LOYAL by Kay Jay Smith
113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byOOSABookClub

No tags.

For Better or Worse

In Kay Jay Smith’s debut, “Loyal,” she retells the biblical account of the widow Naomi and her daughter-in-law Ruth with a modern day setting and the backdrop of Hurricane Katrina. I found “Loyal” to be a charming, cute and a quick read. Though I already knew how things would play out as I’m familiar with the Bible’s account, it was still interesting to see what Smith would do with it. Her tale possesses enough to keep readers intrigued. Themes such as courage, love, commitment and loyalty are prevalent.

While I enjoyed “Loyal,” I do have a complaint with its narration. The author told more than she showed. At times it was like reading Cliff Notes instead of a story unfolding. Also, with less than 200 pages, I would have preferred the author complete the story beyond where it ended. Overall, “Loyal” was an enjoyable read and one I could easily recommend.

Reviewed by: Toni ( )
  OOSABookClub | Dec 4, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,248,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible