52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica…

52 Reasons to Hate My Father

by Jessica Brody

Lexi is unbearable at the beginning of the book; she's a spoiled and selfish brat who always gets her way. As the story progresses and she completes more of the jobs, she discovers things about the world and about herself that she never knew. Lexi's family life isn't the best, and struggles with that and, near the end, trying to fix it. The romance wasn't really needed, but at least it wasn't inst-love. This is a sweet and funny contemporary novel that's a great book for the summer.

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
I loved this! Lexi's the perfect Kim Kardashian character at the start of this novel - shallow, prone to tantrums, interested in nothing which is not about her. Her transformation is totally believable and the resolution is satisfying. A real contender for Lit Circles. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
This was such a fun read. I absolutely loved Lexi's voice, the author captured the stereotypical rich, spoilt, bratty heiress beautifully. Despite being such a witch, she was extremely likeable from page one. My only criticism was that I would have liked to have seen how Lexi coped in some of her other jobs, because the descriptions of her at work were the best parts of the book. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
It’s now called the 52-Reasons-to-Hate-My-Father list. And currently we’re on reason #6. The cemetery. Digging graves for a week. So what did I learn from that experience? I learned that I would like to be cremated.Last week, if someone had asked me whether I would read a book that wore the line, 'Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it.' I would've laughed in their faces. But that was before 52 Reasons to Hate My Father.

1. What can I say? I loved it. Teen Lit has never been so hilarious.
2. I actually liked Lexi's voice. Think real. Think keen. Think spoiled but sort of awesome.
3. The story wasn't all about Lexi and Luke (got to love a patient guy), but it wasn't too about "female self discovery" and "girl power" either.
4. I like Jessica Brody's twist on the whole Filthy Rich Diva story.

So, even though everything that I expected would happen did, 52 Reasons to Hate My Father really did surprise me.

Favorite quotes:
Luke Carver is the devil. No. Wait. He’s the devil’s apprentice. Which is way worse. Because the devil’s apprentice knows how evil the devil is—he’s heard rumors about his immorality and heartlessness and cruelty—and yet he signs on to work for him just the same. He chooses to be like him. To dress like him. To talk like him. To follow in his callous footsteps. And that makes him even more wicked, even more abominable than the devil himself.

Oh, I also learned that you’re not supposed to use cake icing to spell out obscenities or draw distasteful images on children’s birthday cakes. And for the record, I don’t know what Neil told you but that was not a picture of what he thought it was. It was supposed to be two people playing leapfrog. Just wanna clear that up.

See this? See all these little white bandages on my fingers? Those are from the iron. Yes, the ir-on. As in what you use to remove wrinkles from clothing. Whoever invented that thing is a masochist. Here’s a question. Why don’t they just make clothes that don’t get wrinkled? I mean seriously, how hard is that? We’ve landed a man on the moon and no one can invent a stupid shirt that doesn’t wrinkle?

potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
This was an impulse read for me. A very, very impulse read. Literally I was on my phone around 10 o'clock at night on YouTube when I came across the video trailer for this book. The minute it was over, I got the book and started reading it. I read until around 1 or 2 in the morning. That's how intriguing this book was. Don't be fooled by my three star rating. If you've read my reviews in the past, then you'd know that I rate books pretty harshly. Three stars just means that I liked it, but it wasn't a favorite. Most books I read are three stars or so.

Okay, so first off, I really enjoyed that this book was so entertaining. There really wasn't a dull moment in this book. Although the beginning was a bit slow, it was still interesting and wasn't boring. The beginning just took 1/4 or 1/5 of the book to really get into the plot, which was just fine. The other thing that I liked about 52 Reasons to Hate My Father was the romance. It wasn't overpowering, but it still there. I think it's important to have a bit of romance in a young adult book, because that's what interests young adults (love. Oh, the love. Prince Charming, where art thou?). Unless you're a guy. I know for a fact that most guys really don't care. But like I said, the romance in here was minimal, but it was present. I've found that this is the kind of romance that I like. I hate it when romance shadows the rest of the plot, and 52 Reasons to Hate My Father didn't do that, which I appreciated.

Although I liked Luke and Lex together, I thought that they needed to be a bit more fleshed out as a couple. They really didn't hang out all that much, and when they did, it was because Luke was forced to drive Lex around and babysit her. I think that they needed more heart-to-heart moments to sell me on the fact that they're in love with each other. I know I'm being a bit contradictory with this point because up above I said that I like minimal romance, but I also like when they have reasons to be in love (haha, not-so-funny joke: 52 Reasons to Be in Love. Yeah, I'm done).

I think the fact that this book was so entertaining had to do partly with Lex's inner monologue. She was hilarious, in my opinion. I read a few reviews where people didn't really like her because she was arrogant, but I think that they need to realize that she was basically raised by her brothers and/or her father's staff. People that were hired to take care of her. I think that if her dad had spent more time with her while she was growing up, then she wouldn't have been so...her. I thought that it was interesting to see the perspective of a supposed rich daddy's girl. I say supposed because I doubt that Brody is a real-life rich daddy's girl.

That's really all I have to say about this book. It was thoroughly enjoyable. I don't think I'll be rereading it anytime in the near future (too many other books that I need to knock off my TBR! And oh, god! Christmas! So many books!), but that's okay. There are a lot of books that I like that I probably won't be rereading for another twenty years or ever. I think that this was well worth the read, and it's an easy read at that. If you're looking for something to just sit down and plow right through with, then 52 Reasons to Hate My Father is definitely the book for you! Or if you're just looking for something to read next, this is a good option. It's fun-filled, and definitely something I'd recommend to my friends in real life. ( )
  torixoxo | Dec 29, 2013 |

Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job…but someone’s gotta do it.

Lexington Larrabee has never had to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand-new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Boulevard either.

Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteenth birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In Jessica Brody's hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have fifty-two reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

On her 18th birthday, spoiled party girl Lexington Larrabee learns that her days of making tabloid headlines may be at an end when her ever-absent father decides she must learn some values by working a different, low-wage job every week for a year or forfeit her multimillion-dollar trust fund.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,447,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible