The Innocent: A Vanessa Michael Munroe Novel…

The Innocent: A Vanessa Michael Munroe Novel (edition 2012)

by Taylor Stevens

Member:suetu
Title:The Innocent: A Vanessa Michael Munroe Novel
Authors:Taylor Stevens
Info:Broadway (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, ARC, audiobook, Vine, thriller

The Innocent by Taylor Stevens

This was a decent adult thriller. Not great, but not terrible either. What I really wanted to read was the book's prequel, but sadly it doesn't exist. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |

At about the halfway point in this book the story/plot is beginning to warm up. Apart from some lengthy character introductions, I cannot see why the author uses the word " said" so often. Commented, remarked, asked, exclaimed, mumbled, muttered and so on are all words I would expect and be asking a ten year old student to use to make their story more interesting.

Much of the above is exacerbated by the narrator's expressionless manner of story telling.

Thankfully, this book began to be more interesting during the second half. And maybe I did get used to the narrator's tone of voice, which was still not as good as other narrators. Still that is only my opinion! The topic is interesting - once the story develops; but it does take half the story to reach this point.

Read at your own risk!

DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book started slowly, but once the action started it was great. My only complaint would be the author's over-use of the word 'said'. I would suggest that a thesaurus might be useful in future. Otherwise, very enjoyable. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Its been a long time since I read the Informationist which is the first book in this series. I do remember liking it and wanting to return to it so here I am a few years later. Michael Munroe is a deadly chameleon. She can change her appearance, fluently speaks several different languages and knows how to blend in. Her expertise is information.

When her friend asks her to help get a child out of a cult she reluctantly takes the job. She is having a difficult time and is having nightmares that leave people in danger. Hopefully she can suppress this long enough for her to find Hannah and get her out of the cult before she gets moved again.

I found myself a little lost on what the nightmares were about, maybe it was something that happened in the first book that I don't remember but her violent episodes were such a central part that I felt I was missing something. However it didn't take away from the overall story. The Chosen are terrifying in the realistic portrayal of a religious cult and the way in which Michael infiltrates them is brilliant and simple. The characters are well developed with many layers.

I don't think I will wait so long to read the next book in this series. ( )
  ReadingGrrl | Dec 11, 2015 |
Taylor Stevens is my hero. Her books ultimately keep ending up in my Best Of... lists. They are hardboiled, action packed thrillers with a very unlikely heroine.

Vanessa Michael Munroe has been compared to Lisbeth Salander many times. I haven't read The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo so I can't confirm if it's true, but what I know is that Munroe is a ruthless, sociopathic, insanely talented killer and an ultimate anti-hero in a female body. She would fit right in with Kate Daniels, Jill Kismet and Celaena Sardothien, she is that tough.

This book is perhaps not as brutal as The Informationist but still delivers an insanely fast and tight plot with Vanessa working on extracting a teenage girl from a cult similar to Jehovah's Witnesses and delivering her to her parents who managed to escape The Chosen years ago only for their daughter to be stolen back.

As with all kind of cults there are some hard topics, lots of fear and abuse, plenty of painful memories which Vanessa has to put behind when she confronts local mafia working in tandem with The Chosen.

There is no point of me explaining what's happened because the book reads really fast. It's exhilarating and edgy and makes you think, and I totally recommend it just as I do The Informationist. Even if you don't read that kind of books but love UF with its tough broken heroine, this will be to your taste. Trust me. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
. . . the pace has been ramped up to borderline illegal levels. . . gritty, lightning-paced and oh-so-satisfying.
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Bruce Tierney (Jan 1, 2012)

Part Lisbeth Salander, part Jason Bourne, Munroe comes out swinging hard again. Hannah's story will touch readers as Stevens, herself a religious cult survivor, weaves some of her own painful childhood experiences into a gritty, suspenseful novel. Recommended for action thriller fans as well as for readers interested in kidnapping and cult stories.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Susan O. Moritz (Oct 15, 2011)

With The Innocent, Taylor Stevens, the bestselling author of The Informationist, returns with another blockbuster thriller featuring the fearless Vanessa Michael Munroe.

Eight years ago, a man walked five-year-old Hannah out the front doors of her school and spirited her over the Mexican border, taking her into the world of a cult known as The Chosen. For eight years, followers of The Prophet have hidden the child, moving her from country to country, shielding the man who stole her. Now, those who’ve searched the longest know where to find her. They are childhood survivors of The Chosen, thirty-somethings born and raised inside the cult who’ve managed to make lives for themselves on the outside. They understand the mindset, the culture within that world, and turn to Vanessa Michael Munroe for help, knowing that the only possibility of stealing Hannah back and getting her safely out of Argentina is to trust someone who doesn’t trust them, and get Munroe on the inside.

Tautly written, brilliantly paced, and with the same evocation of the exotic combined with chilling violence that made The Informationist such a success, The Innocent confirms Taylor Stevens’ reputation as a thriller writer of the first rank.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

"Eight years ago, a man walked five-year-old Hannah out the front doors of her school and spirited her over the Mexican border, taking her into the world of a cult known as The Chosen. For eight years, followers of The Prophet have hidden the child, moving her from country to country, shielding the man who stole her. Now, those who've searched the longest know where to find her. They are childhood survivors of The Chosen, thirty-somethings born and raised inside the cult who've managed to make a life for themselves on the outside. They understand the mindset, the culture within that world, and turn to Vanessa Michael Munroe for help, knowing that the only possibility of stealing Hannah back and getting her safely out of Argentina is to trust someone who doesn't trust them, and get Munroe on the inside. Tautly written, brilliantly paced, and with the same evocation of the exotic combined with chilling violence that made The Informationist such a success, The Innocent confirms Taylor Stevens' reputation as a thriller writer of the first rank"--… (more)

79 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible