dismiss

The Screwtape Letters (with Screwtape Proposes a Toast) (1942)

by C. S. Lewis

Series: C.S.ルイス宗教著作集 (1)

In this humorous and perceptive exchange between two devils, Lewis delves into moral questions about good vs. evil, temptation, repentance, and grace.--From publisher description.
Recently added bycarmsoc, MaxinitaN, Jazzybabs, jldevine, private library, bakerdot, Broekema, bread2u, DylanG10

English (138)  Italian (1)  All languages (139)
A delightful read. But after reading it, I felt dusty. In discussing it with other people, they had a similar feeling. It's a fun read, but because of how it made me feel I won't be reading it again & am not recommending it to people.

On the other hand, CS Lewis is a delightful author and I highly recommend him as an author. For example "Surprised by Joy" and "The Great Divorce" ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Word of warning: Do not listen to this book. I found it extremely difficult to get through. CS Lewis is an amazing author, but his writing is a bit tough if this book is read like most books. Perhaps, it was just the "voice" of the book that made it so hard to get through, but I really struggled. I'm giving it 3 stars, just because I know this is a good book...I just had a bad experience. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
This was an interesting book to read as a non-Christian. There were many passages I agreed with on a matter of principle, however some sections seemed faltering in their reason. I enjoyed the format of the book, though the language and sentences themselves were complex and took a concentrated effort to read. One section that held very true (particularly considering how long ago this book was written) was the Toast epilogue, where Screwtape warns of the folly of the democratic idea that all are equal and quite accurately predicts the No Child Left Behind phenomenon. A good read for those curious about C.S. Lewis and his thought process and writing outside the Chronicles of Narnia.
  Welfycat | Mar 3, 2020 |
An entertaining counter factual account of the Christian life. Some of the arguments are a bit beyond me, but the basics are sound. Makes the reader contemplate the real meaning of being a true Christian. ( )
  charlie68 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Short, quick read and yet a lot to think about. Interesting, lots to think about and mull over. Probably one of those books that speaks differently to you at different ages and lifestages. It's deeper than it seems.

I think that this book is readable by non-Christians and Christians alike, but suspect it should read differently. Having read some of the other reviews, I was struck that some found the book moralizing or nonpersuasive. No disrespect, but I don'I think if you're a non-Christian you're in the book's sights at all.

Those of us who are Christians forget, disregard or may feel as if we not susceptible to some of tactics used by the 'enemy.'

I am definitely guilty of the same weaknesses as the mark in the book. It's not that I'm unaware I have weaknesses or where I stuble. It's what I didn't realize was a weakness that is actually what I need to watch out for. That is what the power of this book lies - it's not the obvious 'sins' and weaknesses that bring us (me) down, but the subtle deceptions about my character that become pitfalls I never even saw coming.

This made me examine myself deeper and differently in ways I haven't before, but I'm not sure I would have really internalized at a younger age. ( )
  angiestahl | Feb 18, 2020 |
Clive Staples Lewis (1898-1963), hoogleraar literatuurgeschiedenis, schrijver van kinderboeken (de Narnia-verhalen) en apologeet van het christelijk geloof, heeft grote naam gemaakt met zijn 'Brieven uit de hel', waarin oom Schroeflik tegenover zijn neef de waarheden van het christelijk geloof omdraait en ze beschrijft als belemmeringen voor inlijving in het rijk van de duivel. Op paradoxale wijze en in een stijl die nog niets van zijn levendigheid heeft verloren, wordt hier een klassiek geworden apologie van het christelijk geloof gegeven. Toegevoegd is 'Schroeflik heft het glas'. Het nawoord en de aantekeningen zijn van de vertaler. De laatste vertaling dateerde uit 1947; deze vertaling is uit 2002 en sluit dus beter aan bij het hedendaagse taalgebruik. Paperback; normale druk.

Redactie
added by karnoefel | editBiblion recensie via Bol.com

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schreuder, J.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
-- Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
--Thomas More
To J.R.R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your Patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that omits Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Please note that some works titled simply "The Screwtape Letters" also contain "Screwtape Proposes a Toast". If your edition is combined here and should not be then please be certain to check and, if need be, correct your ISBN before separating. The following ISBNs are of editions titled "The Screwtape Letters" but known to also contain "Screwtape Proposes a Toast":
  • 0060652896
  • 0060652934
  • 0684831171
  • 0805420401

"Our war aim is a world in which Our Father Below has drawn all other beings into himself; the Enemy wants a world full of begins united to Him but still distinct."

Thus is the eternal war for the soul of man explained by Screwtape, a professional devil and  self-described undersecretary of the department of temptation. His brilliantly conceived letters to his nephew Wormwood - a "junior temptor" - sparkle with the suavity of satanic logic and resound with the lofty, near cynical humor which invaluable accompanies a deep-sated knowledge of the human psych.

The Screwtape Letters gradually unfolds as  series of explicit directions adn plans through which Wormwood - may subvert and twist human soul to his own diabolical ends. Fascinating in its cunning and incredibly acute awareness of the flaws and foibles of man, this small masterpiece had been by millions since C S Lewis wrote the first letter for a newspaper during World War Two.
Dearest Diablo,
Hope this letter finds you well.
Your servant, Screwtape.
(LeBoeuf)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,657,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible