Replication: The Jason Experiment by Jill…

Replication: The Jason Experiment

by Jill Williamson

See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews

Martyr was a great character. He's lived his entire life in isolation, in the tightly controlled environment of Jason Farms, so things change very rapidly for him once he escapes. He gets excited at the sight of an orange tie, because he had never seen that color before. A lot of his scenes involve him learning new words and concepts, or learning how the way the real world works, from television to dolphins, apartments to pregnancy. His innocence was very endearing, and I was definitely rooting for him the whole time.

Many of my problems with this book came from the fact that I simply am not the target audience for this genre. I mean, the book name-checks Sarah Palin and calls a character a liberal extremist because he agrees with stem-cell research, among other things. The "liberal extremist" is also a creepy sexist jerk who corners Abby, gets in her personal space without permission, tries to kiss her, and pretty much stalks her the whole time. It's like the author went out of her way to make him an extremely unlikeable character. The people who are in favor of cloning are so outlandish and evil that it shuts down any possible arguments about moderation. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
I won this through a first reads giveaway.

I thought the book was fairly entertaining, but needs some editing. Also, the cloning premise was a bit much, without either putting it way in the future, or maybe on a smaller, more believable level. The mix of science, religion, and romance is hard to do well and this book didn't live up to my expectations. Martyr, who should have been the hardest character to write was more believable than the dad, daughter or evil scientist. I found myself just wanting to get through it so I could write the review. ( )
  RachelJohn | Jun 7, 2013 |
I enjoyed Replication: The Jason Experiment a lot more than I was expecting. I was pulled into the mystery and the what if this really was happening. It makes you start thinking about that. I like all the characters and would love to read a follow-up book to this one. I will be checking out other books by Jill Williamson. Good book ( )
  Caj828 | Apr 1, 2013 |
I was completely captivated by the premise of [b:Replication: The Jason Experiment|12078469|Replication The Jason Experiment|Jill Williamson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1325182785s/12078469.jpg|17046309]. It sounded absolutely fascinating and exactly the kind of thing I enjoy to read. I've been really getting into science fiction novels lately so was very eager to try this one out!

It wasn't perfect but it was actually pretty good. I thought it had a very strong start and I was finding it very hard to set the book down for even a second. I was very much drawn into the whole world and very excited to find out how it would all play out. I liked that we were given enough information to keep us interested but there was still an element of mystery throughout the whole book.

The writing itself was very good, I thought. It flowed well and was a easy to read. I am very picky when it comes to changing POVs in books. I think it only works when the characters are very different. Thankfully, that was exactly the case in this one! I liked getting the story from both sides and I especially enjoyed Martyr's view of the world.

Replication does not live up to other books in this genre that I have read but it was good and I'm sure a lot of people will get something out of it. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 29, 2013 |
This is definitely not a book for someone who doesn't care for Christianity in their reading. It does do a great job of combining both religion and science in a nice way since Abby has the heart of a scientist but is very religious and only touches very slightly on the morals of practices rather than the constant battle between the two.

The thing I disliked the most was the first 100 pages of interaction with JD and Abby. Talk about a character made for annoyance. Their dialogue and actions seemed petty and not really critical to the story at all beyond the bit where you get that he's an arrogant jerk, but then it just drones on and on between the two characters until things actually start to happen.

Sometimes it seems as if some of the characters sort of meld. They don't have entirely their own voice so that you really recognize them as being substantial and unique.

It definitely does have the feel of the movie The Island, so if you like that and want a teenage and religion mix, it's an entertaining read. I'd read a sequel in hope that Jill Williamson expands on Abby and others to really cement them into their own being, in the way that Martyr really came to life. ( )
  jes5890 | Sep 1, 2012 |

When Your Life Is Not Your Own Martyr---otherwise known as Jason 3:3---is one of hundreds of clones kept in a remote facility called Jason Farms. Told that he has been created to save humanity, Martyr has just one wish before he is scheduled to 'expire' in less than a month. To see the sky. Abby Goyer may have just moved to Alaska, but she has a feeling something strange is going on at the farm where her father works. But even this smart, confident girl could never have imagined what lies beneath a simple barn. Or what would happen when a mysterious boy shows up at her door, asking about the stars. As the reality of the Jason Experiment comes to light, Martyr is caught between two futures---the one for which he was produced and the one Abby believes God created him to have. Time is running out, and Martyr must decide if a life with Abby is worth leaving everything he's ever known.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:30 -0400)

Abby Goyer, whose father moves her to Alaska to take a job at a remote laboratory, gets involved in helping Jason 3:3, also called Martyr, one of hundreds of clones raised in that lab, who dreams of seeing the sky once before he "expires" in less than a month.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible