dismiss

Collected Folk Tales

by Alan Garner

113None173,598 (4.1)2
The definitive collection of traditional British folk tales, selected and retold by the renowned Alan Garner. Following on from the fiftieth anniversary of Alan Garner's seminal fantasy classic, THE WEIRDSTONE OF BRISINGAMEN, this beautifully produced hardback collects all of Alan's folk tales, told with his unique storytelling skill and inimitably clear voice. Essential reading for young and old alike, and a book to be treasured.… (more)

No reviews
This Collected Folk Tales is, by definition and by temperament, a patchwork, and reading it is like entering a rag and bone shop in which every object has been polished up and repaired and made fit for use, while always leaving in the cracks and dents that show that the goods have had years of use already. With the exception of some of the poems, there is nothing new or shining here, and the book is all the better for it. If I had small children, or a class, I would read to them from it.

And if, by the time I have grandchildren, there are still public libraries, as I hope there will be, I trust that they will find this book themselves in one (for it will be all the better for not being given or suggested or recommended to them by an adult), and take it to a quiet corner and read.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,881,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible