilities from the moon. It gives her great abilities during the full moon when her powers are the strongest and leaves her almost completely normal afterwards. I found this to be an interesting concept as it left Quinn very vulnerable at times. One of the things that was really unique about this book was the idea of goddesses and the fact that the goddesses got their powers from different things. Rain, oceans, and crystals were just some of the things that the different goddesses used to enhance their abilities. The book itself was very interesting as Quinn finds herself caught up in a mystery where her fellow goddesses are being drained of their powers. She soon comes to realize that the "leech" has something to do with her and the family that she knows little about. This made for an interesting storyline, and I found myself immersed in the mystery that was surrounding Quinn. Plus, there was a nice little chemistry going on between Nick and Quinn that really added to the book in my opinion. The only problem that I had was that I think I expected a little more focus on the romance. Instead, I found the book to be more plot oriented which worked out fine in the end once I adjusted my expectations. I also didn't entirely care for the triangle that was present between Sam, Quinn, and Nick. But I have a feeling that Sam may show up in later books which would be a good thing :)

All in all, I found this to be a good read with lots of potential! I'm looking forward to reading more in this series in the future. This was my first read on my Kindle Fire and it was a great experience (although I do think I will always prefer an actual book). Recommended to fans of paranormal romance!

Bottom Line: An interesting beginning to a new series....

Disclosure: I read this book on my Kindle courtesy of Netgalley and the publisher. ( )
  samantha.1020 | Jan 13, 2012 |
I have to start out by saying that the cover of UNDER THE MOON does NOT in any way match the story. There is not one motorcycle/motorcycle rider in the whole book and I just don't get why they have someone on one on the cover. Makes no sense.

UNDER THE MOON was a page turner with some nice twist and turns. Quinn was easy to like and the supporting characters brought a great cast to the story. Sam, Quinn's assistant is in love with Quinn and she keeps him at arms length because she is in love with Nick but Sam is still there for her throughout all the conflict and danger as a friend. Nick is Quinn's Protector. He has always loved her but refuses to have a relationship with her because he's her protector. The sexual tension between Quinn and Nick was high. They both want each other but Nick just wont give in for most of the book. When he finally does the scenes between them are HOT.

The world building was full of great explanations and imaginative powers. I loved the whole Goddess storyline. I liked meeting the different goddesses and hearing about what they could do. The action was not lacking. There were plenty of scenes that had my heart beating and had me wondering how the trio would get out of a particular situation.The ending wraps everything up nicely and I'm looking forward to reading what comes next. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jan 12, 2012 |
I was a bit apprehensive at reading this book at first but now I'm glad I did. The goddess concept is starting to trickle into literature now but it hasn't really taken off. I think it's such a hard thing to do correctly to turn it into a great read. However, I'm very happy I read this. It was such a great book.There were a few concepts that were a little strange to me, but otherwise, I think the aspect of women having goddess powers and being able to do supernatural things was amazing. The things the women could do were pretty cool. I liked that each woman had their own power source even if they were a tad identical, they all had different ways to tapping into their individual power and the ways they used their powers. There was a good mix of action and and downtime where the characters were racing to find out what happened to each individual goddess, and how each character fit into their own place within the plot. Also, things weren't just handed away like they are in so many other stories. You were given a chance to figure it out on your own with the characters. As the characters were lead one way, you were lead that way, believing it could be one person when a chapter later you were presented with another aspect that had you believing it was someone else. It was not predictable which is very refreshing! If you're looking for a good read, that has romance but is more than romance this is the book for you! Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to review this book. ( )
  highflyer | Jan 3, 2012 |
  highflyer | Jan 3, 2012 |
Quinn Caldwell has always enjoyed running the Under The Moon bar she'd inherited from her parents when they unexpectedly died several years ago. Yet hers is not the usual bar normal people would patron. You see, she's a goddess - one who's affinity is tied to the moon. The bar is a haven for goddesses and their protectorates whenever they're in the area.

In addition to the bar, she runs a consulting business who's sole purpose is to help out women who find themselves in a bit of a bind and are in need of a helping hand. She's spent quite a bit of time establishing her business and asserting herself as the goddess she is, living openly amongst the human world. Yet never once did she imagine it would have consequences.

When her protectorate, Nick Jarrett, shows up on her doorstep with no clear explanation and ahead of schedule, she tries to make sense of the situation. Her apprehension grows further still when he explains that there's someone draining goddesses of their powers and that she may be a target.

Banding together with her assistant, Sam, the three try to grasp the enormity of the situation while trying to keep themselves safe from harm. As they embark on a quest for answers, Quinn soon discovers she now has further familial ties that bind. Ties that have been kept from her from the very beginning as she realizes there's more to the Society than meets the eye.

Battling her attraction for Nick while trying to keep Sam at arms length, Quinn knows it's only a matter of time before she gives in to the demands inside of herself. She uses every ounce of her willpower to keep her urges at bay while hating the fact that she can't give in to what her body wants.

As the trio dodges danger at every turn, they know it's only a matter of time before the leech finds exactly what he's looking for. Intent on thwarting his every step, they refuse to allow another goddess to be hurt in the process. Survival is the key in staying one step ahead in hopes of bringing down the man whose main goal is to destroy each and every goddess he comes across.

This book was an awesome read. I was hooked from the moment I started reading. The feelings running rampant between Nick, Sam, and Quinn was palpable with every turn of the page. There were quite a few twists and very unexpected turns that lent even more flame to the fire already burning between the trio.

Natalie did a brilliant job in establishing each character and the world they live in. The lore behind goddesses walking amongst us and gods being practically extinct was quite interesting. Enjoyed it immensely. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series soon. Truly recommend it. ( )
  LizzieBeth95 | Dec 13, 2011 |

Their power gives them strength…and makes them targets.

Quinn Caldwell is the epitome of a modern goddess. Her power source is the moon, her abilities restricted only by physical resources and lunar phase. She runs a consulting business and her father’s bar, serves on the board of the ancient Society for Goddess Education and Defense, and yearns for Nick Jarrett, professional goddess protector and the soul mate she can never have.

But someone has developed the rare and difficult ability to drain a goddess of her powers, and Quinn is a target. With the world thinking Nick has gone rogue (whatever that means) and that Quinn is influenced by “family ties” she didn’t know she had, keeping themselves safe while working to find the enemy proves harder each day.

But not as hard as denying their hearts…

[retrieved 1/11/2013 from Amazon.com]

Natalie J. Damschroder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible