Regole d'amore by William Trevor

Regole d'amore (edition 2005)

by William Trevor, P (P)

Info:Parma, U. Guanda, [2005]
Collections:Letto
Rating:***

A Bit on the Side by William Trevor

These are reflective stories largely about isolated individuals such as the priest in ‘Justina’s Priest’, a man who has lost some of his faith or at least lost some of his way in life and doesn’t feel in a position to share his misgivings with anyone. While essentially a good man, at the end of the story we are led to wonder if his warnings about Justina possibly leaving the town were given by him in order to have her remain and keep making her innocent confessions to him, something that lifted his spirits – but it’s a bit of an ambiguous ending and he may have been acting with complete altruism. I think that’s what I like about these stories. Grim as they are thematically, they also flow gently and subtly, gradually immersing the reader in the situations they describe.

Offering an atmosphere but less enticing to me are those with a touch of fantasy such as ‘Traditions’ where a woman of late middle age and a boy of about sixteen seem to intuit each other’s minds ‘because he was the kind. She’d always known the kind’.

I had been a bit put off William Trevor after reading ‘Matilda’s England’ a few weeks ago but this collection of short stories completely reverses my opinion. Just occasionally some sentences seem either a bit awkward or completely elude me as in this example: ‘I wonder when I gaze for a moment longer if what I see is the illusion imposed by my imagination upon the shadow of a child became, if somehow I do not entirely exist’. For by far the most part, though, his style is attractively underplayed, situations emerging gradually without any sense that the writer is deliberately withholding information in order to create suspense.

I particularly liked ‘Solitude’, a story whose style initially reminded me of Mansfield’s ‘Sun and Moon’ although in this case the parents are quietly solicitous even if greater openness would have been more salubrious. The ending is especially effective, being both a surprise and something that is absolutely convincing with the emergence of ‘Mr d’Arblay. ( )
  evening | Feb 23, 2017 |
Not being a fan of short stories, my opinion may not do this book any justice. The stories are deceptively mild, understated, yet providing insight into the human psyche even while it might appear that nothing much happens. Nevertheless, whether the subject is pleasant or repellant Trevor writes beautifully, eloquently capturing moments in time. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Sep 11, 2015 |
This small collection of short stories was a bit of a disappointment. I have enjoyed several of Trevor's novels and story collections, but this one just didn't move me like other of his works. For the most part, the stories are about ordinary, mousey, even dull people living ordinary, dull lives. While this is true of other Trevor stories, his use of language has always been powerful, making me interested in and empathetic with the most ordinary of characters. That didn't happen for me in A Bit on the Side; for me, Trevor's usual poignancy was missing here. ( )
1 vote Cariola | Apr 13, 2015 |
I mean, Trevor is a great writer, but these stories seemed so FAMILIAR. Maybe the Irish village thing is played out. ( )
  Ibreak4books | May 25, 2007 |
His eyes had been closed, and he opened them, saying he wanted to see the stable yard.

William Trevor is truly a Chekhov for our age, and a new collection of stories from him is always a cause for celebration. In these twelve stories, a waiter divulges a shocking life of crime to his ex-wife; a woman repeats the story of her parents’ unstable marriage after a horrible tragedy; a schoolgirl regrets gossiping about the cuckolded man who tutors her; and, in the volume’s title story, a middle-aged accountant offers his reasons for ending a love affair. At the heart of this stunning collection is Trevor’s characteristic tenderness and unflinching eye for both the humanizing and dehumanizing aspects of modern urban and rural life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:54 -0400)

"In these twelve stories, a waiter divulges a shocking life of crime to his ex-wife; a woman repeats the story of her parents' unstable marriage after a horrible tragedy; a schoolgirl regrets gossiping about the cuckolded man who tutors her; and, in the volume's title story, a middle-aged accountant offers his reasons for ending a love affair. At the heart of this collection is Trevor's characteristic tenderness and unflinching eye for both the humanizing and dehumanizing aspects of modern urban and rural life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible