dismiss

Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now…

Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now That the Facts Aren't the…

by David Weinberger

Internet philosopher Weinberger shows how business, science, education, and the government are learning to use networked knowledge to understand more than ever and to make smarter decisions than they could when they had to rely on mere books and experts.
Recently added byprivate library, qingerqueer, Jennifox, jlicht, mrbear49

English (9)  Italian (1)  All languages (10)
No great discoveries here, but a consistently interesting look at the impact of the internet on knowledge. ( )
  AThurman | Dec 7, 2014 |
I finished this on the plane heading into LA. I really, really enjoyed reading the book, but it is going to take me quite a bit of time to unpack it. I was surprised that its reviews were so mixed. It did not suffer from the flaws attributed to it, I thought. Instead, I think the reviewers were expecting it to put forward a particular kind of argument that Weinberger declined (wisely, IMHO) to engage in.

Epistemologically speaking, Weinberger just assumes that the critiques raised by continental thinkers such as Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Foucault have been shown to be justified. His critics seem to want him to rehash and re-argue these critiques. Instead of doing this, Weinberger points to new ways data is being stored and new ways that people are creating knowledge out of these data as examples of how these critiques do a better job of explaining knowledge in today's contexts than do uncritical correspondence theories of truth or the idea that science is a mirror of nature. (I can see how readers who do not share an enthusiasm for continental philosophy and Pragmatism might find this assumption abrupt, but I would have found yet another rehash of that argument tedious and unnecessary.)

I've too much to say to put into this Goodreads review, but I hope to have a more thorough one up at informationgames.info in the near future. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
An easy read about the new nature of knowing in the hyperlinked age, but none of the conclusions are very profound. I did like some of the examples and especially the advocacy of open access publishing and publishing unfiltered "rough drafts" in science. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Jul 21, 2013 |
Age of books is being superseded by the Age of Networks. What should future libraries look like? Metadata and filtering are important. ( )
  TMLibrary | Dec 9, 2012 |
In his 1988 presidential address to the International Society for General Systems Research, Russell Ackoff, a leading organizational theorist, sketched a pyramid that has probably been redrawn on a white board somewhere in the world every hour since.
Among all the opinions spouted, the subset that counts as knowledge consists of the ones that not only are true but also are believed for justifiable reasons.
(ideas to ideas, people to ideas, people to people)
The Internet represents the ascension of yahoos, a victory lap for plagiarists, the end of culture, the beginning of a dark ages inhabited by glassy-eyed chronic masturbators who judge truth by the number of thumbs up, wisdom by the number of views, and knowledge by whatever is the most fun to believe.

David Weinberger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,710,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible